Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Flying

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Flying

    A Fuzzy shot I happen to like

    GRD/GT-1
    F2.4, 1/9 sec, ISO 1600
    British Sea Power at The Loft in Dallas last night
    Last edited by Lili; 12th April 2008 at 18:28.

  2. #2
    Senior Member DavidE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Cool shot, even with the fuzz. In this context, you almost expect the shot to be grainy and a bit fuzzy. It has an especially nice composition.

  3. #3
    Subscriber Member mwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    74

    Re: Flying

    Good one Lili.
    Mike

    website under construction

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Agree, good one dudette.

    P.s.
    Is she being abducted, or what's actually happenin'? Anyhow, I too like the composition.

    Thomas

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Mark, David thanks
    Thomas, thanks. That is the lead singer, he dove into the arms of the crowd.
    Awful trusting for as much as we ALL had been drinking dontcha think?
    Here he is with the rest of the band;

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Mark, David thanks
    Thomas, thanks. That is the lead singer, he dove into the arms of the crowd.
    Awful trusting for as much as we ALL had been drinking dontcha think?
    Here he is with the rest of the band;
    That is trust. Now wait... something's not right. There's no synths in that photo! Any good though?

    But what's really really wrong is that my GRD hasn't even been to a club gig yet...

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasl.se View Post
    That is trust. Now wait... something's not right. There's no synths in that photo! Any good though?

    But what's really really wrong is that my GRD hasn't even been to a club gig yet...
    They're quite good, I have a CD playing now.
    The GRD is MADE for club shooting, especially where gritty B&W would work best.
    Snap mode rules

  8. #8
    Mitch Alland
    Guest

    Re: Flying

    Lili, I like the second picture and prefer it to the first one, in which it takes me too long to figure out what is happening. On the first, I would worry more about one of the spectators breaking a wrist than the jumper being hurt.

    ŚMitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    They're quite good, I have a CD playing now.
    The GRD is MADE for club shooting, especially where gritty B&W would work best.
    Snap mode rules
    Mine called it night at 2.4/800 with some grit on wax trax, the little bugger. I checked just to be safe, and as usual it was snap mode.

    I hear you on taking the GRD to where it can meet other GRDs to play with... it can't really sustain on slow synching sister's kids, can it?

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Alland View Post
    Lili, I like the second picture and prefer it to the first one, in which it takes me too long to figure out what is happening. On the first, I would worry more about one of the spectators breaking a wrist than the jumper being hurt.

    —Mitch/Bangkok
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
    Thanks Mitch!
    It took me a while to get these shots, I finally got some decent angles by hold the camera at arms length over my head and using my very oblique view of the LCD to compose, quite a trick at these light levels

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belg´e
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Flying

    nice, Lili! i think the flying one is superb. you got a huge amount of detail considering.... and i love one with the girl's pointed toe, just so, in the second. the GRDs definitely rock in these situations! (and kudos for being able to hold it still enough over your head.) while i love the depth you got in the close-up Pentax shot on Flickr, these have more ambiance. and you're really getting good framing with the 40mm!

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Mine called it night at 2.4/800 with some grit on wax trax, the little bugger. I checked just to be safe, and as usual it was snap mode.

    Did yours break Thomas? Snap mode works great with the 21mm or 28mm, not so well with the 40mm, as you can see in the Flying shot. The one where the girl fiddle player has her toe en pointe was done with Multi AF. Situations like this is where the marked focus scale and DOF indicator of the GRD II would be real handy!

    I hear you on taking the GRD to where it can meet other GRDs to play with... it can't really sustain on slow synching sister's kids, can it?

    Nope, LOL

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    nice, Lili! i think the flying one is superb. you got a huge amount of detail considering.... and i love one with the girl's pointed toe, just so, in the second. the GRDs definitely rock in these situations! (and kudos for being able to hold it still enough over your head.) while i love the depth you got in the close-up Pentax shot on Flickr, these have more ambiance. and you're really getting good framing with the 40mm!
    Thanks Cam!
    The Pentax and its eye level only OVF are better for the longer shots, sniper style with long lenses.
    That style is good for isolating elements/people, not so good for showing context.
    The GRD with the LCD is far better 'in the mix'; up close and personal while still being able to all 'round you while shooting.
    Or with over-the-head shots like these.
    This is also where the GT-1 really shines, being just as fast as the prime 28mm.

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Maggie O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Standards Are Down All Over
    Posts
    3,064
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Rockin' pix!!

    Well done.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Did yours break Thomas? Snap mode works great with the 21mm or 28mm, not so well with the 40mm, as you can see in the Flying shot. The one where the girl fiddle player has her toe en pointe was done with Multi AF. Situations like this is where the marked focus scale and DOF indicator of the GRD II would be real handy!
    Lili, my GRD is fine but with the 40 it's "I'm not so little anymore"; I have had a couple of GRD/40 shots with which I wish I would have been more DOF conscious. Lacking these GRDII features, if I couldn't at least have the focus modes right under my thumb, the 40 would be a little more work and a little less play compared to the easy living with 21 and 28 on snap mode. Particularly with the 40 I quite often lock a snap mode with point focus/switch to MF, but all the modes attend roll call with the 40 on.

    Thomas

  16. #16
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie O View Post
    Rockin' pix!!

    Well done.
    Thanks Maggie

  17. #17
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasl.se View Post
    Lili, my GRD is fine but with the 40 it's "I'm not so little anymore"; I have had a couple of GRD/40 shots with which I wish I would have been more DOF conscious. Lacking these GRDII features, if I couldn't at least have the focus modes right under my thumb, the 40 would be a little more work and a little less play compared to the easy living with 21 and 28 on snap mode. Particularly with the 40 I quite often lock a snap mode with point focus/switch to MF, but all the modes attend roll call with the 40 on.

    Thomas

    Ahhhh, I see. I wish the GRD II had the same 'bite' in JPEG as the first gen.
    Cause its implementation of MF is so much better.
    And I see where you are coming from on the size with GT-1 attached.
    It's not so bad for me, I just carry a bigger purse, but it is still a bit fiddly.
    Oh for a GRD40.......

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Ahhhh, I see. I wish the GRD II had the same 'bite' in JPEG as the first gen.
    Cause its implementation of MF is so much better.
    And I see where you are coming from on the size with GT-1 attached.
    It's not so bad for me, I just carry a bigger purse, but it is still a bit fiddly.
    Oh for a GRD40.......
    Oh-oh for that with a foveon... FOV, DOF, DR, colors, speed, 3:2, pocket. No purse, no nuthin'.

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Lili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Flying

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasl.se View Post
    Oh-oh for that with a foveon... FOV, DOF, DR, colors, speed, 3:2, pocket. No purse, no nuthin'.
    LOL, as long as we're wishing, how about something more on the lines of digital Hexar AF?
    Rigid lens barrel sealed against dust esp with a UV filter in place.
    Ricoh's superb user interface.
    APSC sensor might allow it to be a bit smaller than the Hexar, say about the size of one of those fixed lens compact RF's of the 70's, like a Canonet.
    Use the extra size to make it dust water and bang proof as well as allowing it a fast 40mm efl lens, say f2 or so.
    Sigh...
    Dream on

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    belg´e
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    double sigh

    Quote Originally Posted by thomasl.se View Post
    Oh-oh for that with a foveon... FOV, DOF, DR, colors, speed, 3:2, pocket. No purse, no nuthin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    LOL, as long as we're wishing, how about something more on the lines of digital Hexar AF?
    Rigid lens barrel sealed against dust esp with a UV filter in place.
    Ricoh's superb user interface.
    APSC sensor might allow it to be a bit smaller than the Hexar, say about the size of one of those fixed lens compact RF's of the 70's, like a Canonet.
    Use the extra size to make it dust water and bang proof as well as allowing it a fast 40mm efl lens, say f2 or so.
    Sigh...
    Dream on
    that would be SO boring... we'd all be walking around with the same camera

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •