Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Opinions? Ditch the DSLR for a small sensor camera?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opinions? Ditch the DSLR for a small sensor camera?

hi joan,
    i shot with the d-lux 2 and d2 for about a year, trying them under all kinds of circumstances. if interested, go to www.pbase.com/wwp and scroll halfway down the page. you'll find lots of galleries. (and you might want to go for the panasonic lx2. it's exactly the same camera as the d-lux 3. and a lot cheaper.)
    nobody has suggested leica r lenses. the 28 2.8 would be small on your 410. i use a number of r's with a canon xti. great stuff. confirmation adaptors for the canon on ebay. believe me, this lens is sharp and beautiful. look at the used prices at www.keh.com they give you two weeks to return it and/or a three month warranty. with focus confirmation you get used to manual focus very quickly.
    wayne
    ps. keh also has a lot of used point and shoots. if you go for an older canon or olympus, you can get raw very cheap. shutter lag probably no worse than the dp1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Wayne,

Wow, such a fantastic collection of theatre images, I'm ALL over it! :-) (Acted in a lot of plays at school and community productions many moons ago, so always intrigued by the subject matter.)

I'd actually stumbled upon some of your shots with the D Lux 2 a while back when I was browsing pbase. Great stuff, you've made the most of both cameras, for sure.

Thanks for the tips, I am a fan of KEH, too. Bought a little Minolta Maxxum 5 there a while back to replace my dead 7000 that I used for eons. Great place to find bargains and excellent service from them.

Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like

hi joan,
    thanks for looking. i keep wanting the perfect camera, but in the end nothing works for everything. so, my plan (or lack of it) is to get a camera and see how much i can do with it. of course, lenses hold their value while cameras inevitably don't. if you sell them off quick enough, here or on photo.net or the fred miranda forum, you can almost always re-coop something. when i want to feel like a pro, i use a dslr. when i want to see how much i can do with little, i'll use a compact (fuji f31 at the moment). it can be very frustrating or invigorating. i do recommend you look at color samples. almost everyone here has shown black and white from the compacts. good luck with your quest.
    wayne
    ps. and i will send them back. the olympus 410 a great size but the viewfinder awful. tried a pro film camera the canon 1n. boy, was that built well, but film is of the past for me. and so on.
    pss. and on this business of raw. if you want unique rather than perfect pictures, i think it's way overrated.
    Last edited by smokysun; 15th April 2008 at 16:16.

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by smokysun View Post
    hi joan,
    ps. keh also has a lot of used point and shoots. if you go for an older canon or olympus, you can get raw very cheap. shutter lag probably no worse than the dp1.
    Welcome Wayne! Glad to see you here. The DP1 doesn't have any shutter lag to speak of..

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, sean. the dp1 very appealing. at half the price i'd definitely buy one! have to wait awhile. love your reviews. keep them coming. this small sensor area interests me the most.
    wayne
    ps. a review of the fuji f30/31 would be very interesting. still no sensor like it, that i can tell. for example, the interior shots at minus 2 ev, 800 and 1600 iso: www.pbase.com/wwp/mandala2 while the outside shots at minus 2 ev, 100 iso. true, some have a lot of post-processing, some not. going for the spirit of the occasion.
    Last edited by smokysun; 16th April 2008 at 09:20.