The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony TX7

hot

I hate Sony & their MemorySticks !
I bought TX7 only 'cause of SDHC :)

... but I take off my hat to good cameras

simonclivehughes

I took my new TX7 out for a spin this weekend. Here's a few examples in P mode with a couple using the close focus macro. PP in ACR then CS4.

View attachment 28312 View attachment 28313

View attachment 28314 View attachment 28315

I think I've finally found my long-sought-after goal... a true pocket camera. It can be a bit awkward to hold due to its tiny size, but it does a great job in producing the images. Definitely a keeper! :)

More examples can be found on my website:

http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Whats_New.html

Cheers,

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Hot has company!:)

Looks good, Simon.

PP in ACR and CS4- the camera only outputs jpgs, right? :confused:

simonclivehughes

Hot has company!:)

Looks good, Simon.

PP in ACR and CS4- the camera only outputs jpgs, right? :confused:
Vivek,

Thanks!

I knew that would elicit a response. :lecture:

Yes, the TX7 is jpeg only. However, my standard PP routine, even for jpegs, is to open in ACR to adjust the histogram for the best tone range and various other adjustments. I then open the image in PS CS4 for further PP.

For those who may be interested, I have a fairly extensive FAQ that I have put on my site in response to questions from viewers. The FAQ covers (among other topics) my Pre/Post Processing routine in greater detail.

http://web.mac.com/simonchughes/Site/Articles/Entries/2010/1/23_Frequently_Asked_Questions.html

WRT the TX7, while the out-of-camera jpegs can be quite good, they still require some PP to get what I look for for my images. Sony, in their infinite wisdom, have not put ANY picture type controls into this camera... no contrast, saturation, sharpness adjustments whatsoever. Not even a B&W mode, so for me, there is still the necessity for PP (which is not really an issue as this is all part of what I enjoy about image making).

Here's a couple more:

View attachment 28319 View attachment 28318

Ciao,

Last edited:

m3photo

Re: Your Slideshow

WRT the TX7, while the out-of-camera jpegs can be quite good, they still require some PP to get what I look for for my images ../.. so for me, there is still the necessity for PP (which is not really an issue as this is all part of what I enjoy about image making).
Quite so. It's definitely part of the process for me too, as is the enjoyment and challenge of getting the best from a "latent" image.
These form an excellent collection of images, not so much due to the camera as to the photographer.
I'm intrigued by the grain in DSC 00154 - added in post, or shot at high ISO? In any case it's "attractive" grain IMO and if it's due to the latter; definitely turns my head towards this camera. By the way, is the screen as wonderful as it sounds (especially out in the daylight)?

simonclivehughes

Re: Your Slideshow

I'm intrigued by the grain in DSC 00154 - added in post, or shot at high ISO? In any case it's "attractive" grain IMO and if it's due to the latter; definitely turns my head towards this camera. By the way, is the screen as wonderful as it sounds (especially out in the daylight)?
Michael,

Thanks for your kind words about my images.

The grain in that particular image (on my website for those looking for it BTW) is probably more the processing than due to high ISO (it was a bright day). I think Hot has some good high ISO examples in this thread already and the camera is quite forgiving even up to ISO 3200.

The LCD screen is very good, but you do have to select "Bright" in the shooting settings for the LCD to use it outside in bright light. Getting used to the touch screen is a bit different. Sony allows a bit of customization as to which icons (settings) you want to have available from the "home" screen, but it's nowhere near as fast as physical buttons would be. As with all things, it's a compromise and takes a bit to get used to.

Cheers,

V

Vivek

Simon, You don't need stuff like PP and such to attract comments. ;)

The price is going down by small increments. My resolve is weakening despite the only jpg outputs.