The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Appearances to the contrary...

otumay

Trust? I trust you always, especially when you have your DP2 ready. What a wonderful mood capture...
Best,
Osman

Will

Lovely image.
Lovely cat.
Reminds me of the late Herman (he was never late for his supper though!)

GX100 Sadly now deceased as well :(

Don Ellis

Trust? I trust you always, especially when you have your DP2 ready. What a wonderful mood capture...
Best,
Osman
Thank you, Osman. This fool really is a small furry humanoid with all the moods and needs of a two-year-old. This is the "I can't see you, so you can't see me" pose. At other times he carries on extended conversations -- or monologues when we don't feel like chatting. It's amazing how these creatures get under your skin and burrow into your lives.

What I didn't mention was that this was accidentally shot at ISO800... and I gave it a bit of noise reduction.

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

Lovely image.
Lovely cat.
Reminds me of the late Herman (he was never late for his supper though!)
The late, great Herman, by the look of it. Sorry to hear that he's no longer with us. I had a Blue Point Siamese for 14 years who died in 1982 and I still think of him -- surprising how much a part of us our animals become, even when you hadn't planned on it.

Spooks and Max came around about five years ago, looking healthy but very skinny. We ignored them, figuring they belonged to someone, but finally gave it to the sight of ribs and began setting food out on the terrace. That escalated to installing a cat door and letting them enter our lives. Max wasn't feeling well one morning about three years ago and we rushed him to the vet's but he died that evening. He was the dominant one and we didn't even know that Spooks had a voice -- but since Max died, Spooks hasn't shut up. The King is dead, Long live Spooks... or so he thinks, I guess.

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

when they're on the bed like that, i'm always glad i'm bigger than they are!
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp
I am always amazed at how fast and dangerous these fools can be. And even more amazed when lazy Spooks shows up with an adult bird -- an animal that should know better and that can fly. How incredible is that.

It is especially sad when he gets a bulbul since we always see them in pairs... so we know that someone is mourning.

Don

otumay

Thank you, Osman. This fool really is a small furry humanoid with all the moods and needs of a two-year-old. This is the "I can't see you, so you can't see me" pose. At other times he carries on extended conversations -- or monologues when we don't feel like chatting. It's amazing how these creatures get under your skin and burrow into your lives.

What I didn't mention was that this was accidentally shot at ISO800... and I gave it a bit of noise reduction.

Cheers,
Don
I'm thrilled by your description of DP2, Don. I never thought my DP1 was furry or that it could chat with me sometimes; neglect on my part of course:D
Seriously, I thought that these cameras produced unusable images above ISO 400. I understand that noise reduction software is a remedy. Thank you.
Osman

Don Ellis

I'm thrilled by your description of DP2, Don. I never thought my DP1 was furry or that it could chat with me sometimes; neglect on my part of course:D
You talk to it, it talks to you. It has to be a conversation. :)

Seriously, I thought that these cameras produced unusable images above ISO 400. I understand that noise reduction software is a remedy. Thank you.
Osman
One of the reasons I bought the DP2 was the better noise characteristics. I could probably have left the noise in -- it wasn't that bad.

I just posted another photo today called Subliminal advertising -- it was shot at ISO800 and I didn't do any noise reduction.

As for additional software, I've been impressed with Silver Efex for black-and-white conversions -- surprisingly better than Photoshop by itself -- and with Noiseware, after trying several other programs and using Noise Ninja for a year or so.

One trick to noise reduction software for lazy people like me is to duplicate the layer in Photoshop, run Noiseware (or other software) in default mode, and then adjust the opacity of that layer to lessen the effect. When you're satisfied, you can either keep the layers or flatten the image to reduce the file size.

That same layer trick can work for sharpening software, as well. And then you can not only lessen the effect, but you can erase parts of the layer that you don't want sharpened, like the background.

Cheers,
Don

otumay

Thank you a world, Don. I did not try Photoshop's noise removal a lot, probably because I did not like what I ended up with.
Best,
Osman