The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Subliminal advertising

Don Ellis

Valentine’s Day is coming – and for a reason I can’t quite fathom I’m starting to think that Ferrero Rocher chocolates might be the perfect gift. I'll admit I've never thought of them before.

Another thing that Hong Kong is crazy for – at least in terms of gift-giving – is Danish butter cookies. You can see the blue Kjeldsen’s boxes stacked in the upper left corner. I must admit to buying them myself. I keep them at home for tea time… because they aren’t so good that I want more than three at a time. Part of any good diet plan is finding things you don’t want to eat and making sure they’re always on hand.

Click for nearly full-size image.

Actually, this isn’t such a marvelous photo, but I include it so maybe you’ll click on it to get the big one. After years of compact cameras, I’m enjoying the level of detail the DP2 sensor offers – so much so that my other small cameras have just become back-ups.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Don

P.S. One other detail: it was taken at ISO800 with no noise reduction.

bbodine9

Don,

It sounds like you are really enjoying the DP2 and just wonder if you have considered the m4/3 format for a little more lens speed and high iso capability. I myself have the DP1 which has is really good for landscape work in low ISO conditions but I will have to proceed with B&W for indoor work. What did you use to convert the B&W photo file with?
Thanks!

Don Ellis

A friend of mine bought a Panasonic GF1 and I tried it out and I thought it was superb -- especially coupled with the 20mm (40mm equivalent) f/1.7 pancake lens.

I convert to black-and-white using Nik Silver Efex -- expensive but worth it to me. If you buy online, use Google to search for "silver efex coupon code." It saved me $30 on a $200 product. Even at $200, however, I would have considered it money well spent.