The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Spooks modified

Don Ellis

Sorry to bore you with yet another photo of the mammal, but I've been watching the BBC's Genius of Photography series and was reminded how lovely black-and-white photographs can be.

I took this one of Spooks yesterday morning on a colorful bedspread, but it was at ISO800, so there was some grain, and I also found some color splotching on his body after I converted the RAW DP2 file (first time for that) – so it was a perfect candidate for black-and-white.

I used Silver Efex for the conversion with just minor tweaks.
Then Noiseware to remove the noise.
And then I left it soft and unsharpened because another thing I've learned from seeing some of the classic photographs is that many of them aren’t technically perfect.

I remind myself that while we stare at our photos and enlarge them to pixel level, no one else does – they have lives and first impressions are usually just fine with them.

Cheers,
Don