The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Two new DP1 reviews

cam

Sean,

wonderful as always, though i can't say i get that excited about fruits (unless i'm eating them). i understand why you did it and appreciate the effort.

what i would really love to see is a variety of street shots at various ISOs. just DPI. i know you tend to prefer cleaner images so i'm curious as to your opinion. also, whilst there's no way you can have comparative shots from the cameras, i'd be interested to hear what you think about the higher ISO images.

i'm in the process of trying to find an equivalent to the GRDII's snap focus and not having the best of luck on overcast days. i find myself needing to go up to 800 to compensate the aperture value needed for DOF or shutter speed is too slow. even then, it's a challenge. (note that i'm shooting blindly whilst moving.)

i know that the DP1 was talked about as a possible street camera, yet i've seen very little on this. you are one of the few reviewers (if not *the* only) that has bothered going into this area.

thank you!

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Cam,

The big difference (with snap focus type work) is that you have a lot less DOF with the DP1 sensor. So, F/8 and a good distance estimation are often needed - just as they are with the M8, etc.

The high ISO color files from the DP1 are, currently, problematic but they'll work fine for BW.

Cheers,

Sean

cam

i do understand the reasons. this is just my first non small sensor so i'm tackling the learning curve. it's something i'm experimenting with as all the words in the world can't tell me better than my own experience. at this point, i'm leaning towards the GRDII always being in hand with the DP1 always in my purse. that's just suits me and my impatient style better.

as for ISO, i personally think the 800 is lovely. most of my shots will be b/w so the colour shift doesn't bother me a bit. i find the texture of the noise quite pleasing -- an enhancement rather than a distraction. i just wanted to know *your* feelings.

cheers.

Brian Mosley

Yes, it would be great to get a sensible perspective on this (not so easy on the dpreview Sigma forum) - if you wouldn't mind revisiting the source files I think it would be very useful.

Kind Regards

Brian

Will

cam, I tried my DP1 in London earlier in the week and even in very bright sunshine I found it difficult to find a snap focus that worked. I did manage to get a three in focus though :/

These two and the one I posted in the other thread. There were several shots that my GRD2 would have managed easily that I had to discard though.

cam

Will, thank you! excellent examples of how good it can be when you get it right. i actually had a higher percentage of in focus shots in the bright sunlight -- but my weak hand tended to decapitate almost everybody :bugeyes: i think the problems we're having is being spoiled by the small sensor, more than the camera operation itself.

and i still stand my flippant observation made earlier, if you take it with a grain of salt. the GRDII and DP1 are the poor man's D300 and M8.