The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Removing Parisian Graffiti At The Pompidou Centre by...

Maggie O

We have:

Removing Parisian Graffiti At The Pompidou Centre by Maggie Osterberg

and...

Removing Parisian Graffiti by Walker Evans (viewed at the Pompidou Centre)

It amused me that I made a photo so similar to one I was about to see.

ShiroKuro

I like that you posted these together .... The graffiti the man is attempting to remove probably has no meaning to anyone .. He seems to be doing a meaningless task ,could be cleaning gum off the street or whatever .

The woman seems to be scrubbing away something volatile ,controversial or slanderous ...I am much more drawn into what was written here giving the time period and all the slogans in the background seem to suggest that the printed slogans are exempt from censorship of any kind because they are posters .. and posters are important and certainly valid no matter what is written ...... they almost blend into the scene as part of the buildings ... just a matter of fact not to be ignored or taken seriously ..... The personal connection between this woman and what is written on her wall is powerful and the fact that she has taken action to remove what is written really draws you in ..... a very provocative photograph in my opinion .....

Charley

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
We have:

Removing Parisian Graffiti At The Pompidou Centre by Maggie Osterberg

and...

Removing Parisian Graffiti by Walker Evans (viewed at the Pompidou Centre)

It amused me that I made a photo so similar to one I was about to see.
I wish I could see these photos, but I guess the folks who control the PRC image filters are blocking them :angry:
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
No, just selected images.
I can see most of my own gallery, but not some shots.
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Wooo! I'm banned in China!!!

I feel, so, so... subversive. ;)
And so you should...
Well, they let through your backyard shot.

They might ban more of my shots too except that I live so close to the People's Republic of Cambridge.:LOL:

-bob

Like esp. the second one, Maggie! Somehow B/W is Paris... It has the mood of Doisneau or Izis about it.

And, I´m jealous... After Tibet, I´d like to be banned in China, too......

cam

That's not surprising, as it was taken by one of the greatest photographers of all time, Walker Evans.
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

thank you for putting it up -- brave, brave girl. any of our photos would pale in comparison!

do like yours, though. it captures the utter mindlessness of the task, that's repeated all the time here... at least the guys cleaning the streets get to peak through peoples' trash, ogle girls, and gossip. these poor sods have to inhale paint fumes and stare endlessly until they see white.

only to know, that tomorrow is another day...

Maggie O

thank you for putting it up -- brave, brave girl.
No bravery here. If you already know your work is boring, it doesn't really matter what you put next to it.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose..."

Joan

I've had to look at this pairing of photographs at least a dozen times before making a comment. After thinking a lot about them, I wonder if Evan's shot really is the better of the two, or if we perceive it as such because of the quaint ambiance of the Parisian neighborhood?

Maggie, I think yours is good. It's right there and immediate, whereas Evan's is at a distance and more remote. In yours we can see and almost decipher the grafitti, feel the texture of the wall, and we can easily identify with the guy who has to remove it. It's documentary and in touch with now, just as Evan's was in that period.

I say, GOOD JOB! :)

cam

No bravery here. If you already know your work is boring, it doesn't really matter what you put next to it.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose..."
just to clarify -- i said your picture captured the boringness not that it was boring itself. capiche?

both images capture the essence of their times.

ShiroKuro

I too would like to clarify ...... I hope you did not misunderstand my post ..I was referring to the graffiti as being meaningless ... not your photo ... Your photos are far from boring ... Your post got me thinking thats all ... anyway Hope my ramblings did not offend : )

Lili

Maggie, Sorry I missed these, I have been so busy with class!
Love the shots and irony.
Graffitti has always fascinated me, you've caught part of it that I'd not considered; the removal attempts.
Brava Chica!!!!