The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tricky Stage Shot with my GR II

H

Hypnohare

Hi All:

I'm not one to usually post a photo on this forum, but an interesting situation came up.

I was on a cruise ship a few days ago and the cruise director asked me if I could take a photo of him while he presented a speech to the audience.

Basically, he needed the shot for his website and the only thing he required was that the photo be in color and I had to include both him and the audience. So in other words the photo was to present him as a man who had experience speaking before large crowds.

His speech was about 15 minutes and that was basically my little window of opportunity to get the shot. Equipment wise all I had was my handheld Ricoh GR II and the 40 mm convertor lens.

This assignment turned out to be pretty tricky in terms of exposure. Because in the little time I was allotted, I tried shooting my subject from many different angles. From the audience, I took a few shots in the orchestra as well as from the balcony. Every time I exposed for the cruise directors face, the audience was way too dark. And if I exposed for the audience, the cruise directors face was blown out.

I reasoned that I might have some luck with a backlit shot so I quickly ran backstage and took a few shots from the wings. While backstage I noticed a small hole in the stage curtain near the floor.

I then got down on my belly, set the focus, dialed the camera to f2.4, 1/30, 28mm, ISO 400 and stuck the lens of the GR II through the hole of the curtain. Using the Live View of the LCD, I tried to time my shot so that I caught my subject when he was directly in between me and the spotlight.

Below is a low res copy of the shot. The cruise director was very happy with the photo.

The funny thing is if I had a DSLR, I would have never been able to stick a lens through that small hole in the curtain!

Levent

Last edited:
H

Hypnohare

Thanks Simon!!

I really lucked out by having the second spotlight (on stage left) which gave my subject light on his right side otherwise he would have been only in silhouette.

Also, had I used the auto focus I would have probably missed the shot. But because of the posts of people like Mitch and Sean, I've been forcing myself to use the manual focus when I am in tricky lighting situations, and I am very happy with the results!

Levent

J

jtolbert

Absolutely magnificent! It is work like this that has inspired me me to put my DSLR in storage. :)

H

Hypnohare

Thanks for your kind comments!

By the way. I really like to be able to quickly change back and forth between the 28mm prime and the 40mm adaptor lens. But I discovered that with my middle-aged eyes I have a tough time aligning the little grey dots on the Ricoh body. So, the night that I shot that photo I was backstage and I borrowed a little bit of white gaffers tape from the stagehands and stuck a little bit of white tape on the camera and the lens adaptor so that in the really dark places (like when I was in the audience) I can easily match up the big white bits of tape and instantly lock in the lens. I know it's not pretty, but it really worked great! When I can I'll post a photo of what this Mod looks like.

Best regards,
Levent

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16699882@N07/

cam

Levent,

stupendous photo! i'd really love to see it in b/w as well (even though i know you needed colour for the job).

and thank you very much for the mod. great idea!

H

Hypnohare

Below is a photo of the modification I had mentioned previously. It's just a little bit of white gaffers tape that makes if fast and easy for me to properly align the lens hood adaptor, when I am in a dark environment.

I am really sorry about low quality of this photo. But I am traveling and the only camera I have with me is the Ricoh. So I was forced to take this photo with the Low Res "iSight" webcam that is built into the lid of my MacBook Pro laptop computer.

Levent