Site Sponsors

Thread: Original Ricoh GR Digital jpeg prints???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Original Ricoh GR Digital jpeg prints???

Hello,

I have heard over and over how great the jpegs B&W are from the Original Ricoh GRD still because of the ability to turn NR off. Although I like to shoot RAW I was wondering what the prints look like from the jpeg files. Also exactly how large the print could be in B&W and still look good??

Thnxs
    JD

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Original Ricoh GR Digital jpeg prints???

This sort of thing can be subjective...I really like the GRD though. I would go to pixel-peeper.com and look for some original resolution pics from the GRD, and maybe make a print yourself.

A lot depends on the ISO. IMO the camera is best up to ISO 400, after that the noise is not so objectionable to me personally for B&W, but there is definitely more detail loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Madmaxmedia.

Would you happen to know the best memory card(fastest raw) to get for this camera. I did not get it for the raw shooting capabilities rather its jpegs capabilities but still.

I just picked one up to satisfy my curiosity, It arrives in a couple of days and I understand they do not take cards over 2GB and sdhc.

Any help would be appreciated.

JD

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's a thread at Ricohforum.com where people tested RAW write time with different cards. I guess it's better to get the fastest card you can, just in case. I never shot RAW with it myself.

You're right- 2GB is the max card size, and no SDHC.

Enjoy the cam, I still really like it. The actual sensor is somewhat outdated, but for B&W ISO 400's look very good if you want that look. 800 and I guess even 1600 can be usable- images still have that 'film-like' look (easiest way to describe it), but detail is really starting to erode.

I really wish there was a modern equivalent of the GRD I, with more dynamic range, 2 stops less noise, but same JPEG processing. Actually the E-P1 with noise reduction at low setting is pretty good in my eyes with high ISO B&W. But it doesnt handle like a GRD.

Also, this guy got some interesting results with high contrast and color settings-
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nacoki/...7594061269305/

Overcooked, but in a cool way for certain images.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you. yes I read that discussion but I thought it might be outdated and another sd card might have come along to make it better, Thanks again.

JD

Post Thanks / Like

Follow this link, look the pictures end enjoy...

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...ght=lovely+grd

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kwelde,

Thanks for that link. I just received the camera but have to get a non SDHC lower than 4GB so I will have to wait to really play with it.

I sold my GRD2 so I can get this. I will get the GRD3 eventually.

Q: Is it normal for the LCD to be kind of overly bright I want to say, like a white translucent film covering it??
    Q: There is not a NR turn off on this model as well I take it??

Prob not since it has low noise already right?

Post Thanks / Like

The LCD definitely isn't the highest quality, hard to say exactly based on your description but I would guess that it's okay.

I don't believe there's a NR setting on the camera, as you say it is basically low NR applied.