The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just to say hello to everyone,

N

nei1

this looks like a nice place.At the moment Im just a film user but am very interested in digital,especially the ricohs and the dp1.Sorry if this is in the wrong place,Neil.

W

wbrandsma

Hi Neil,
You're welcome. And this is certainly not the wrong place. As a film user do you use B&W film or colour? In my opinion the Ricoh's are really great for B&W.

N

nei1

Nearly 100% black and white with rangefinder cameras ,50mm or35mm lenses.The gx100 looks great,Id also consider the dp1 if it had say a 40mm f2.8 . Thanks for the welcome!

A

asabet

Welcome Neil. Lots of great discussion here about those cameras. I agree with Wouter that the Ricohs are excellent for B&W work. Have you done any digital photography? Going from B&W film to B&W digital has its challenges as you probably know. For starters, the digital require one to expose somewhat more to the left (at least compared w/ film), and a certain amount of familiarity with digital postprocessing is generally needed to get the intended look. Have you seen the large GX100 thread started by Wouter in this forum?

N

nei1

Hi Amin,I have next to no experience with digital,all Ive done is to scan into photoshop7,on a friends computer, 3 negatives and then kept playing until the image looked more or less print like.Enjoyed it a lot.Its liberating when cost isnt involved! The gx100 thread is a treat,a real pleasure as is Mitch"s on the grd11 with the 40mm lens.Im tempted by this combination and if it wasnt for the fact that the 28 lens used "square"can be acceptable "to me"Id buy said combination and araldite it together.
Thanks for the welcome Amin.

Robert Campbell

I think the sensor in the grd cameras is about the same size as a minox negative.
Hallo Neil, and welcome.

As far as I remember, the sensor in the GRD/GX100 is about half the size of the minox [8 x 11 mm] negatives - yet much greater enlargements are possible.

Brian Mosley

Hi Neil,

welcome to one of the most civil, interesting and photography focused forums around!

Good luck with your choice for the jump to digital - there are some gifted users of the Ricoh around here... and I'm getting more and more experience with the DP1, plus I'm a long time user (> 6months! lol) of the Olympus E-400.

I would recommend you have a play with the E-4x0 model + the 25mm f2.8 pancake (EFL 50mm).

Where are you based?

Kind Regards

Brian

N

nei1

I have to agree about this forum Brian,I wish Id come here first.
Im based in southern spain.

Will

Welcome nei1

There is no way to avoid the fact that we always find what we are looking for in the last place we look.;)

V

VladimirV

Welcome to the forum.
If you're interested in b&w but do not want to do any post processing on the computer the Ricoh GRD I b&w jpgs are the best you can get IMHO.

N

nei1

Thanks Vladimir for the advice and the welcome,it seems the closer you look at these cameras the more there is to see.

thomasl.se

Hi Neil, welcome,

I Agree with Vladimir on the GRD B%W JPGs, but I will also in the same sentence advice a digital newbie to try out Lightroom for its intuitive and easy to work with interface. The newly released free beta 2.0 incorporates local adjustments such as dodge and burn.

I have the GRD with conversion lenses and if the GRDII was 40mm I would have gotten it a while ago by now. Of course, if you're prepared to throw out pixels, then maybe consider center cropping the 28 to 40 or whatever. Personally, a lot of the time I like to compose with the LCD on this camera and I would much prefer to use more of the screen than a stamp sized window for the 40. But you will likely find it a sweet camera to use with a 40mm VF attached, if you prefer that.

Check out Sean's review site "Reid Reviews" on GX100, GRD1 and 2, DP1, digital RFs (RD1 and M8), lenses, essays, stuff.

Thomas

T

The End Of Print

Welcome Nei1
I'm new here too and i'm in the same dilema position as you trying to choose between the Ricoh's, DP1 and a Leica.

I've actually ruled out the DP1, the reviews of it dont exactly make me want to rush out and buy one.

I grew up shooting film then when digital came along i moved to that - carrying a brick in my pocket. Over the years i found myself losing interest in photography as digital pics were too 'clinical' and didnt allow much creativeness within the camera.
Ive been using photoshop for well over 10 years now so I can do lots with photos in post processing but sometimes its good to have something to great to start off with from the camera.

I switched to film last year and have been shooting with a Holga and LC-A for their quirkyness and unique results - great for street photography.

It was the Ricoh GRD that initially caught my eye as it was almost 'like' the digital version of the lc-a.

This got me into weighing up the GRD/GRDII and the GX100.

Ive been pixelpeeping at peoples pics on flickr and have noticed that the image quality of the GX100 is definitely more detailed than the GRD.
The GRDII loses the "grain" that the GRD has. But the GX100 seems to be a good middleground.
The little zoom on the GX100 is something i wouldnt use much but i would find it handy sometimes - esp when using the camera for more "touristy" photos.
Features of the GX100 that attract me over the GRD (but without the pricetag of the GRDII) are being able to shoot RAW, square format 1:1, the "MY settings".

I realy want to get te wide angle lens with the GX100 too so im currently shopping around for the best deal i can. Was hoping to play shops off of each other taking advantage of their "pricematching" policy but some shops have one in and not the other and vice versa.

Lots of people on flickr groups are still trying to "big-up" the GR over the GX100 but i've still to see concrete evidence - from images - that makes me change my mind.

I challenge anyone to make me change my mind :p

cam

I've actually ruled out the DP1, the reviews of it dont exactly make me want to rush out and buy one.

I challenge anyone to make me change my mind :p
i'm not going to try and change your mind. you've obviously made it up already. i had done the same with the GRD and the GX100 just wouldn't do for me. when my GRD needed to be serviced, i bought the GRDII rather than the GX100. while there are times i wished i had a zoom, i prefer to shoot with a fixed (and razor sharp) lens. i don't regret my decision, neither should you with the GX100. the mind is a very strong thing as is the gut. go with it!

a couple of points, though. first, the GX100 shoots 1:1 only in JPEG, not RAW. only the GRDII does it in RAW.

the second thing is i think you're giving the DP1 short shrift. no doubt about it, it's fairly miserable and slow to use. coming from film as you are, though, it shouldn't bother you. the slowness, i mean. the misery is after you've gotten spoiled by the Ricohs :grin: but if you're truly looking for detail, i'm sorry to say but this is the one. and looking at the images you put up, they all had a wonderful bokeh that you just aren't going to get with a small sensor camera. with the DP1, you will get it with a DP1.

whatever you choose, a hearty welcome to both you and Neil.

A

asabet

Ive been pixelpeeping at peoples pics on flickr and have noticed that the image quality of the GX100 is definitely more detailed than the GRD.
The GRDII loses the "grain" that the GRD has. But the GX100 seems to be a good middleground.
Those are very reasonable conclusions based on pixel peeping at Flickr, where the bulk of samples come from in-camera JPEGs. Whether in-camera JPEG or from RAW, the GRD I produces noise, the character of which I happen to like. Thus the samples on Flickr are charming (to me). The GRD II in-camera JPEGs have quite a bit of noise reduction applied, whereas the GX100 in-camera JPEGs are a good middleground IMO. However, in files processed from RAW, it seems to me that the GRD II and GX100 have a similar noise character. I believe that Sean Reid has done the most detailed analysis of files between those cameras. As you may know, Sean's site is www.reidreviews.com.

N

nei1

Thanks Thomas for the welcome,Ive thought about doing the same (not using all the sensor)for the dp1 by using the voightlander ovf that has both 28 and 35mm frames.Then composing as if it was a 35mm lens and cropping the file in post processing to that 35mm lens.Im not sure if the ricoh could stand such a crop(about a third of the sensor)but Im prepared to be convinced otherwise.-Neil