The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just to say hello to everyone,

Robert Campbell

The newly released free beta 2.0 incorporates local adjustments such as dodge and burn.

Check out Sean's review site "Reid Reviews" on GX100, GRD1 and 2, DP1, digital RFs (RD1 and M8), lenses, essays, stuff.
Neil,

Lightroom 2.0 is a beta, a trial to sort out bugs [at no cost to Adobe] and not recommended for saving work permanently. If you don't have a full copy of LR, version 2.0 will only work for 30 days.

I find LR very easy to use -- it's intuitive but the present version doesn't have any local control, for which you need Photoshop [which I find very counter-intuitive and difficult] though LR 2.0 addresses some of these difficulties; others here suggest Silkypix and Aperture for the Mac - I don't have any experience of either.

Sean Reid's reviews cost a bit - about $30 I think - and are very useful and thoughtful, even if I don't always agree with him :)

N

nei1

Hi Cam,thanks for the welcome.I have tried to forgive the dp1 all its faults but Im still left with that massive red honeycomb whenever its pointed at a significant lightsource.
Welcome to end of print too,lets see where we end up and with what camera,regards,Neil.

cam

apples and oranges

Hi Cam,thanks for the welcome.I have tried to forgive the dp1 all its faults but Im still left with that massive red honeycomb whenever its pointed at a significant lightsource.
i'm in Paris where it's been raining more often the not (but i have had sun!), so i think i've had a total of one shot with the red honeycomb :D seriously, the DP1 is a pain to use, but the output is amazing. still, if i had to pick only one camera it would be the GRDII. it fits *my* style of street photography much better. there were shots that left me wanting, though, which is why i got the DP1 as well and i have not regretted it.

as to your question if the GRDII can withstand the cropping, the answer is yes. unless you're planning to print really large (and even then the answer isn't definitive). it *is* that good of a camera.

and i second Amin's recommendation to shoot RAW. i shot a lot of JPEG and lost photos because of it. the Ricohs love to blow highlights.

thomasl.se

Lightroom 2.0 is a beta, a trial to sort out bugs [at no cost to Adobe] and not recommended for saving work permanently. If you don't have a full copy of LR, version 2.0 will only work for 30 days.
Yes that's true of course. I should emphasize the reason I mentioned it here is all on merit of it's interface; as Adobe might put it, a good "kicking the tyres" experience for a newbie to digital PP.

Regards,
Thomas

Joan

Welcome aboard, Neil. I'm new here, too, but have already fallen in love with this forum. Terrific group of very talented and knowledgeable people. And they are exceptionally nice and helpful, too!

Good luck with your camera choice, I just went through a similar process and ended up choosing an older model - Leica Digilux 2. It's not pocketable nor has the latest frills, but it has analog "film camers like" controls and a fabulous fast lens. Might be an easy transition to digi for you (?)

Best regards,
Joan