The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Pope Does NY /GRD 2

helenhill

Well another Fun Day on the way home from work........
I always seem to fall in the middle of something

helenhill

and some more photos....... Deserve Hell ? / Peace & Jesus Christ /The PopeMobile /Pedophiles/ the Car Following the Popemobile

Last edited:
P

pcheywood

Great series of images, I especially like the first.

Not too sure about the thread title though. :eek:

Paul.

cam

great catches, Helen! i especially like the first and last one. (the second i like as well, but it's more that the one guy is so stunning.)

regarding your comment on another thread, the DP1 is NOT for adrenalin junkies. but you can get off 3 shots in RAW which can sometimes make a picture. it's also easy to carry. in the situations above, i'd suggest using the somewhat slow AF and stand your ground. a small DSLR may be quicker, true, but you're still lugging it around.

maybe the E-420 would be the answer, but i don't know. the small pancake lense could be great! i think the key is swift AF and write speed as you'll be hampered in any case by the larger sensor size and decreased DOF.

the GRDII has just spoiled us all.

W

wbrandsma

Looks really great Helen. Especially the first, and the fourth are excellent. The guy from the "Deserve Hell" photo looks like he comes from .... well, hell? And I love the combination with the "glory days" poster at the payphone.

Lili

Helen,
Superb street work.
Being in the Right Place
At the Right Time
With the Right Camera (ie; having a Camera)
But
Above All Else
Having the Will, the Eye, and the Guts to use It.
Brava!

helenhill

Helen,
Superb street work.
Being in the Right Place
At the Right Time
With the Right Camera (ie; having a Camera)
But
Above All Else
Having the Will, the Eye, and the Guts to use It.
Brava!
To My Lili (and the boys will be all JEALOUS)
Thank You ! LOVE YA, LOVE YA ,LOVE YA, Doll............xo helen

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Great stuff Helen! Scary things happening in Gotham City. Is the guy with the megaphone a giant or is everyone else just vertically challenged?

Tim

helenhill

Great stuff Helen! Scary things happening in Gotham City. Is the guy with the megaphone a giant or is everyone else just vertically challenged?

Tim
Well Tim, if you come to the Gotham City this May
we'll have to stir up some excitement on the streets :thumbup:
I'll be on the look :bugeyes: out for New Demonstrations /
there is always something at the UN
Cheers! helen

pollobarca

Nice pictures Helen-any chance of your keeping the Pope there?
He didnt trust to use an open car then.
The guy from Hell looks like he should go there now.
I wouldnt take sweets from that gentleman with the bike either..

You found a good selection in a short space!

thanks for sharing

paul

les

Great stuff Helen, the almost daily pageants in NYC must provide never ending subjects.
Keep em coming. Although the results terrific, obviously you're right there at the sharp end, so take care - Lili's in her cocoon and can always put her foot on the gas.

helenhill

PAUL
LOL .......yes the man with the bike seems quite suspect

LES
Perhaps for future outings I'll need a Hummer & an AK47 :ROTFL:

Thanks.......Best, helen

S

Sean_Reid

Well another Fun Day on the way home from work........
I always seem to fall in the middle of something
Hi Helen,

I've been photographing these people too (in various parts of the USA). Historically, I think its important that we document them and the message they're conveying - which troubles me deeply.

Cheers,

Sean

Maggie O

Helen, these photos remind me of Garry Winnogrand's work in their balancing of form and content and the sense of humor and bemusement at the world in which we find ourselves living.

The Feleiniesque cast of characters in the third photo is especially wonderful and I love how you managed to capture the fist-waving man behind the old woman, via his reflection.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Helen,
This is a fantastic series. Number 3 captured my attention. The more I look, the more I see. I love the old woman and the character selling Pope flags.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
SuperShots Helen.
We should look at the calendar to see what is stirring on May 4
-bob

A

asabet

The "Hell" guy is quite scary - I wouldn't be asking him anything. I paticularly liked the range of expression in the third one, but my favorite is the last. Great series Helen!

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Helen, They are all good, but I love number three beause of the Lady with the peace bag and number six because of the reflections in the limo then my eyes move to inside the Limo through the window to the crowd, great depth. Good job...

helenhill

THANK YOU
Sean, Maggie, Bob, Asabet & Mike

There were so many Characters out & it was an interesting test in Tolerance & Patience:
between the Police politely harassing me & others to keep moving -
So I would run into 'The Gap Store' compose my GRD ,run out take the shot then be hassled to keep moving in between seeing conflicts with Pedestrians arguing over their rights to walk or stand wherever they wanted, the pro Pope demonstrators Preaching, and the Anti Pope demonstrators focused on the hypocrisy of the Catholic Church through the Ages, Babylon & Hell
and too many people with MEAGAPhones wanting to be heard ........be it Police to control crowds or the Passionate Zealot
Will this be the new fashion accessory ? the megaphone
I wouldn't even know where to buy one

One final note: two fellows were arguing with four officers and were told to put their WEAPON away. I turned to see what was happening and burst out laughing (which seemed to diffuse the tension) The weapon was a video camera and the pedestrian said "Watch I'm going to point this weapon at myself and shoot".
Exhausting & Exhilirating . I'm Hooked
xo H