The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How am I doing?

M

micampe

Hello everyone,

I just subscribed here, but I have been reading you for a month or so, since I bought my new camera. Guy threatened me to post right away or else, so here I am. I noticed I alredy know some of you from flickr or dpreview's forums :)

I had a quite old IXUS v2 (Canon S200 for those across the ocean) and now I upgraded to an LX2 because I decided I want to try and give some more tought on my pictures, although watching around you are noww making me want a Ricoh because it seems people doing pictures I like are all using that!

I like street pictures, and I am trying to do that. Living in a small city doesn't really help, but I am thinking about places I can go so I'm sure something will come out. And Venice is just 20mins away, so I just have to wait for the spring to finally bloom (we're having crap weather for weeks here :( ).

Ok, enough with words, Guy said this is about pictures so I want to share some pictures with you.

These are my first tries in the street, I'd like comments and especially an opinion on the ones with the two guys and the pigeons. I like the tighter one because I think it is more powerful and the faces are way more interesting. But I don't know if the cut head kills it (I was sneaking it to not be noticed). The other one is probably a better composition (remember that I am a beginner :) but not as interesting, cluttered and generally blah... (and I confess I actually cropped it to get there)

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Ciao Michele, Welcome at GetDPI. I think you are doing fine with the LX2. I saw your photos too on Flickr and there is some good stuff. I am no street photographer, though I am tempted to try it too. There is no street life where I live in the Netherlands. A 60,000 people city in central Netherlands, but being smalltown minded.
I especially like the second photo. It is very film like.

There are some great street photographers here on GetDPI, like Mitch, Cam, Ellemand, and Chris, and many more. There work is very inspiring.

helenhill

Hola Michele
Shot two is FAB /Love it ! Fellini-ESQUE
Has that Great cinematic quality ......... which Wouter also expressed re: your work
Cool EDGE to your B&W shots. Look foward to viewing more of your work
Cheers - Helen

Lili

Hola Michele
Shot two is FAB /Love it ! Fellini-ESQUE
Has that Great cinematic quality ......... which Wouter also expressed re: your work
Cool EDGE to your B&W shots. Look foward to viewing more of your work
Cheers - Helen
Agrees totally with Helen :)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Welcome, Michele.
I find #2 is my favorite, but there is something about #4 that drew me back for a second look. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

M

micampe

Thank you all for your comments!

I am happy you like #2 as that's my favourite too, and it's the only one from this bunch I printed, in fact :)

I am finding lots of inspiration from all the pictures here.

V

VladimirV

I agree with the others that the 2nd is the best and a great shot.

Joan

Ditto, Michelle. #2 is terrific! Love the expressions in #4, too. I'd say you're doing FINE! :)

Best,
Joan

pollobarca

Michele,
nr 2 is the nicest-bad luck with the last pic,as you say cutting the guys head has killed it.
I cant get decent bnw yet from my GX100-I must keep trying,although I tend to use BnW when the colour version is all wrong! Like here , The dress came out green instead of black and I couldnt get it right without ruining the red keyboard or the black steinway,(taken with my Oly c5050 and a oly tcon 1.45) so I used a processing program to convert (most probably Silkypix but I dont remember),for my taste BnW is something I use when colour hasnt worked,I admire the work you guys get from BnW (not as easy as it looks) and think i should start trying to use this deliberately:-