The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

very rough comparison of DP1 vs GRDII

cam

i say rough because there were two different photographers. also, mine was not under the best circumstances -- i was shooting JPEG and not particularly balanced well. the image could easily have been shot better on the GRDII than i did (those who have one, know what i mean). it was a quick turnaround and crouch in a puddle to get the moment. the DP1 one was obviously painstakingly taken.

still, i think it kind of exemplifies how much more you can get from the larger DP1 sensor and lens in some situations. this is where it excels! (all that said, i still like mine better:grin:)

my GRDII image: http://flickr.com/photos/glanceorgaze/2247464692/

the DP1 image: http://flickr.com/photos/gaoke/2414668702/

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Cam, I like both those pics by the way....The cameras are different, I like them both...the DP-1 seems to be more contrasty but not in a bad way.

cam

Cam, I like both those pics by the way....The cameras are different, I like them both...the DP-1 seems to be more contrasty but not in a bad way.
you're supposed to say that my shot is vastly superior! (just kidding ;) ) seriously, though, i find the DP1 seems to have very little contrast. this guy must have really manipulated the image. i like it, mind you, but it is definitely not straight out of the camera -- at least in RAW (i haven't played with JPEGs yet).

i've been trawling flickr to view DP1 images and was just intrigued to find one from the same spot (my arrondissement is not exactly popular). it was a good illustration of why i wanted to get the DP1 as well. i've taken multiple pictures of that view (or the bridge closer which is where i live) and the images never quite made it on the GRDII. it *needed* a larger sensor.

when i come across a sunny day, i will try to do my own comparison. it is definitely less professional, but it's something i thought people might find interesting.

a lot of people are saying should i get the GRDII or should i get the DP1? apples and oranges, to my mind. they complement each other, rather than stepping on toes.

helenhill

How Fun is this !! Tres Cooool.......
I agree with Mike / both Shots are Great
however
your train & immediate surroundings are stronger in presence & edge
where as
their background is far more intense (or PP manipulated)
Do I understand correctly that in general the DP1
has less edge /contrast unless manipulated ?

and of course, he missed the train...........:ROTFL:

cam

It's funny how they are tilted almost exactly the same :)
it was a little :wtf: moment when i first saw it -- major double take! i was first! :ROTFL: (i'm such a child)

How Fun is this !! Tres Cooool.......
I agree with Mike / both Shots are Great
however your train & immediate surroundings are stronger in presence & edge where as their background is far more intense (or PP manipulated) Do I understand correctly that in general the DP1
has less edge /contrast unless manipulated ?

and of course, he missed the train...........:ROTFL:
if i wasn't so lazy, i'm sure i have that shot in better focus, sans train. the trains made the photo -- at least for me.

as for contrast, yes, i find the DP1 images lacking in contrast. more naturalistic, i guess, which i think is a good thing. i'd much rather bump it up than pull it down. it gives you a very wide dynamic range. or perhaps it's more a level thing? wider range gives you less intense black and whites? whatever. i like to bump the contrast and adjust the levels, but that's *my* taste. trust me, though, this didn't come out of the camera like that in RAW. as for edge -- the DP1 has it in spades! the lens is an exquisite razor when you get it right. it's really pretty spectacular.

a huge amount of manipulation is not needed for the DP1. i tend to work my GRDII images far more.

cam

p.s. i just realised that my comments on contrast were in relation to high ISO shots converted to b/w -- so it isn't across the board. the large depth of dynamic range can be seen throughout.