The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-420, DP1, R1 size comparison...

Brian Mosley

Hello everyone,

just a quick snapshot, for size reference of the new Olympus E-420 and the Sigma DP1 - it's amazing how close the two cameras are in reality.

Of course, the E-420 looks a lot bigger with the 50-200mm SWD + 1.4x TC attached! I'll have to do a shot with that combination :)

Also, I have yet to source a Voigtlander OVF to attach to the DP1 - which would bring it to a similar height.

Edit : whoops, forgot the shot with the Sony R1 for reference.

Kind Regards

Brian

helenhill

Cooool
Great Arsenal.......thanx for posting
Brian, Do you use your R1 much
If so, please post a few pixs ....... I do remember your Museum shot which was Brilliant with that other worldliness edge about it
Thank You.
Best, helen

Last edited:

Lili

Brian,
Thanks for size comparision shots, very helpful!!!
That R-1.....:p
Cool stuff, lets see some shots from it if you will, please?

Joan

Zowie, the R1 looks like a monster in comparison, doesn't it? Such a great camera though,
wouldn't mind at all if someone decided to give me one. ;-)

Going to do a "shoot out" with these 3, Brian? I know you've been comparing the E420 and DP1, but didn't even realize you also had the R1. You are CAMERA RICH!! LOL I'm jealous.

S

Sean_Reid

Hello everyone,

just a quick snapshot, for size reference of the new Olympus E-420 and the Sigma DP1 - it's amazing how close the two cameras are in reality.

Of course, the E-420 looks a lot bigger with the 50-200mm SWD + 1.4x TC attached! I'll have to do a shot with that combination :)

Also, I have yet to source a Voigtlander OVF to attach to the DP1 - which would bring it to a similar height.

Edit : whoops, forgot the shot with the Sony R1 for reference.

Kind Regards

Brian
Hi Brian,

Actually, the Sigma finder itself is quite good and quite compact. You might want to look for one of those.

Cheers,

Sean

Brian Mosley

Thank you Sean - how would you say the Sigma finder compares with the Voigtlander brightline 28/35 minifinder? I may go with the Sigma one based on your experience...

btw, I really enjoyed your essay on the R1... it's actually not as big as it looks above - the DP1 and E-420 are just so compact.

Guys, I promise I'll take the R1 out soon ;)

For now, I'm trying to master my DP1... here's a shot from yesterday :

Kind Regards

Brian

les

trying to master my DP1... here's a shot from yesterday :

Kind Regards

Brian
Brian,

Great 'sign of the times shot'. Looks like a Bar or Restaurant, with the old Night Safe providing visible evidence that it had once been a Bank. (In the days when there was a Branch on every corner)

S

SimonL

Brian,

I'm sat here wondering how on earth you would get the Oly in a pocket that neatly fits the DP-1 with a touch to spare. There's no way that they're remotely the same 'compact' size.

It's horses for courses with these machines and the Oly isn't a pony :)

Brian Mosley

Hi Simon, I wouldn't carry the Oly in a pocket - I'd carry it on a Y-strap, it's quicker on the draw than the DP1 that way ;)

You are right - it's horses for courses, which is why I use both.

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

Brian,

i agree with Sean on the Sigma finder. it is quite small but still good and keeps the camera pocketable.

Brian Mosley

Thanks cam, is it plastic? I'm keen to find out how the brightline minifinder compares?

Also, I've noticed that if you AF, and then switch to MF - the little pointer flashes up at the AF position for a split second before jumping to where the MF wheel is set. You can use that to calibrate your sense of distance.

Kind Regards

Brian

S

Sean_Reid

Thank you Sean - how would you say the Sigma finder compares with the Voigtlander brightline 28/35 minifinder? I may go with the Sigma one based on your experience..

Brian
The Sigma one is a bit larger and the single set of frame-lines (28) make me prefer it to the 35/28.

Glad you liked the R1 review. It's an interesting camera.

Cheers,

Sean

S

Sean_Reid

Brian,

i agree with Sean on the Sigma finder. it is quite small but still good and keeps the camera pocketable.
Yes, in fact with the finder on the camera still fits in the factory stuff sack.

Cheers,

Sean

cam

Thanks cam, is it plastic? I'm keen to find out how the brightline minifinder compares?

Also, I've noticed that if you AF, and then switch to MF - the little pointer flashes up at the AF position for a split second before jumping to where the MF wheel is set. You can use that to calibrate your sense of distance.
Brian,

i think it's plastic, but very well done. some people prefer that if they wear glasses.

and a very belated thank you for that tip! ashamed to admit it, but my sense of distance isn't that keen :eek: it stood me in good stead when rock climbing, but it's not so great for photography :p

Brian Mosley

Where did you learn to climb?

I was born within a bus ride/hike of the mecca of rock climbing, by the way ;)

Just realised... I haven't got any decent shots of Stanage Edge online - I'll have to pop out this afternoon ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

Where did you learn to climb?

I was born within a bus ride/hike of the mecca of rock climbing, by the way ;)
Stoney Point and Joshua Tree (southern cal).

Just realised... I haven't got any decent shots of Stanage Edge online - I'll have to pop out this afternoon ;)
ooh! i would love that!!! there is very little i love more than excellent rocks! i will have to live vicariously whilst my arm heals, but i'd really like to do it again. when i get the okay, i'll start training in an indoor gym here and see if i still can. there are certain loves that run too deep for common sense to interfere :p

Brian Mosley

Oui :salute: ... started when I was 14ish. Serious character building stuff - I even have a route put up in the early eighties on Millstone Edge... when I was still at school!

Maybe I can get a shot for you :D back soon...

Kind Regards

Brian