Site Sponsors

Thread: And now for something completely different - Casio FH100

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And now for something completely different - Casio FH100

I'm never one to shy away from testing out new things so here we go with my latest camera.

With the m4/3 cameras I had pretty much stopped playing around with smaller sensor cameras so something had to stand out and be different to get me to give it a try. The camera arrived yesterday and of course it was after dark when I got the battery charged. So, today I decided to try out some of its more unique features....nothing artistic here.

I have not read the manual yet!

No PP

First up a picture from my office in the High Speed Lighting best shot mode. So, normally I would chose to expose for the interior or the exterior. I am not sure how many shots the camera actually took (a bunch) and put them all together.

Crops

I met up with Joseph one of our other forum members. We tried the same shooting mode in another torture condition. On the LCD the wall and swing were completely shadowed and black with the sun setting directly behind the wall

There are all sorts of high speed shooting modes. This was another of the Best Shot modes - one for children So again a super high frame rate you don't worry about missing the moment

There is also a High Speed anti shake - multiple shots combined to make sure you don't have camera shake

There is also a night version of this just testing it out last night shutter 1/5 sec, about 150mm equiv. and through a window

Had to play with some flowers - it was windy!

crop

Last edited by Terry; 23rd March 2010 at 21:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: And now for something completely different Casio FH100

Terry the images look very good. This little point & shoot has so many cool features to get excited about. I already made up my mind to just get one. Thanks for letting me play with yours.

DougDolde

Re: And now for something completely different - Casio FH100

Nice shots though I could never live in NYC.

wbrandsma

But these photographs have been taken in San Fransisco, Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: And now for something completely different Casio FH100

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Ramos View Post
    Terry the images look very good. This little point & shoot has so many cool features to get excited about. I already made up my mind to just get one. Thanks for letting me play with yours.
    I concur. This seems to be a remarkable little camera.
    Osman

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow - clever you - this one slipped right under my radar.
    Let's have some impressions - build? AF speed? Lag? (all those small camera problems).
    are you shooting RAW?
    It looks rather irresistible!
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Wow - clever you - this one slipped right under my radar.
    Let's have some impressions - build? AF speed? Lag? (all those small camera problems).
    are you shooting RAW?
    It looks rather irresistible!
    all the best
    It is going to take me a while to sort the whole thing out. There are modes where there is no shutter lag at all because the camera starts shooting and buffering the shots on the half press and then when you press the shutter you are getting a user determined number of shots from before and after you pressed the shutter. So you could have it set to something like 40 shots in that second and then you pick which of those you want. If you make the frame rate too high, you will reduce resolution and if you take a ton of shots, you will have to wait between those bursts but there are ways to set it up to get the best of both worlds. That's what I'm working on learning. Downloaded the manual last night. More to come!

The first post is the tip of the Iceberg. I give them credit for thinking differently. There is a Sony out with some of the high speed features but it is more tuned to regular shooting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah - the manual - where did you download it from?
    I'm interested to see what the limitations are when shooting RAW. The fact that it's so small makes it very tempting!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah - the manual - where did you download it from?
    I'm interested to see what the limitations are when shooting RAW. The fact that it's so small makes it very tempting!
    From the CD that came with the camera . It isn't on line yet.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    From the CD that came with the camera . It isn't on line yet.
    That would explain it.
    Funny how what goes around comes around - look at this from 10 years ago:

Olympus E100RS

I still have mine somewhere!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The difference now is that the whole camera today is about the size of the eyepiece on that monster.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems to be a really neat little--and I mean little (checked the specs) camera. I'll have to keep watching this.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The difference now is that the whole camera today is about the size of the eyepiece on that monster.

Well, you say that but:
    Casio 4.1" x 2.4" x 1.1"

100RS 4.3" x 3.3" x 5.6"

Okay, the lens was bigger, but it was f2.8 as well - and still a 10 time optical zoom!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Terry:

Where did u buy this interesting camera???? (Also off my radar).
    The image of the office interior with both the interior, and exterior parts apparently perfectly exposed is a great example of a shot that is really difficult to take, and pp. It took me a long time with a similar shot

Thanks. Great shots of the flowers.

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bought it at Amazon. It has some really cool features. I'm still working out the details of the best way to use it and want to try it with a faster SD to see how it does. I think it is cool for me because it is so different. With my GF1 I don't really see the need for a point and shoot type camera but the feature set of this are unique. I, however, don't want to make any definitive "this is a great camera" statements until I have some more time with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Which of the numerous settings did u use for the office exterior/interior shot?? I am facing these kinds of shots frequently, and it takes a lot of post processing with frequent inconsistent results to get a usable final image.

Thanks - u might have been a life saver for me with these kinds of photos.

Are these settings usable with RAW as well as Jpeg?????

Martin
    Last edited by Martin S; 25th March 2010 at 09:03.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason this camera won't be available in Japan until April 9. So I ordered one from B&H. Should be here in a week or so. Just what I needed, another camera! But I am interested in the rather unique features of this camera, and since the iPad won't be available here until the end of April, I need a new toy to play with while I'm waiting.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Martin -
    It is part of their "Best Shot" modes. They are the equivalent of scene modes on other cameras. However, for the most part they aren't the regular scenes that you think of with a regular camera. All of the best shot modes are jpegs. This is the high speed lighting option. If you watch the LCD when shooting this, you see the camera do a series of rapid fire do a bunch of shots. You can see the different exposures (don't blink it is really fast!).
    There is a similar best shot for night shots so you can take shots that normally you couldn't handhold and get sharp results.

Now, when it does one of these shots, once you take it, you will have to wait while the camera processes/writes the data. That can take several seconds. I have a class 10 fast SD card coming so I want to see if there is a difference in timing in slow vs fast card.

While the camera can take RAW images, it is not optimized to do so. Looks like RAW is only availabe for for ISO 100/200. Also, the camera does lock up for quite a long time once you take the shot. Very, very surprising considering that it can take 40 frames in a second and store all that data.

Other Best Shot types that might potentially be of interest:

High Speed Night/High Speed Night with portrait - camera detects if you are on a tripod or not. Tripod uses long exposure. Non tripod multiple shots sandwiched together. Portrait will use the flash

High Speed Anti Shake - combines multiple shots. with slow lens at the long end, this could be useful to keep camera shake at bay

Lag Correction - half press shutter get 5 images 4 from your half press and one from your final press. You pick which you want to keep. When you pick which one you like the best the camera learns your reaction time and shows you that one in the sequence first up the next time.

Motion image - use tripod - static background - shows 4 shots in a row. Example they use is a snow boarder. there are 4 images of the boarder jumping - looks like a multiple exposure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill - LOL my iPad comes next week. Had to have something this week.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My treat for this week is a complicatedly corrupt disk on my MBP
    I don't think I'll have lost anything other than time . . . but it's going to be a lot of time (the time machine backup is also complicatedly corrupt).

I was actually going to buy one of these nice toys to play with before the catastrophe, but it seems to have gone on the back burner for a bit.

Still, it's lovely to follow your progress. When does the S2 arrive (presumably the week after next?)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Surely no S2 until the lenses I would actually use exist.

tokengirl

First up a picture from my office in the High Speed Lighting best shot mode. So, normally I would chose to expose for the interior or the exterior. I am not sure how many shots the camera actually took (a bunch) and put them all together.

Very interesting. It's like in-camera HDR without the freakish colors and weird artifacts. This could actually be useful in my day job.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about having someone pick one up for me in the US and send it over, but I decided to wait for the release in Japan. But now that I think about it, I'm surprised that I'm showing such restraint!

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Terry:

Is it a keeper??? I am just about ready to order, but I am trying to control the impulse.

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Martin,
    I'm keeping the camera. It does enough things differently that I like and think is really cool. It is not what I would consider a peer of the G10/LX3.
    I am going to use it some more this weekend and will post some more shots and give more info. Work got in the way this week.
    A friend of mine is a golf pro and they are all salivating over the camera for swing analysis. There was camera like this last year at a much higher price level and bulkier.
    Last edited by Terry; 26th March 2010 at 09:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Terry!!!

I was considering the Fuji HS-10 (whenever it arrives???), but now the Casio may be more useful due to the special modes. That office scene is amazing. Again, I have shots like that, but they required a lot of pp, and the results were not nearly as good.

Since the RAW mode sounds like an after thought by Casio, are the JPEG images adequate?? Believe it, or not a lot of ps cameras have small, and slow buffers so they take a long time to write a RAW image. I would have thought that the speed of this camera, with multiple image capture would have included a large, fast buffer.

Looking forward to seeing more images from you.

Also, keep us appraised about ur Ipad experiences!!

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Martin,
    What I will do over the weekend is put together a video of the camera in action. This way you can see the how the different modes work. The file on the office shot was good. Probably a bit of CA I find in different places but you are right that the office shot would normally be a PITA. I also thought that mode worked really well for the outdoor scene with the swing.
    I am happy to send you some jpeg/raw files. Just send me a PM and I will send you a link to them (won't be able to do that until tonight).

Post Thanks / Like

The silence is deafening! Mine should be here in a day or two. I hope I'm not in for a disappointment.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bill,
    I really didn't get a chance to shoot with it over the weekend. I had some work being done on my apartment and didn't get out to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill,
    I really didn't get a chance to shoot with it over the weekend. I had some work being done on my apartment and didn't get out to shoot.
    Hi Terry,

Mine just arrived, but it's time for bed, so I'll charge up the battery and see what I can do with it tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fordfanjpn View Post
    Hi Terry,

Mine just arrived, but it's time for bed, so I'll charge up the battery and see what I can do with it tomorrow. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bill
    HI Bill
    Good Luck - I'm wondering about this thing as well.
    all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

HI Bill
    Good Luck - I'm wondering about this thing as well.
    all the best
    Thanks Jono,

I didn't have much time today to do anything with the camera, but I put a few quick shots on my Flickr page. That will have to do until I get some free time (whatever that is).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordfanjpn/

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Does anyone know how the Casio differs from the others with the (same? similar?) sensor like the Sony HX5 or the Ricoh CX3. At least I think they all use the same sensor.
    Inquiring minds (at least one) want to know!
    michael

cemtur

Hi,
    I've got my FH100 few days ago and found something bizarre and annoying. If I describe the problem can you please check with yours if it is the same? Otherwise I have to return it for replacement.
    At first, all camera functions work and no bell ringing fault.
    When camera is used in low light condition (in door, home) on Auto mode, with Flash is on, with AntiShake is on, ISO is auto, camera persistently choose shutter speeds between 1/15 and 1/40. And most of the time it's 1/15 or 1/20. If I point camera to a lamp then it may choose 1/40. Then most of these photos come out with ghosting effects especially on kids. Subject must be stand still to be able to get a clear picture on 1/15 sec.
    When there is enough light (i.e day time) then shutter speed is relatively high.
    The most annoying case is, camera chooses 1/15 even if I increase flash intensity to +2, and even if I zoom in to the subject. I figured that also AS cannot cope with 150mm zoom at 1/15. How come Auto mode cannot decide to take higher shutter speeds in zoom or with additional flash power?
    To be able to get sharp pictures with Flash at home, I had to use Shutter speed priority mode, and set it to 1/50 (or more if I'm using the zoom) then it perfectly captures clean and sharp pictures. But I want to get at least 1/50 in Auto mode too.
    Is something wrong with my camera or is this a generic behaviour of all FH100s?
    Best regars,
    Cem

Post Thanks / Like

Terry:

Still have your FH-100????

U mentioned that u sold a lot of equipment, and I wonder if you kept the Casio???

Martin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Martin S View Post
    Terry:

Still have your FH-100????

U mentioned that u sold a lot of equipment, and I wonder if you kept the Casio???

Martin
    Gone - my only current model compact camera is the Canon S95.

Post Thanks / Like

What made use sell it?????

It seems to have many interesting features.

Martin