The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

And now for something completely different - Casio FH100

Terry

I'm never one to shy away from testing out new things so here we go with my latest camera.

With the m4/3 cameras I had pretty much stopped playing around with smaller sensor cameras so something had to stand out and be different to get me to give it a try. The camera arrived yesterday and of course it was after dark when I got the battery charged. So, today I decided to try out some of its more unique features....nothing artistic here.

I have not read the manual yet!

No PP

First up a picture from my office in the High Speed Lighting best shot mode. So, normally I would chose to expose for the interior or the exterior. I am not sure how many shots the camera actually took (a bunch) and put them all together.

Crops

I met up with Joseph one of our other forum members. We tried the same shooting mode in another torture condition. On the LCD the wall and swing were completely shadowed and black with the sun setting directly behind the wall

There are all sorts of high speed shooting modes. This was another of the Best Shot modes - one for children So again a super high frame rate you don't worry about missing the moment

There is also a High Speed anti shake - multiple shots combined to make sure you don't have camera shake

There is also a night version of this just testing it out last night shutter 1/5 sec, about 150mm equiv. and through a window

Had to play with some flowers - it was windy!

crop

Last edited:

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
Re: And now for something completely different Casio FH100

Terry the images look very good. This little point & shoot has so many cool features to get excited about. I already made up my mind to just get one. Thanks for letting me play with yours.

W

wbrandsma

But these photographs have been taken in San Fransisco, Doug :D

otumay

Re: And now for something completely different Casio FH100

Terry the images look very good. This little point & shoot has so many cool features to get excited about. I already made up my mind to just get one. Thanks for letting me play with yours.
I concur. This seems to be a remarkable little camera.
Osman

jonoslack

Wow - clever you - this one slipped right under my radar.
Let's have some impressions - build? AF speed? Lag? (all those small camera problems).
are you shooting RAW?
It looks rather irresistible!
all the best

Terry

Wow - clever you - this one slipped right under my radar.
Let's have some impressions - build? AF speed? Lag? (all those small camera problems).
are you shooting RAW?
It looks rather irresistible!
all the best
It is going to take me a while to sort the whole thing out. There are modes where there is no shutter lag at all because the camera starts shooting and buffering the shots on the half press and then when you press the shutter you are getting a user determined number of shots from before and after you pressed the shutter. So you could have it set to something like 40 shots in that second and then you pick which of those you want. If you make the frame rate too high, you will reduce resolution and if you take a ton of shots, you will have to wait between those bursts but there are ways to set it up to get the best of both worlds. That's what I'm working on learning. Downloaded the manual last night. More to come!:D

The first post is the tip of the Iceberg. I give them credit for thinking differently. There is a Sony out with some of the high speed features but it is more tuned to regular shooting.

jonoslack

Ah - the manual - where did you download it from?
I'm interested to see what the limitations are when shooting RAW. The fact that it's so small makes it very tempting!

Terry

Ah - the manual - where did you download it from?
I'm interested to see what the limitations are when shooting RAW. The fact that it's so small makes it very tempting!
From the CD that came with the camera :D. It isn't on line yet.

Terry

The difference now is that the whole camera today is about the size of the eyepiece on that monster. :ROTFL:

Diane B

This seems to be a really neat little--and I mean little (checked the specs) camera. I'll have to keep watching this.

jonoslack

The difference now is that the whole camera today is about the size of the eyepiece on that monster. :ROTFL:
:)
Well, you say that but:
Casio 4.1" x 2.4" x 1.1"

100RS 4.3" x 3.3" x 5.6"

Okay, the lens was bigger, but it was f2.8 as well - and still a 10 time optical zoom!

Martin S

Terry:

Where did u buy this interesting camera???? (Also off my radar).
The image of the office interior with both the interior, and exterior parts apparently perfectly exposed is a great example of a shot that is really difficult to take, and pp. It took me a long time with a similar shot

Thanks. Great shots of the flowers.

Martin

Terry

I bought it at Amazon. It has some really cool features. I'm still working out the details of the best way to use it and want to try it with a faster SD to see how it does. I think it is cool for me because it is so different. With my GF1 I don't really see the need for a point and shoot type camera but the feature set of this are unique. I, however, don't want to make any definitive "this is a great camera" statements until I have some more time with it.

Martin S

Which of the numerous settings did u use for the office exterior/interior shot?? I am facing these kinds of shots frequently, and it takes a lot of post processing with frequent inconsistent results to get a usable final image.

Thanks - u might have been a life saver for me with these kinds of photos.

Are these settings usable with RAW as well as Jpeg?????

Martin

Last edited:

fordfanjpn

For some reason this camera won't be available in Japan until April 9. So I ordered one from B&H. Should be here in a week or so. Just what I needed, another camera! But I am interested in the rather unique features of this camera, and since the iPad won't be available here until the end of April, I need a new toy to play with while I'm waiting. :rolleyes:

Bill

Terry

Martin -
It is part of their "Best Shot" modes. They are the equivalent of scene modes on other cameras. However, for the most part they aren't the regular scenes that you think of with a regular camera. All of the best shot modes are jpegs. This is the high speed lighting option. If you watch the LCD when shooting this, you see the camera do a series of rapid fire do a bunch of shots. You can see the different exposures (don't blink it is really fast!).
There is a similar best shot for night shots so you can take shots that normally you couldn't handhold and get sharp results.

Now, when it does one of these shots, once you take it, you will have to wait while the camera processes/writes the data. That can take several seconds. I have a class 10 fast SD card coming so I want to see if there is a difference in timing in slow vs fast card.

While the camera can take RAW images, it is not optimized to do so. Looks like RAW is only availabe for for ISO 100/200. Also, the camera does lock up for quite a long time once you take the shot. Very, very surprising considering that it can take 40 frames in a second and store all that data.

Other Best Shot types that might potentially be of interest:

High Speed Night/High Speed Night with portrait - camera detects if you are on a tripod or not. Tripod uses long exposure. Non tripod multiple shots sandwiched together. Portrait will use the flash

High Speed Anti Shake - combines multiple shots. with slow lens at the long end, this could be useful to keep camera shake at bay

Lag Correction - half press shutter get 5 images 4 from your half press and one from your final press. You pick which you want to keep. When you pick which one you like the best the camera learns your reaction time and shows you that one in the sequence first up the next time.

Motion image - use tripod - static background - shows 4 shots in a row. Example they use is a snow boarder. there are 4 images of the boarder jumping - looks like a multiple exposure.

jonoslack

Bill - LOL my iPad comes next week. Had to have something this week.
My treat for this week is a complicatedly corrupt disk on my MBP:cry:
I don't think I'll have lost anything other than time . . . but it's going to be a lot of time (the time machine backup is also complicatedly corrupt).

I was actually going to buy one of these nice toys to play with before the catastrophe, but it seems to have gone on the back burner for a bit.

Still, it's lovely to follow your progress. When does the S2 arrive (presumably the week after next?):ROTFL: