The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-420 or E-510?

Maggie O

It's a lens, made by Leica and Panasonic, for the 4/3rds system. It would work with an Olympus camera, too.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's a lens, made by Leica and Panasonic, for the 4/3rds system. It would work with an Olympus camera, too.
There are actually 4 Leica/Panasonic lenses for 4/3 at the moment: 25, 14-50, 14-50 and 14-150. If Brian and his photos are to be believed, the 14-150 runs circles around other mega-zooms for DSLRs. It's expensive, but hey, it's only money :LOL:

Brian Mosley

cam, welcome to the world of Olympus colours! lol

...that shot was taken with the E-420 + the Leica 14-150mm OIS lens, which Mike Hatam has recently ordered as part of his travel kit... so hopefully we'll see lots more examples in due course.

The question, I think Maggie was asking, was whether the Leica OIS lenses were available seperate to the bundles with the L1/L10... I think they are, but to be honest, the 12-60mm SWD is imho a better option for the short zooms - the 4/3rds Leica primes and the Leica 14-150mm OIS are certainly available seperately - and well worth adding to any 4/3rd kit. (edit : doh! didn't read this 2nd page of responses, thanks Maggie, Jorgen :)

I suspect the 14-150mm OIS zoom will be getting some gorgeous shots of big cats this weekend... provided the sun is with us (otherwise we'll be shooting with the weatherproof E-3 + ZD combinations! lol)

p.s. the 14-150mm OIS could just be the best ever travel lens for the E-420, providing optical image stabilisation and supreme image quality for an EFL of 28-300mm - although, I think I prefer the 12-60mm SWD - it's bombproof, and super sharp!

Kind Regards

Brian

Last edited:

cam

thank you so much -- Maggie, Jorgen, and Brian.

Brian -- i'm really amazed that was on the E-420. i was positive it was taken with the E3. we'll go for the 12-60mm initially, but it's great to know that there is such an awesome lens available. (you know i'm going to have to borrow the cam :D )

i look forward to seeing the shots you get of the cats with it this weekend!

Brian Mosley

One thing people seem to miss about the E-420, it's a super compact DSLR with an E3(arguably +) sensor...

so I find myself preferring to attach even my larger lenses to the E-420, because the body size has a significant effect on the overall bulk - the body just becomes an insignificant attachment to the lens.

The plastic kit lenses (ultra compact 14-42 and 40-150) are excellent optically, but the 12-60mm and similar - though more expensive deliver their worth in image quality... you can always add more by investing in better quality glass.

Hope that makes sense, your BF will love his E-420... if he can get it away from you cam ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

LOL! this is *his* purchase! :ROTFL:

i'm really bummed that the bundled kit with the pancake won't be out til too late, as that's what i'd likely use :D

i also am having to coax him back softly to the E-420. seems he read somewhere that the grip on the E-510 is nicer and he's convinced it will fit much better in his hands.
:cussing:

on the plus side, if i don't succeed but like the gestalt of his E-510, i can always get the E-420 myself and know that we've got some really good lens to swap.

i have become obsessed with lenses after getting the DP1 (i'd been afraid that would happen). at least i'll have that to piddle around with on holiday.

btw, Brian. you and i take completely different photographs, but i do admire what you do. they show how astonishing the lenses can actually be, whereas i go for more expressive shots which muddy the water. i'd love to go on Safari with you sometime, though, just to try my hand.

cheers!

Last edited:
A

asabet

Amin -- sorry about your wife. you'll have to dump her and marry me ;) (just kidding)
My wife already dislikes the amount of time I spend discussing cameras and photography. Now if she sees this... :p

it may come down to whether he can even get the E-420... can't seem to find it here in Paris (he wanted to see which camera felt right in his hands) and isn't expected to arrive in the US until the 20th... we get into NYC on the 6th. where did you get yours?
I got mine from 17th St Photo (17photo.com). It was my first purchase from them, and based on that experience I would buy there again. They are located in NY and currently have it in stock. B&H has it as well, so you have at least those two options for buying in NYC.

cam

My wife already dislikes the amount of time I spend discussing cameras and photography. Now if she sees this... :p
:ROTFL: blackmail! :p

I got mine from 17th St Photo (17photo.com). It was my first purchase from them, and based on that experience I would buy there again. They are located in NY and currently have it in stock. B&H has it as well, so you have at least those two options for buying in NYC.
thank you! that's what i was looking for -- somebody that had the body only so we could buy the better lens.

unfortunately, he's back on the riff that IS on the E-510 will allow him to shoot lower ISO which will mean less noise and everyone knows the best photographs in the world were shot at 400/800 max. :rolleyes:

i'm close to giving up trying to be of any assistance... and i still haven't told him about the DP1. yikes! i am in soooo much trouble :eek:

jonoslack

:ROTFL: blackmail! :p

thank you! that's what i was looking for -- somebody that had the body only so we could buy the better lens.

unfortunately, he's back on the riff that IS on the E-510 will allow him to shoot lower ISO which will mean less noise and everyone knows the best photographs in the world were shot at 400/800 max. :rolleyes:

i'm close to giving up trying to be of any assistance... and i still haven't told him about the DP1. yikes! i am in soooo much trouble :eek:
Dunno about blackmail, but you proposed to ME last week (what WOULD your boyfriend think about all of this!).
:lecture::lecture:

I'm chipping in here - I think Brian's right about 4/3, it's all about the lenses. IMHO the 12-60 is one of the best and most useful lenses you can get on any system. It's also the reason why Maggie's remark about the D300 is problematic - it seems to me that Nikon have a real hole in their lineup for good quality mid range lenses . . of course, if you want to buy/carry the new f2.8 zooms that's QUITE a different proposition.

If you're going to buy him a lens, get the 12-60 rather than the 14-54. I have both, and although the quality is probably similar that extra bit of reach at each end on the 12-60 really is telling.

It's really a pity that the E520 isn't around - the size difference between the E4x and the E5x really only amounts to the size of the grip, and the image stabilisation works so well, but it seems to me that the E420 does have a considerably better sensor than the E510.

cam

Dunno about blackmail, but you proposed to ME last week (what WOULD your boyfriend think about all of this!).
:lecture::lecture:

I'm chipping in here - I think Brian's right about 4/3, it's all about the lenses. IMHO the 12-60 is one of the best and most useful lenses you can get on any system. It's also the reason why Maggie's remark about the D300 is problematic - it seems to me that Nikon have a real hole in their lineup for good quality mid range lenses . . of course, if you want to buy/carry the new f2.8 zooms that's QUITE a different proposition.

If you're going to buy him a lens, get the 12-60 rather than the 14-54. I have both, and although the quality is probably similar that extra bit of reach at each end on the 12-60 really is telling.

It's really a pity that the E520 isn't around - the size difference between the E4x and the E5x really only amounts to the size of the grip, and the image stabilisation works so well, but it seems to me that the E420 does have a considerably better sensor than the E510.
what can i say, Jono, i'm a slut.

i think i proposed to Maggie before that. (problem being that you'll only marry me if you can live in Paris and i'm kind of not here officially...) and i proposed to frenchman today in the camera store who was buying a nice Pentax for his girlfriend. he told me that was the french way of things -- it makes her happy so he buys.... but i got a Scot :wtf:

thank you for input. i know he wants it for this holiday, but if it was me i would wait for the E-520 as well. he's having none of it. and if he ends up giving me his hand-me-down in the future because he's enjoying the Oly system, i'd rather have the E-420 with the option to buy an IS lens....

as for the 12-60mm, don't think that's happening either. he thinks it looks really ugly when it extends :banghead:

i'd be going a little more mad if it wasn't for having a joyous day on Beaumarchais playing with an RD-1 for sale -- sweet! now if only i could get that frenchman to marry me....

but with you, Jono, i could... was it the black? :ROTFL:

oh, and, Amin, sent Alex in Italy to your site. his brother is very interested in using the DP1 for aerial photography out of a helicopter :D

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Hi cam,

.... but i got a Scot :wtf:
we know how you feel, we've got a Scot running the country! :ROTFL: (I was going to say something less politically correct... but I remembered this was a public forum)

Sounds like a great plan... let him buy the E-420, and pass it on to you in due course ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

helenhill

hey Cam
I've got a SCOT toooooo....

So what is this about the RD1 for sale???
How was it ? Did the Lust Bug bite ?
I can only find the RD on Ebay in Japan
& I'm not that daring to do business that way........

Best,h

Last edited:

cam

we know how you feel, we've got a Scot running the country! :ROTFL: (I was going to say something less politically correct... but I remembered this was a public forum)

Sounds like a great plan... let him buy the E-420, and pass it on to you in due course ;)
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

looks like it's going to be an E-510 so.... but at least he's gone back to quality over beauty, and the 12-60mm is back in the picture (whoever gave it an award, bless you!).

I've got a SCOT toooooo....

So what is this about the RD1 for sale???
How was it ? Did the Lust Bug bite ?
I can only find the RD on Ebay in Japan
& I'm not that daring to do business that way........
ach, poor you! ;)

lust? actually yes and no. yes because i do, no because i know i shouldn't... i really don't have the money maybe if i wasn't buying the lens for my Scot... think i may start a new thread on this. with summer and shadows coming up and my arm (hopefully) healing, i'm really wanting to get more into available light stuff. the RD-1 does exquisite, very film-like, b/w and can really stand up to high ISO. and i loved the way it felt, cocking the shutter...

oops! said i was going to start another thread. shut my mouth! off to sleep now. shot a lot today and my arm is screaming. (another reason i liked the RD-1, though -- it felt so damned good in my left hand whilst shooting that it was actually much less stressful than my teensy cams to shoot. go figure!

bonsoir

cam

Amin,

just a quickie for recommending 17th St. we got off the plane, went to B&H and they didn't have a 12-60 to play around with so we walked... to 17th St. he is now the proud owner of an E-510 (very nice grip, btw) and a 12-60 beautiful lens.

currently in hotel room, ready to slit his wrist trying to open the card plastic without scissors :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: he may get it open before we leave new york.

ta

Brian Mosley

Hi cam, how exciting! that should be a fabulous combination... will he be shooting JPEG or raw? I think you get quite a bit more DR in RAW, due to the contrasty tone curves used for JPEG - although there are settings you can use to maximize DR in JPEG.

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

Hi cam, how exciting! that should be a fabulous combination... will he be shooting JPEG or raw? I think you get quite a bit more DR in RAW, due to the contrasty tone curves used for JPEG - although there are settings you can use to maximize DR in JPEG.
he'll be shooting RAW, but seems to have gotten small cards and may have to revert to JPEG for long days out. any recommendations for those times would truly be appreciated.

btw, the grip really is gorgeous to have with the larger lens. mind you, i don't really have the strength to use it right now anyways, but he seems to be a happy puppy.

NYC is just heavenly to shoot! i feel like a kid in a candy bowl :D

Brian Mosley

I hope you will post some pics :)

I'll get back to you on those ideal jpeg settings... just checking now.

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

i don't think he's going to let me touch his baby today :cool:

as for me, didn't even pull out the DP1 yesterday. all GRDII shots. the few times i could have used the DP1 it took to long to start up. hopefully today, but i'm not really bitching. i had a blast and that's what it's all about.

as i said in another thread, colour has been a big thing for me here which is really an odd sensation. it will be quite interesting to compare the colours of the GRDII, DP1, and the Oly. somehow, i'm thinking that the hyper colours of the two compacts might win out for expression in the city. we shall see...

and p.s. to Helen (i know you're lurking). were both passed out when you rang :eek: thought it was the middle of the night and it was only about 15 minutes after we hit the sheets :p

Brian Mosley

Hi cam, make sure you keep your battery charged on the DP1 (do you have a spare?)... and have you configured the power down option to stop it retracting your lens? that will save you time if you're street shooting...

What lens did you BF end up getting? if the 12-60, how does it go with the E-510? is it well balanced?

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

battery charged but need to find extras here (unavailable in france). i have it set to not power down, but frankly it was never even turned on yesterday :rolleyes: i was having too much fun with the quicker cam.

he got the 12-60 and it feels superb on the E-510. i imagine the balance is much better than it would be on the E-420. the lens just seems too much for the E-420, but just about perfect for the E-510 and the E3. i sent him out to take pics outside and may have lost him for the day :ROTFL:

if he ever comes back we're off to GRound Zero and a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. this is his first NYC visit and i'm just marveling in the changes since i lived her in the early 80's. i've been here several times since, mind you, but always for work at trade shows so i never got a chance to troll. the changes are astounding.