The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-420 or E-510?

Brian Mosley

Hi cam, I've found that the large lenses all work great on the E-420, in fact the camera sort of 'takes on' the character of the lens attached (since it's so light) - so fitted with the 12-60mm SWD it feels really fantastically 'solid'... even the shutter release sounds more damped (not surprising really!)

You don't so much put the lens on the camera... rather it's like putting the camera on the lens :D

Anyhow, having consulted with my expert E-510 owning, jpeg shooting friend Adam-T... here are the optimum jpeg settings, straight from the horse's mouth :lecture:

"Muted mode on Sharp-2, Cont -1, Sat +2 and NF on OFF and Sharpened in Photoshop ..

Muted mode reduces stuff in itself so those settings are like normal mode with Sharp-3 (which doesn`t exist) Cont -2 and Sat +2 and the NF even more off ..basically in Normal mode, even with the Sharpness on lowest, there are still crude haloes so Muted is needed .. ."

Hope you can make sense of that :ROTFL:

And let us know if your BF finds his way home ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

By the way...

battery charged but need to find extras here (unavailable in france). i have it set to not power down, but frankly it was never even turned on yesterday :rolleyes: i was having too much fun with the quicker cam.
...that's what it feels like when you have the E-420 + pancake fitted - super responsive, ready to go and no fuss! And it fits in the large pocket of my photographers vest easy :clap:

Kind Regards

Brian

cam

thank you for all the info, Brian.

today we ran into an experience where you want/need an SLR with great a great lens and fast responsiveness. BF got amazing pics and me, with my 28mm (even the DP1), was **** out of a luck. and then earlier there was a troupe of acrobats at Battery Park... sigh... the Oly was amazing!