The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Garden Owl

Don Ellis

This was shot yesterday at the same time of day as the two recent “Spooks on the terrace” photos – which is to say it was sunny. But in Sigma’s ProPhoto, I set the exposure to -0.5 and X3 Fill Light to -0.3 to give it a darker look. And in Photoshop, I set Highlights to 20 to knock the sun off Mr. Owl's beak. Then I put a slight negative curve in the Shadows to make them a little darker (“I don’t lose detail in the shadows – I throw it there”).

Anyway, here’s the result. Yesterday, I was so focused on the animal that I ignored everything else. Today, I went back and found this one – and it reminded me that the real reason I went to the terrace wasn’t to see Spooks but to wander around Leela’s Garden and admire all the care and attention she's put in. Also, I thought I'd see if the plants were dead. She’s in Penang and I’m having to water these guys. :)

Click image for larger size. Frankly, the larger sizes are about all that matter. I was always content to throw compact-camera images up on the web; in fact, they often looked better smaller. But with the DP2, and I suppose all Foveons, you really only want to look at the original and admire the detail in the photo. (So clickhttp://www.kleptography.com/dl/dp2/gardenowl.jpg – it’s only 600KB and you can't see the rusty chain that hangs him unless you do. :))

DP2, ISO100, f/5.06, 1/160s

Don

Will

Some flowers are beginning to appear here now as well. Not as beautifully taken as yours perhaps but cheerful none the less.

DP1

bbodine9

Will and Don a question please!

Can both of you please share how you processed these photos. Don especially the one with the red flowers in it. Will, your capture has a great mood to it that I really like. Thanks fellas!

Bruce

pollobarca

Don, Will ,
a great start to spring. Details with the Sigma cameras are so impressive too.
Really like the piece of string in yours will, makes the picture.
Here its been raining all week and when it stopped I was working, so no picture taking . Well apart from a few today. I want to break out my C5050z this week

b rgds

paul

bensonga

Beautiful images. Much appreciated. It's snowing here again today....but I know Spring will arrive eventually.

Gary

Will

Thanks Paul, I like the string as well.

Bruce, that effect is achieved with a bit of minus X3 Fill light and Shadow in Sigma Photo Pro. Shadow -0.6, X3 Fill Light -0.8 or you can get a very etherial look by pushing the X3 Fill Light even further down. Having said this I think the contrast between the out of focus leaves and the sharp string jeux de position effects it as well.

Last edited:

Don Ellis

Some flowers are beginning to appear here now as well. Not as beautifully taken as yours perhaps but cheerful none the less.
Love the background, the colors and the string. If we have a few more flowers, it's because we're in the semi-tropics and the warm weather has been coming in waves -- alternating with cold winter monsoons blowing down from China. We're in the warm week right now, but the plants decided they were tired of waiting and bloomed some time ago.

Cheers,
Don

Don Ellis

Re: Will and Don a question please!

Can both of you please share how you processed these photos. Don especially the one with the red flowers in it. Will, your capture has a great mood to it that I really like. Thanks fellas!
Bruce
I think I hit the high points in my first message regarding processing. If there's a particular question you have, I'd be glad to answer it.

Don

Don Ellis

Don, Will ,
a great start to spring. Details with the Sigma cameras are so impressive too.
Really like the piece of string in yours will, makes the picture.
Here its been raining all week and when it stopped I was working, so no picture taking . Well apart from a few today. I want to break out my C5050z this week
b rgds
paul
It's definitely spring, as I also noted in another thread about taxis. It's been sunny the past couple of days -- maybe I'll break out one of the infrareds tomorrow and see if the love is still there. :)

Don

Don Ellis

Beautiful images. Much appreciated. It's snowing here again today....but I know Spring will arrive eventually.
Gary
I grew up with snow but it's been so long I can hardly recall it. Well, except for some of the pain... so I'm glad to share these with you.

Don

pollobarca

finally some spring time shots with the GX100. PP with Rawtherapee and GIMP,
these are daffodils blown down by air currents. Not a good spot for these flowers.
Exposure: 0.001 sec (1/760)
Aperture: f/6.4
Focal Length: 8.8 mm
ISO Speed: 80
Exposure Bias: -0.3 EV

then this is across the road from where I live
Exposure: 0.003 sec (1/380)
Aperture: f/5.7
Focal Length: 5.1 mm
ISO Speed: 80
Exposure Bias: -0.3 EV

pollobarca

Thanks Wayne,
you have to make an effort to use the older cameras... My C5050z is following me around this week.
paul