The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Colour accuracy

Will

I find the DP1 colour accuracy to be very close to the real thing. These bluebells usually come out slightly wrong with other cameras but the DP1 does quite a good job capturing the subtlety of the blue.

I'm not so happy with the distracting blurred left foreground but that is my fault, not the cameras!

helenhill

Wow .....that is Utterly FANTASTIC
The Train shot blows my Mind
Well Done Will........Love it
Detail Extraodinaire
The more I SEE the more I WANT / All the Best, Helen

DavidE

Will, I especially like the train photo.

Based on what we've seen so far, the DP1 really shines when there's a lot of light, there are foreground and background elements to highlight the detail, and there are strong colors that favor the Foveon sensor.

Were these shot wide-open at F4, or was there enough light to stop it down a notch or two? I've been using F4, 1/50, and ISO 100 for most shots (previously 1/40).

jonoslack

Not so convinced by the bluebells, but that tube shot is fab Will. I'm assuming it was stopped down quite a lot to get that depth of field, and you're right, the colours look fine.

S

SLLDPI

The Subway Car

What a brilliant example of making the ordinary extraordinary! A beautiful image.

Will

Thanks for all the positive comment people.
It's great when you are sitting somewhere and see in your minds eye what you think would make a good image and manage to get in into you camera. So often it doesn't work out though.
Looking back at the file info I was surprised to see that it was taken at F4.5 1/40s ISO200.
You can see that the first red post is slightly out of focus, but I think the eye gets taken to the detail elsewhere, so it doesn't detract from the feeling of a good dof.

That bogost link was interesting Brian (even after a couple to many glasses of wine with my Thai takaway!)

Last edited:
A

asabet

I'll add my voice to the others here - these are really great! Especially like the train shot, where the light and color are something special.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I am getting very impressed by this camera from the images I have seen. Not sure how it is working out technical because i have not read much on it but the images i see are really good. I do like the train shot as well Will.

Will

Thanks Guy and Amin.
My only problem with the DP1 at the moment is not having as much time as I would like to be using it to find out what it can really do!

I think we should start a DP1 image thread that we all post on but for now here is another shot from London.

F7.1 1/125s ISO 100

S

Sean_Reid

I find the DP1 colour accuracy to be very close to the real thing. These bluebells usually come out slightly wrong with other cameras but the DP1 does quite a good job capturing the subtlety of the blue.

I'm not so happy with the distracting blurred left foreground but that is my fault, not the cameras!

On that specific question of color accuracy. I photographed a still life group, that included a red onion, with the GR2, the M8 and the DP1. Only the Sigma nailed the color exactly. Granted, the other two could probably do it with better color profiles but still I was impressed by that.

Cheers,

Sean

Guy Mancuso

Sean everything I have seen from this camera the color is extremely good. Are you running a review on this one. Love to read it actually like to buy this thing for San Juan as my M8 backup and fun camera

Brian Mosley

Hello Guy, are you aware that Sean has just done a high quality review of the DP1, comparing it to the GR2 and M8?

At base ISO, the DP1 makes a fantastic pocket landscape cam. You'll love it! and above that, a fabulous B&W cam also.

Highly recommended.

Kind Regards

Brian

Guy Mancuso

Been so busy Brian i have not gotten a chance . But busy is good . Maybe after i get San Juan done i can get a chance to actually read it. But Brad is bringing his with him so I can get a chance to see and play with it at the workshop. I really do like the files and just has me thinking when i am only with M8 this would be sweet to have as backup. Plus just for the fun stuff. My wife won't let me near her leica D-Lux 2. LOL

Actually I would not mind getting my daughter something like this for her graduation coming. Keep posting images folks , love looking at them

Riley

i guess i just had a 'wow' moment looking at that train interior image
looking at these internet sizes, there are times when i think how similar foveon is to well processed 5D images

Will

i guess i just had a 'wow' moment looking at that train interior image
looking at these internet sizes, there are times when i think how similar foveon is to well processed 5D images
Interesting that you say that since I tried taking a few comparison shots this morning with a 5D, GRD2 and the DP1. I'd say that the 5D and DP1 were very close, but with the foveon getting the colours slightly closer to real life without much adjusting. The GRD2 colours look really nice of course, but they aren't such an honest portrayal of the real thing. The other similarity between the 5D and DP1 is that you pretty well have to use an ovf on the DP1 since the screen is next to useless in sunlight. Whilst out in the field I have found it really hard to convince myself that the DP1 is taking good images compared to the Ricoh with it's superb screen. It isn't till I get back to the computer that I find out how well the shoot went, it's almost like using film!

Will

Here are images taken with the three cameras. I have done some pp on each of them because I was interested to how how they compare in my normal workflow rather than making sure every variable was accounted for.

GRD2

DP1 Closest to what I could see in real life.

5D Looks really good until you put it next to the DP1 image.

Last edited: