Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colour accuracy

Post Thanks / Like

Colour accuracy

I find the DP1 colour accuracy to be very close to the real thing. These bluebells usually come out slightly wrong with other cameras but the DP1 does quite a good job capturing the subtlety of the blue.

I'm not so happy with the distracting blurred left foreground but that is my fault, not the cameras!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Colour accuracy

Some nice reds this time

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow .....that is Utterly FANTASTIC
    The Train shot blows my Mind
    Well Done Will........Love it
    Detail Extraodinaire
    The more I SEE the more I WANT / All the Best, Helen

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Will,

Impressive stuff, the detail and colours look very good.

An empty tube too? Now that is remarkable!

Post Thanks / Like

Will, I especially like the train photo.

Based on what we've seen so far, the DP1 really shines when there's a lot of light, there are foreground and background elements to highlight the detail, and there are strong colors that favor the Foveon sensor.

Were these shot wide-open at F4, or was there enough light to stop it down a notch or two? I've been using F4, 1/50, and ISO 100 for most shots (previously 1/40).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not so convinced by the bluebells, but that tube shot is fab Will. I'm assuming it was stopped down quite a lot to get that depth of field, and you're right, the colours look fine.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I'm assuming it was stopped down quite a lot to get that depth of field.
    I should have realized that. It makes sense given the confined space on the train.

SLLDPI

The Subway Car

What a brilliant example of making the ordinary extraordinary! A beautiful image.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love the tube shot Will, Well Done!

I've just been pointed to this interesting essay on the characteristics we're seeing with the DP1 regarding sensitivity to colour. Very useful to understand what may be going on...

http://www.bogost.com/blog/technical...d_creati.shtml

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the positive comment people.
    It's great when you are sitting somewhere and see in your minds eye what you think would make a good image and manage to get in into you camera. So often it doesn't work out though.
    Looking back at the file info I was surprised to see that it was taken at F4.5 1/40s ISO200.
    You can see that the first red post is slightly out of focus, but I think the eye gets taken to the detail elsewhere, so it doesn't detract from the feeling of a good dof.

That bogost link was interesting Brian (even after a couple to many glasses of wine with my Thai takaway!)
    Last edited by Will; 25th April 2008 at 12:51.

asabet

I'll add my voice to the others here - these are really great! Especially like the train shot, where the light and color are something special.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am getting very impressed by this camera from the images I have seen. Not sure how it is working out technical because i have not read much on it but the images i see are really good. I do like the train shot as well Will.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy and Amin.
    My only problem with the DP1 at the moment is not having as much time as I would like to be using it to find out what it can really do!

I think we should start a DP1 image thread that we all post on but for now here is another shot from London.

F7.1 1/125s ISO 100

Sean_Reid

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I find the DP1 colour accuracy to be very close to the real thing. These bluebells usually come out slightly wrong with other cameras but the DP1 does quite a good job capturing the subtlety of the blue.

I'm not so happy with the distracting blurred left foreground but that is my fault, not the cameras!

On that specific question of color accuracy. I photographed a still life group, that included a red onion, with the GR2, the M8 and the DP1. Only the Sigma nailed the color exactly. Granted, the other two could probably do it with better color profiles but still I was impressed by that.

Cheers,

Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sean everything I have seen from this camera the color is extremely good. Are you running a review on this one. Love to read it actually like to buy this thing for San Juan as my M8 backup and fun camera
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Guy, are you aware that Sean has just done a high quality review of the DP1, comparing it to the GR2 and M8?

At base ISO, the DP1 makes a fantastic pocket landscape cam. You'll love it! and above that, a fabulous B&W cam also.

Highly recommended.

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Been so busy Brian i have not gotten a chance . But busy is good . Maybe after i get San Juan done i can get a chance to actually read it. But Brad is bringing his with him so I can get a chance to see and play with it at the workshop. I really do like the files and just has me thinking when i am only with M8 this would be sweet to have as backup. Plus just for the fun stuff. My wife won't let me near her leica D-Lux 2. LOL

Actually I would not mind getting my daughter something like this for her graduation coming. Keep posting images folks , love looking at them

Post Thanks / Like

i guess i just had a 'wow' moment looking at that train interior image
    looking at these internet sizes, there are times when i think how similar foveon is to well processed 5D images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    i guess i just had a 'wow' moment looking at that train interior image
    looking at these internet sizes, there are times when i think how similar foveon is to well processed 5D images
    Interesting that you say that since I tried taking a few comparison shots this morning with a 5D, GRD2 and the DP1. I'd say that the 5D and DP1 were very close, but with the foveon getting the colours slightly closer to real life without much adjusting. The GRD2 colours look really nice of course, but they aren't such an honest portrayal of the real thing. The other similarity between the 5D and DP1 is that you pretty well have to use an ovf on the DP1 since the screen is next to useless in sunlight. Whilst out in the field I have found it really hard to convince myself that the DP1 is taking good images compared to the Ricoh with it's superb screen. It isn't till I get back to the computer that I find out how well the shoot went, it's almost like using film!

Post Thanks / Like

Here are images taken with the three cameras. I have done some pp on each of them because I was interested to how how they compare in my normal workflow rather than making sure every variable was accounted for.

GRD2

DP1 Closest to what I could see in real life.

5D Looks really good until you put it next to the DP1 image.

Last edited by Will; 27th April 2008 at 05:03.

Post Thanks / Like

But you can only do this with the wonderful GRD2 macro. Both the others would need another lens or lens adapter.

Post Thanks / Like

you can tell which is which by the DoF in each shot
    and the Canon is obvious because of its washed out colour
    im thinking that for me the foveon looks the best
    but im surprised how good the GRD2 looks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Will, it's almost worth having a GRD2 just for the macro! that is awesome!

As for colour accuracy, I'm confused about the DP1... Sean's review suggests the DP1 is highly accurate at base ISO, but I've seen some truly awful renditions of reds - funky cam extraordinaire! lol

Did you do anything to adjust colour/white balance on your DP1 shot above?

Thanks Will

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

5D Looks really good until you put it next to the DP1 image.
    HI Will
    Interesting comparison - I agree, the DP1 colours do look good here. Greens is one of my big horror / bugbear issues, The M8 does a fairly good job, The Ricoh's are, IMHO always a little too cool; Only Olympus seem to get it right if you use auto white balance.

That 5D shot looks just like I was getting from the D3 - nasty yellow greens. I've actually given up using AWB on the D3 (in normal daylight), as it varies a lot between shot to shot in similar conditions - It seems much easier to make small corrections in post when you're starting from the same place. Of course, using a grey card doesn't help, because, in evening light you want evening light! I just use daylight or cloudy (depending) and fix later if necessary.

That 5D shot looks just like the D3 shots I disliked. Did you use AWB?

Whatever, I'm not even slightly interested in a DP1, but I have been impressed with the greens on your shot . . . and the lovely wonderful splendid subway shot.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post

As for colour accuracy, I'm confused about the DP1... Sean's review suggests the DP1 is highly accurate at base ISO, but I've seen some truly awful renditions of reds - funky cam extraordinaire! lol
    I agree that Cam is funky and extraordinaire . . . but isn't that a bit of a non sequitur ?

Reds are always the hardest - Have you been using AWB with it? Or allowing the camera to make vague and questionable decisions?

I think most of us Olympus people are making the mistake of trusting AWB in other cameras (after all, it's so good in the Oly cameras).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Will, it's almost worth having a GRD2 just for the macro! that is awesome!

Did you do anything to adjust colour/white balance on your DP1 shot above?

Thanks Will

Brian
    Over the years the biggest issue i have seen with many camera's comes down to the reds. It's the hardest i think to reproduce well on any of them. I seen them really bad in a lot of camera's. The only camera's that reproduced red as it should be is the DMR and the M8 , now i have not really shot the ZD camera much to figure it out yet but the secret I think is the reds and if there correct than usually all the colors seem to be okay but this is the little secret in my book if you can get a accurate red than you should be okay if not that everything tends to be off. The thing to watch for and seen in many is orange red. Now you have to watch different raw processors also which can vary slightly between the programs at reproducing a good red.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree that Cam is funky and extraordinaire . . . but isn't that a bit of a non sequitur ?

Reds are always the hardest - Have you been using AWB with it? Or allowing the camera to make vague and questionable decisions?

I think most of us Olympus people are making the mistake of trusting AWB in other cameras (after all, it's so good in the Oly cameras).
    Sorry Jono, perhaps I should have described it as extraordinarily funky

I've been using AWB at time of capture, and then switching to Sunlight in SPP as necessary... perhaps, judging by Sandy on dpreview, I should set the camera to sunlight and then switch whitebalance in SPP?

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here are two that i think the reds came out pretty good. ISO400 in difficult lighting -- overcast and sunny all at the same time. (then again, colour's not my bag )
    Last edited by cam; 28th April 2008 at 05:52. Reason: pct

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the responses.

I used the auto white balance on each camera. The GRD2 is a Hard setting jpg from the camera. The 5D and DP1 I did some levels and sharpening on but otherwise un-touched.

I find the DP1 to be really very good on greens and subtle pinks, but I feel it's reds have a very slight pink rather than orange bias. As I have said already though, overall I think it is very close to real life colours with little adjustment.

Here is the DP1 file again but straight from RAW to jpg with everything set to neutral.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the motorbike one Cam. That green bin is striking. Curiously the red on the two posters comes out differently.
    Last edited by Will; 28th April 2008 at 06:36.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry Jono, perhaps I should have described it as extraordinarily funky
    Well, I don't suppose that CAM minds whether you call her one or the other, although it's possible she might be a little irritated being referred to as 'it'.

I wish someone would call me extraordinarily funky.
    I've been using AWB at time of capture, and then switching to Sunlight in SPP as necessary... perhaps, judging by Sandy on dpreview, I should set the camera to sunlight and then switch whitebalance in SPP?
    Well, this was suggested to me on the Nikon section when I was having terrible trouble with my Greens - that the best bet is to use the camera sunlight or cloudy settings and then work on them from there.

The argument is that you have a level starting place and can easily supply batch corrections, whereas if you use the auto then the camera will apply different tint and temperature to each setting.

I'm convinced!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the motorbike one Cam. That green bin is striking. Curiously the red on the two posters comes out differently.
    neither of these are keepers -- i was practicing MF just to get my distance bearings and timings with my slow hand. but each had reds, at a higher ISO... like i said, the lighting was really odd. i checked again today (similar conditions) and the posters actually do look different when the hazy sun hits it at that hour. in other words, it was quite accurate. as for the greens, they do indeed stand out in these conditions (but i hate those bins!) and the reds can fade (except for day-glo posters)... i used Sunlight, btw. Overcast sucks.

Well, I don't suppose that CAM minds whether you call her one or the other, although it's possible she might be a little irritated being referred to as 'it'.

I wish someone would call me extraordinarily funky.
    you are from now on christened The Funk Man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I just popped into my backgarden with the DP1, the E-420 and the LX1. Here's the result :

Olympus E-420, Auto white balance, centre spot metered on centre flower (crop) :
    1/500s f/5.0 at iso100

Sigma DP1, Sunshine white balance, centre spot metered as above :
    1/125s f/8.0 at iso100

Panasonic LX1, Auto white balance, centre spot metered as above :
    1/160s f/5.6 at iso80

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Panasonic looks to have false colors in the green and the Sigma is a little yellow in the green but the reds are better in the Sigma. Also the pano is overexposed some also and the Sigma is holding the specular highlights better . Sigma is clearly better IMHO

Just more elbow room to work the files in the Sigma since the Dr and tonal range is better

Oops never did see the Oly file my bad

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post

Funko Jono...
    Slßinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to agree the Funk Man sounds good. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More examples from the E-420 and DP1 from this evening... just before sunset.

E-420, 1/250s f/6.3 at 14.0mm (28mm EFL) iso100

DP1, 1/100s f/10.0 at 16.6mm (28mm EFL) iso100

DP1, 1/80s f/10.0 at 16.6mm (28mm EFL) iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

gorgeous, Brian! whilst the E-420 looks more "natural," i do really like the slightly hyper-real look of the DP1. it captures the drama of the moment and the dimensional feel is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

I really like the third one Brian, very dramatic!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks cam, I find myself respecting the more natural look of the Oly... but with the DP1, the extra dynamic range allows more pushing for drama.

edit : thanks Will - as I said, the DP1 is great for this kind of dramatic look.

Kind Regards

Brian

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . . and there's me, trying to protect you.
    I'm very disappointed in you cam . . . very disappointed

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

. . . . and there's me, trying to protect you.
    I'm very disappointed in you cam . . . very disappointed
    but i dubbed you out of love...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi BRIAN
    Just some Visual Thoughts behind your Great Work.....
    I thought in the 'TULIP ' series the Dp1 Shot Looked Fantastic
    however only you would know which was the most dead on in HUE .re: the tulip
    The bamboo Fence certainly did NOT fare well with the olympus but came to Life in definition with the DP1

As for the 'Countryside Scene' Series
    the Oly looked 'Nice' /Beautiful but Ordinary
    whereas the second shot /DP1 was Fantastic /that edge of surreal/hint of Drama
    Thank You for keen Eye & taking the Time to Post these cameras
    TRES FUN !!
    Cheers ! Helen
    Last edited by helenhill; 28th April 2008 at 16:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Helen but it was Brian who posted those particular ones. Mine were the Tube carriage, bluebells and rhododendron flowers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Helen but it was Brian who posted those particular ones. Mine were the Tube carriage, bluebells and rhododendron flowers.
    THANKS WILL
    for the Correction /changed the above name
    Long Day and delirium has set in......
    Best - H
    Last edited by helenhill; 28th April 2008 at 16:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Helen, I think the Oly is generally more accurate with colours but the DP1 has more latitude for pushing around in PP - I find myself going for the drama with the DP1 more, whereas the Oly's are more subtle and naturally beautiful.

The fence was affected by the difference in apertures (sorry, these were snapshots)

Thank you for commenting

Kind Regards

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I popped out again with the Olympus E-420, E-400 and DP1 just now... here's another set - the Olympus cameras just on Auto W/B, the DP1 on Sunlight (as recommended by experienced Sigma users)

Olympus E-400
    1/800s f/4.0 at 12.0mm iso100

Olympus E-420
    1/800s f/4.0 at 14.0mm iso100

Sigma DP1

The Sigma is great... provided you don't shoot it side by side with an Olympus for Colour

Seriously, I have a way to go yet before I'm happy with my colour management for the Sigma DP1.

Kind Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Brian Mosley; 29th April 2008 at 01:20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Sigma is great... provided you don't shoot it side by side with an Olympus for Colour

Seriously, I have a way to go yet before I'm happy with my colour management for the Sigma DP1.
    Brian,

i often shoot in Sunlight and then tame down the yellow cast with CS3's AutoColor (which i then fade to the appropriate level -- by eye) or pull down/up the individual levels in Hue/Saturation and can damned near the "natural" look (not that i'm really ever after that ). it's minor tweaking and i think you'd be happy with it.

speaking of which, when are you going to send the sun my way? i'm off to check out the R-D1S and it's pissing -- again!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

but i dubbed you out of love...
    Oh, all right cam - I'll forgive you . . . but none of that proposing to other people stuff - okay?

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Kind Regards

Brian

Hi Brian
    That's the problem stepping away from Olympus - I'd stopped thinking about colour accuracy since the E1. Nothing else is the same.
    I've stopped using AWB with the D3 when outdoors - it does wierd things which seem very difficult to correct, and it's always too warm anyway. Much easier to shoot in Daylight - at least they're all wrong the same way then!
    At least we have good enough tools to put it right these days.
    I think the DP1 looks fascinating, but I won't touch anything which doesn't work in Aperture. Mind you, can you convert the files to .dng in the Adobe converter?

Just this guy you know