Site Sponsors

Thread: two very different b/w DP1 looks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

two very different b/w DP1 looks

since many are playing with colour, thought i'd add my two cents. (also a chance to play with my new actions that i got on the suggestion of Mr. Evil )

both ISO 800, f/4.0:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: two very different b/w DP1 looks

Quite Fab
    You have taken the DP1 to New Heights and turned my head around .....
    Bit by the LUST bug again (B&H diosen't open till 28 April)
    Love the Lushness & Mood in the darks & lights / the kitchen restaurant shot
    AND
    The Lovers caught on view is Wonderful......that tender moment (tres Francais))

Two points of view: DP1 f4 /iso 800 is SUPERB
    Best, H

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Love that 2nd shot, cam... who is this Mr.Evil?

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I love the second shot and the range of light it reflects!

actually this shot makes resisting the DP1 very hard...
    ( the ordering window is open on the second tab of IE for the DP1)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Quite Fab
    You have taken the DP1 to New Heights and turned my head around .....
    Bit by the LUST bug again (B&H diosen't open till 28 April)
    Love the Lushness & Mood in the darks & lights / the kitchen restaurant shot
    AND
    The Lovers caught on view is Wonderful......that tender moment (tres Francais))

Two points of view: DP1 f4 /iso 800 is SUPERB
    Best, H
    i actually put those up mostly for you, my dear. people have been putting up such exquisite examples from the DP1 that i know you've been wondering why the hell you ordered it. i thought i'd remind you

it definitely takes a lot more work than the GRDII, but i'm afraid i'm becoming addicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Love that 2nd shot, cam... who is this Mr.Evil?
    simonclivehughes in this thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474 which includes the link to a really nice action set. i was really drawn to the second photo, very still life, but the detail captured by the DP1 was distracting. i used two of his actions -- Silk Stocking to convert to b/w and soften the scene and Stormy Weather to add a very large vignette. i think it took less than a minute. how good is that???

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice cam! Buttery rich blacks and a feeling of "behind the scenes" in the kitchen shot. You're adapting to the new camera very well it seems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisiekBunnik View Post
    I love the second shot and the range of light it reflects!

actually this shot makes resisting the DP1 very hard...
    ( the ordering window is open on the second tab of IE for the DP1)...
    just do it!!!

btw, i put the image up in my gallery where you can view it slightly larger. (keep in mind that i softened it -- that's how sharp the lens really is!) the current name sucks. i'm open to suggestions.

cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    Very nice cam! Buttery rich blacks and a feeling of "behind the scenes" in the kitchen shot. You're adapting to the new camera very well it seems.
    thank you, Tim (and everybody else)! just when i think i've had enough of it's finicky ways and that we're not well suited, i see the images and fall in love with it all over again. it's a very tumultuous relationship!

micampe

I must follow the crowd and say that I like #2 too. Great tone and mood.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Cam, both shots are great however I far prefer the mood and lighting and subject of the second, darker one.
    You show a side of the world here that few even bother to look at much less phototgraph.
    And your treatment of the subject is superb.
    The DP-1 sings in your hands, that is one awesome B&W!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    just do it!!!

btw, i put the image up in my gallery where you can view it slightly larger. (keep in mind that i softened it -- that's how sharp the lens really is!) the current name sucks. i'm open to suggestions.

cheers!
    forgot my wallet? (that's for the title of your excellent picture) & an excuse still not to order for me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by micampe View Post
    I must follow the crowd and say that I like #2 too. Great tone and mood.
    i have to agree with you all -- it's the second shot...

i'd worked so hard to get that first shot, however, i just had to put it up (metro lighting and the DP1 are not really on speaking terms)

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Cam, both shots are great however I far prefer the mood and lighting and subject of the second, darker one.
    You show a side of the world here that few even bother to look at much less phototgraph.
    And your treatment of the subject is superb.
    The DP-1 sings in your hands, that is one awesome B&W!
    thank you! i took quite a few shots (DP1 and GRD) that were filled with all the people working the kitchen and those at the counter, but this is the one that drew me. it was the stillness of the moment surrounded by remnants of the bustle. the calm after the storm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I couldn't resist, I took a copy of your posted shot of the commuting lovers into photoshop. A quick downward pull in a curves adjustment layer and voila! Instant smoky. Give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I couldn't resist, I took a copy of your posted shot of the commuting lovers into photoshop. A quick downward pull in a curves adjustment layer and voila! Instant smoky. Give it a try.
    enough? too much??? (i'm always being blasted on the home front here that my images are "too much") i didn't get smokey, but i did get the bite i like feel free to put your version up. i love to learn!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's it! Better I think. Is the original a jpg? If it's a RAW, I'm betting you could tweak even further. But I like what you did and it now holds it's own with the kitchen shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's it! Better I think. Is the original a jpg? If it's a RAW, I'm betting you could tweak even further. But I like what you did and it now holds it's own with the kitchen shot.
    it is RAW, but i just tweaked the little JPEG. i'll go back and play with the original file -- well, the TIFF anyways. i'm much more proficient in photoshop than i am in SPP for this type of thing. thank you very much for your comments. i do want to make my images the best that they can be

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wonderful shots, Cam! Love #2, you have elevated the mundane and made it art. Agree that the "tweaked" metro shot looks much better, not 'too much' at all for my taste. Great moment and good eye.

DP1 really shines for B&W!

Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thank you, Joan!

so i received a PM about the actions i mentioned, from someone who prefers a softer look. so just for s&g, i played with the metro shot using the actions to make it smokey and dreamy. (not quite there as i truly should go back and play with the RAW as the lighting was so flat.) like i said, i'm just messing around here. not sure if i went too far or not far enough or if i really prefer it sharp!

(i'm almost tempted to put up a FUBR shot that was my favourite from this series. you want blur, i'll give you blur )

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm. I kind of liked the idea that the couple weren't afraid to be affectionate under the harsh subway lights. The softness also obscures the reflection in the door. I think I prefer the shot without the blur. Or maybe mask it and un-blur around the faces and hands. (really like the hands in this shot!).

But either way, thanks for posting a picture and allowing us to play back seat driver.

Post Thanks / Like

Cam, I tend to like the sharper images from the DP1, but in this case, I think the smoky and dreamy version is the better one. You're inspiring me to go for blacker blacks with my DP1. You're really onto something here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oooh ... wow, I like this version, too! It works both ways for me. It's all a matter of what mood you're going for, but how wonderful that you can do both!

I need to learn this stuff. Long road ahead of me, but I'm going to keep trying!

wbrandsma

Wow Cam, the photograph of the lovers is absolutely stunning for me. The soft look is a bit too soft for me. A possible title proposal: "DP1 their love"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm. I kind of liked the idea that the couple weren't afraid to be affectionate under the harsh subway lights. The softness also obscures the reflection in the door. I think I prefer the shot without the blur. Or maybe mask it and un-blur around the faces and hands. (really like the hands in this shot!).

But either way, thanks for posting a picture and allowing us to play back seat driver.
    it's fun to play around! especially when an image is *almost* there, but not quite.... the feedback is great as well!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    Cam, I tend to like the sharper images from the DP1, but in this case, I think the smoky and dreamy version is the better one. You're inspiring me to go for blacker blacks with my DP1. You're really onto something here.
    total opposite opinion, LOL! i love this forum

and, oh yeah! i these blacks are silky! and you can still have so much detail in the shadows if you use a little more restraint than i did

as a total 360, all the voyeurs seem to be complaining about the colour on the DP1. a few points.

there is only SPP to play with RAW files for now so if you mess up your WB, it's a wee bit tetchy. but i truly think this camera is pretty damned spot on when you take an outdoors picture. i think a lot of people might bump it up because the colours are just so damned gorgeous from this sensor (yes, i'm a fan!). whereas you can get a very natural look (okay, maybe not as good as the Oly's, etc.), everybody's sensibility is different.

indoor colours a different story altogether. in one word -- blech! the DP1 is very old-fashioned, it needs sun for it's lighting, really hates the artificial stuff. you can get it, but it's a lot of work if you want anything "natural."

here is a very dull pic. i was practicing my manual focusing (the bike) it had just stopped raining and the day was very overcast. with that in mind, all i did here was to desaturate the green a bit to look like what i saw. the green was that vibrant, and the other colours really quite good, including that horrid white cast in the sky. the vividness is what you get in this light in person -- the DP1 captured it quite nicely, IMO.

i will try to get a more interesting shot for you tomorrow, but truly, the colours aren't bad! still, i do love my black and whites

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

as a total 360, all the voyeurs seem to be complaining about the colour on the DP1. a few points.

there is only SPP to play with RAW files for now so if you mess up your WB, it's a wee bit tetchy. but i truly think this camera is pretty damned spot on when you take an outdoors picture. i think a lot of people might bump it up because the colours are just so damned gorgeous from this sensor (yes, i'm a fan!). whereas you can get a very natural look (okay, maybe not as good as the Oly's, etc.), everybody's sensibility is different.

indoor colours a different story altogether. in one word -- blech! the DP1 is very old-fashioned, it needs sun for it's lighting, really hates the artificial stuff. you can get it, but it's a lot of work if you want anything "natural."

here is a very dull pic. i was practicing my manual focusing (the bike) it had just stopped raining and the day was very overcast. with that in mind, all i did here was to desaturate the green a bit to look like what i saw. the green was that vibrant, and the other colours really quite good, including that horrid white cast in the sky. the vividness is what you get in this light in person -- the DP1 captured it quite nicely, IMO.

i will try to get a more interesting shot for you tomorrow, but truly, the colours aren't bad! still, i do love my black and whites
    Agree that the colors here look "right," Cam. I'm one of the voyeurs who has had a lot of reservations about the DP1 colors . I've seen a lot of sickly greens, cyan skies, magenta overtones, etc. floating around on the various forums. Obviously it can do just fine - you have managed nicely, as have Brian and others. Do you use auto WB, or change for each lighting condition?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wbrandsma View Post
    Wow Cam, the photograph of the lovers is absolutely stunning for me. The soft look is a bit too soft for me. A possible title proposal: "DP1 their love"
    LOL! you're worse than my boyfriend with the puns (groan). no, it's the still life i'm still pondering a title for. pleased you like my couple! i need to start over again with all the input... i'm a little burnt out for more today.

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Agree that the colors here look "right," Cam. I'm one of the voyeurs who has had a lot of reservations about the DP1 colors . I've seen a lot of sickly greens, cyan skies, magenta overtones, etc. floating around on the various forums. Obviously it can do just fine - you have managed nicely, as have Brian and others. Do you use auto WB, or change for each lighting condition?
    i really haven't had many of those problems. remember, i do shoot RAW so i get to see them before i do my b/w thang. i heard Auto had that green corner problem so i stopped using it. i think i set it to Sunlight (not that i've seen much of it) and then change it when i convert the RAW. sunlight tends to give everyone hepatitis when you're not shooting in the sun, but it seems to give me a proper balance to change later. if changing the WB on the DP! was easier, i'd probably change it as the situation occurs. as i shoot RAW, WB is the least of my problems!

i understand what those like you are complaining about, but i really think it's the way people PP or their lack of PPing skills or improper monitor calibrations that's causing this to occur. the DP1 colours are actually tempting me to *use* them, and i'm pretty much a straight b/w type of gal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam
    Out of the THREE 'LOVER ' series
    The second one does IT for me best,H

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam of the three versions of the metro shot I like the second one the best. I like the B&W tones and it is a bit more crisp than the silk stocking version.

terry

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

enough? too much??? (i'm always being blasted on the home front here that my images are "too much") i didn't get smokey, but i did get the bite i like feel free to put your version up. i love to learn!
    I like this version best

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cam,
    Lovely shot of the lovers in the Metro.
    I think I prefer the second version.
    Somehow this camera (or the artist, I don't know which) does B&W very nicely.
    I do miss grain, but that is only a holdover from my Tri-X days.
    -bob

SimonLarbalestier

Cam #2 (the restaurant) is very rich - i like the deep blacks in this shot.