The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

two very different b/w DP1 looks

cam

since many are playing with colour, thought i'd add my two cents. (also a chance to play with my new actions that i got on the suggestion of Mr. Evil :D )

both ISO 800, f/4.0:

helenhill

Quite Fab
You have taken the DP1 to New Heights and turned my head around .....
Bit by the LUST bug again (B&H diosen't open till 28 April:angry:)
Love the Lushness & Mood in the darks & lights / the kitchen restaurant shot
AND
The Lovers caught on view is Wonderful......that tender moment (tres Francais))

Two points of view: DP1 f4 /iso 800 is SUPERB
Best, H

MisiekBunnik

I love the second shot and the range of light it reflects!

actually this shot makes resisting the DP1 very hard...
( the ordering window is open on the second tab of IE for the DP1)...

cam

Quite Fab
You have taken the DP1 to New Heights and turned my head around .....
Bit by the LUST bug again (B&H diosen't open till 28 April:angry:)
Love the Lushness & Mood in the darks & lights / the kitchen restaurant shot
AND
The Lovers caught on view is Wonderful......that tender moment (tres Francais))

Two points of view: DP1 f4 /iso 800 is SUPERB
Best, H
:ROTFL: i actually put those up mostly for you, my dear. people have been putting up such exquisite examples from the DP1 that i know you've been wondering why the hell you ordered it. i thought i'd remind you :p

it definitely takes a lot more work than the GRDII, but i'm afraid i'm becoming addicted.

Love that 2nd shot, cam... who is this Mr.Evil? :D
simonclivehughes in this thread: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1474 which includes the link to a really nice action set. i was really drawn to the second photo, very still life, but the detail captured by the DP1 was distracting. i used two of his actions -- Silk Stocking to convert to b/w and soften the scene and Stormy Weather to add a very large vignette. i think it took less than a minute. how good is that???

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Very nice cam! Buttery rich blacks and a feeling of "behind the scenes" in the kitchen shot. You're adapting to the new camera very well it seems.

cam

I love the second shot and the range of light it reflects!

actually this shot makes resisting the DP1 very hard...
( the ordering window is open on the second tab of IE for the DP1)...
just do it!!!

:ROTFL:

btw, i put the image up in my gallery where you can view it slightly larger. (keep in mind that i softened it -- that's how sharp the lens really is!) the current name sucks. i'm open to suggestions.

cheers!

cam

Very nice cam! Buttery rich blacks and a feeling of "behind the scenes" in the kitchen shot. You're adapting to the new camera very well it seems.
thank you, Tim (and everybody else)! just when i think i've had enough of it's finicky ways and that we're not well suited, i see the images and fall in love with it all over again. it's a very tumultuous relationship!

M

micampe

I must follow the crowd and say that I like #2 too. Great tone and mood.

Lili

Cam, both shots are great however I far prefer the mood and lighting and subject of the second, darker one.
You show a side of the world here that few even bother to look at much less phototgraph.
And your treatment of the subject is superb.
The DP-1 sings in your hands, that is one awesome B&W!

MisiekBunnik

just do it!!!

:ROTFL:

btw, i put the image up in my gallery where you can view it slightly larger. (keep in mind that i softened it -- that's how sharp the lens really is!) the current name sucks. i'm open to suggestions.

cheers!
forgot my wallet? (that's for the title of your excellent picture) & an excuse still not to order for me :)

cam

I must follow the crowd and say that I like #2 too. Great tone and mood.
i have to agree with you all -- it's the second shot...

i'd worked so hard to get that first shot, however, i just had to put it up :eek: (metro lighting and the DP1 are not really on speaking terms)

Cam, both shots are great however I far prefer the mood and lighting and subject of the second, darker one.
You show a side of the world here that few even bother to look at much less phototgraph.
And your treatment of the subject is superb.
The DP-1 sings in your hands, that is one awesome B&W!
thank you! i took quite a few shots (DP1 and GRD) that were filled with all the people working the kitchen and those at the counter, but this is the one that drew me. it was the stillness of the moment surrounded by remnants of the bustle. the calm after the storm.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I couldn't resist, I took a copy of your posted shot of the commuting lovers into photoshop. A quick downward pull in a curves adjustment layer and voila! Instant smoky. Give it a try.

cam

I couldn't resist, I took a copy of your posted shot of the commuting lovers into photoshop. A quick downward pull in a curves adjustment layer and voila! Instant smoky. Give it a try.
enough? too much??? (i'm always being blasted on the home front here that my images are "too much") i didn't get smokey, but i did get the bite i like :D feel free to put your version up. i love to learn!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
That's it! Better I think. Is the original a jpg? If it's a RAW, I'm betting you could tweak even further. But I like what you did and it now holds it's own with the kitchen shot.

cam

That's it! Better I think. Is the original a jpg? If it's a RAW, I'm betting you could tweak even further. But I like what you did and it now holds it's own with the kitchen shot.
it is RAW, but i just tweaked the little JPEG. i'll go back and play with the original file -- well, the TIFF anyways. i'm much more proficient in photoshop than i am in SPP for this type of thing. thank you very much for your comments. i do want to make my images the best that they can be ;)

Joan

Wonderful shots, Cam! Love #2, you have elevated the mundane and made it art. Agree that the "tweaked" metro shot looks much better, not 'too much' at all for my taste. Great moment and good eye.

DP1 really shines for B&W!

Regards,
Joan

cam

thank you, Joan!

so i received a PM about the actions i mentioned, from someone who prefers a softer look. so just for s&g, i played with the metro shot using the actions to make it smokey and dreamy. (not quite there as i truly should go back and play with the RAW as the lighting was so flat.) like i said, i'm just messing around here. not sure if i went too far or not far enough or if i really prefer it sharp!

(i'm almost tempted to put up a FUBR shot that was my favourite from this series. you want blur, i'll give you blur :D )

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Hmmm. I kind of liked the idea that the couple weren't afraid to be affectionate under the harsh subway lights. The softness also obscures the reflection in the door. I think I prefer the shot without the blur. Or maybe mask it and un-blur around the faces and hands. (really like the hands in this shot!).

But either way, thanks for posting a picture and allowing us to play back seat driver.

DavidE

Cam, I tend to like the sharper images from the DP1, but in this case, I think the smoky and dreamy version is the better one. You're inspiring me to go for blacker blacks with my DP1. You're really onto something here.