The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

experimental pictures

cam

i thought i'd start a thread for experiments rather than mistakes. by experiments, i mean something you do intentionally rather than the shot being a happy mistake. if somebody's work has inspired you, feel free to mention it so that others might be inspired by them as well.

after looking Harry Gruyaert's recent exhibition, i decided to play around with colour and grain. i also have always had a fascination with shooting through glass and reflections, which was rekindled after i heard Saul Leiter speak.

this happens to have been taken on my GRDII, but feel free to include pictures from any camera. everybody is welcome to join in.

here is both the full frame shot and a landscape crop to show the grain:

DavidE

Good idea for a thread, Cam.

Here's an experimental shot that plays with reflections and glass. That's me with my nose stuck to the camera, so it has a self-reflexive element, as well.

Shot with an Epson L-500V at the Museum of Modern Art in NYC.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Great idea cam!

This is a combination of two shots taken from a moving car and twisted really hard in PS. I'm not sure if it's even a "photograph" anymore!

helenhill

Tres Coool /Tim
Abstract Expressionism at its Best

FabShot / Cam
I too LOVE the aspect of 'Reflection' (as well as Raindrops & the lure of Mist)
be it seen through Winows, Cars etc

Lovely /DavidE

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

This is cool. Excellent Cam! Your picture is like a double exposure.

Diagonal waves

DavidE

This is what happens when you visit Vegas, and you have your GRD2 with you wherever you go. Didn't quite work out as I had hoped, but it was worth the try.

helenhill

DavidE
Love it....Great Idea
A Textile Designer's Dream
you should do a series in that vein.....possibilities are Endless

The Creativity at GETDPI is on a Roll !
Best, H

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Very Dark outside, raining at lake Ashinoko.
Portrait of Mt. Fuji at night in the rain
IR plus blended color and lab mode channel tweaks

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Will & TR,
Just fooling around with LAB color while waiting for the weather to lift.
Not at all the shot that I had planned though.
-bob

Terry

Great thread. I took a class a while back called "roll a day" and as the name implies we had to shoot at least the equivalent of a roll a day for many weeks. Doing that you get to experiment and play around with a lot of different ideas. I can't post pictures from my iPhone but will add a shot or two from that period to the thread.

Joan

Wow, great experiments, ALL! I'm inspired. Can't wait to go to NY this weekend and try for some reflections. Terry suggested I pick a theme for my shooting each day (I was complaining about my less than stellar abilities with a camera). Now I have my first one!

Another great thread, Cam! :) You are making me think, I need that!

Will

Picture I took to make a 40th birthday card. Idea being life rushing by. I 'zoomed' the focal length as I took the shot. Not a small sensor image but it is experimental.

This one is me being a ghost making my daughter an angel. Very slow shutter speed on a tripod, daughter standing very still, me moving.

cam

wonderful, everybody! and totally inspiring!

and i as i said, the photos need not be limited to a small sensor camera. this one is for all.

(tapping my foot, waiting for our esteemed leaders, Jack and Guy, to show us their stuff as well :grin: )

jonoslack

HI There
Great idea - so many fine shots.

I'm not sure that this one really qualifies, but here goes.

Surely just an ordinary sunrise?

It's actually the underside of a shell on a window ledge, with the sunlight shining through from above

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
wonderful, everybody! and totally inspiring!

and i as i said, the photos need not be limited to a small sensor camera. this one is for all.

(tapping my foot, waiting for our esteemed leaders, Jack and Guy, to show us their stuff as well :grin: )
We don't have small sensor camera's. We are just going to have to cheat a little:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: