The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-420 + 25mm f2.8 Pancake Lens...

A

asabet

Beautiful shot Brian, and a nice demonstration of the lens bokeh as well.

clay stewart

Nice one Brian. So what do you think of the combo?It seems to make nice images, in capable hands. How does it feel in your hand? Is it more comfortable than the 410?

Brian Mosley

Thanks Amin, I think I'd prefer the 25mm pancake over the twin kit lenses - in terms of optical quality and day to day useability.

Thanks Clay, the E-420 is very similar to the previous E-400 which I like a lot... the modified grip allows a slightly more secure hold. Carrying it with the pancake fitted is very lightweight and compact.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

I'm just doing some more work on the Parrot Sanctuary Event from last month... and picked up another shot here with the E-420 + 25mm pancake lens at ISO 200, f2.8 1/800s

The colours here (on Auto white balance) are very pleasingly accurate to my memory, and the sharp detail wide open is excellent.

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Another shot with this fantastic combination... from my walk early this afternoon.

E-420 + 25mm f2.8 pancake lens
1/80s f/5.6 at 25.0mm iso100

This was of cast iron, about 10 feet tall... amazing.

Kind Regards

Brian

helenhill

its Funny ..... talking strictly Color here
This shot reminds me of the DP1 /color boost I guess
and your new post
on the DP1 thread looks subdued like the e420
:):D H

Brian Mosley

I guess all this practice in PP, trying to get the DP1 under control has given me new insights / preferences, which I'm applying to the Olympus cams also:D

I'm inclined to sharpen my Olympus shots more these days, and as you can see there's plenty of colour detail to play with!

Kind Regards

Brian

Brian Mosley

Here's another from the same outing..

and with the more saturated grass, as above..

Kind Regards

Brian

Last edited:

helenhill

Tres Coool Brian
Getting Seduced by the Oly World
great sense of variation
from the morning shot: DP1 like OLY to the more Subtle Oly landscape
Ta..... H

Brian Mosley

Thanks Helen, here's another from last night and a couple from this morning... I used the live view display for the low down shots - quite useful :)

E-420 + 25mm f2.8 pancake lens
1/250s f/5.6 at iso100

1/320s f/2.8 at iso100

1/500s f/2.8 at iso100

Kind Regards

Brian

Joan

Brian, you're killing me here, I NEED the pancake but it's still not available here, grrr.

Nice shots, especially fond of the street scene with all those beautiful trees in bloom. YUM! Colors are all lovely, with or without the boosted saturation.

Best,
Joan

Brian Mosley

Thanks Joan, the main advantages of the pancake are size & speed... 50mm FOV is challenging me to find unusual angles/framing to regain the wow factor.

I'm feeling the same way about 14-35mm f2... waiting & saving for that one!

Kind Regards

Brian

A

asabet

Brian, you're killing me here, I NEED the pancake but it's still not available here, grrr.
Me too! I appreciate the samples in the meanwhile, so I can set my expectations. The other Zuiko pancake is my most used lens these days, so my hopes for the ZD 25 are pretty high.