The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Spring Rose Closeup with DP1 + AML1

bbodine9

I just received the AML1 yesterday and the roses just started to open at our home. I am delighted with the results, the DP1 has even greater capability and value with this small addition. Comments are welcome!

D

D upton-Hackett.

very very nice.
I have difficulty to get good macro shots with my DP2 and looks if the DP1's 28mm does it better. or maybe it's my old eyes.

Don Ellis

Lovely shots... I have the B+W +5 and the Hoya +10 macro lenses for my DP2, but I haven't used them much... your shots are a reminder to break them out.

pollobarca

Bbodine, the detail on the first rose shot is great, colours and the light too. Macros are not so easy to get right, especially on composition .I like the way you have composed that first shot, there were some difficult choices to be made there.

I took out my Olympus C5050z yesterday, along with the very versatile Manfrotto 785B
and used it to capture this tiny flower (about the size of a childs watch face) which I have since been told is Kalanchoe.I think theres a lot wrong with this picture but for me it works. The light was blocked by the big fat leaves of the plant.
Oly c5050z, raw converted with SilkyPix FREE version then GIMP, Pic flipped vertically

Page here http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/4652339541/

Same plant, different flowers , same gear

All the best

paul

D

D upton-Hackett.

This is not a rose, but what is it? anyone :confused:

Last edited:
D

D upton-Hackett.

Ta Gandolfi.

Very strange it certainly doesn't smell like an onion.

pollobarca

Roses - My daughter brought home two bunches of roses from a perfume "launch".
I found them in the morning before going to work:
GX100 hand held quickie in the morning!( doesnt sound so good...)

b rgds

paul

raywest

I've been meaning to ask, but how do you focus with the dp1 or 2? By that, I mean the display is of no use in bright sunlight, I can hardly see anything (other than part of me :cry:). If I switch to manual focus, I could pre-set in the shade, but the marked distances are for the normal lens, without any macro attachments and I can not estimate distances to the fraction of the inch necessary for macro work. The advantage of the camera is its small size. Adding screen shades or extra viewers defeats a major part of the advantage of using this camera. For me, this is a major design flaw, an evf would be far more useful, even if not high resolution.

I purchased a dp1s a few months ago (at quite a reasonable price for the UK) based on the results I saw you guys were getting (and elsewhere - I'm not apportioning blame in any way ;)). The Sigma additional accessories are, in comparison, overpriced. However, I more recently purchased the HA11 hood adapter - £20.00 pounds for a couple of bits of plastic - and I am happy with the cheap macro filters - it's just a problem trying to focus and compose the images outside, in the sun. I seem to be getting a success rate of about 20%, and i can only see which ones are OK inside, on the pc.

Best wishes,

Ray

bbodine9

Ray I used autofocus on the rose photos and it worked quite well with the centerpoint selected. I have also used 5.6 aperture and shot the grandkids at six flags with fair success just firing away. It is a challenging camera but the results are really worth while in my opinion.

raywest

Thanks for your reply. I had thought you were maybe using a shade of some sort.

In some ways this camera takes me back to my childhood and home b&w processing - taking the film out of the tank - did they 'come out'. As others mentioned, my reason for buying, there is 'something' about the images. I'm thinking of making an '8 by 10' wooden box, put the camera inside, pretend it's an old film camera, then I could use a black cloth :thumbup:.

The following images are possibly the best of 20. The green apple one, I would have liked to have got the dead flower in focus. There was no processing, other than in pp4 to convert raw image, and saved as jpg (then loading the jpg into Irfan view, and saving as a smaller jpg for uploading). The first two images were virtually shooting blind, in bright sun, but the last one was taken indoors, where I could more easily see the screen, so I could at least check what was in focus, and compose the shot...

The sensor does render detail nicely, and not necessarily seen here, I think the colour graduations are superb. Sometimes I get chromatic aberrations from the cheap macro lens, but it is easily removed in pp.

The older I get, the more there is to learn:lecture:

Best wishes,

Ray