The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with long exposures -- Post yours here

Tim

Here's a 5 second handheld of a ferris wheel.
I like the wobbles in the lights.
Very easy to do with a PASM compact so long as you are not in "iMode"
LX3

Got any long exposures? -- Post yours here! :)

Will

That is a very beautiful image Tim!

Good idea for a thread as well.

GRD2 ISO400 0.111sec

Apologies for it being a Canon 5D but it is long exposure!

Tim

Thanks for the kinds words Will, your ghost image is sublime - took me a while to work out how it was done, your candle image was probably unexpected?

Here's something similar to the first but a bit more intense.
I called this - Wheel of fire - different ride to the first I think -
LX3, 5 second exposure

D

D upton-Hackett.

Quote Tim "Thanks for the kinds words Will, your ghost image is sublime - took me a while to work out how it was done," unquote.

I still am trying to.

Will

I put the camera on a tripod, used aperture priority and stopped it down to f22 ISO100, told my daughter to stand completely still, pressed the shutter, walked over and made the halo with an LED torch.
I took a few attempts to get it right.

Tim

a bit of a Lissajous curve happening here, do you think?

LX3 - Handheld 6 sec exposure.

Tim

Brad,

that image is awesome, :thumbup: love the inclusion of the tree line. Thanks for braving the cold for us to get this image.

Can I ask where this was taken? Canada or Alaska perhaps?

Tim

busch63

Long exposures are one of my favorites. Therefore I make often special shots like this: Autobahn A2 near Bielefeld; hillclimbing cars & trucks often have break down.....
Ricoh GX200, ISO64, f5,2, 30s

pollobarca

Nice one Busch63.This is just the shot that a camera like the Ricoh is good for.
You see the picture and you have a camera with you , ready. Far less likely with a DSLR.
Do you have a mini tripod too?

b rgds

paul

busch63

Nice one Busch63.This is just the shot that a camera like the Ricoh is good for.You see the picture and you have a camera with you , ready. Far less likely with a DSLR. Do you have a mini tripod too?
Thanks Paul. Your are right. The shots ooc are almost ready to keep.
Yes I have tripods.
I start with the smallest Mini Tripod I now, just a fixed 3-leg-2"-long thing. Now I use Gorilla Pod and an 40 year-old but still unbeaten telescopic Mini Tripod which I can set between 4" and 15" height. Not good for heavier Cameras but best for leight one like GX200 or DP1s.

And another example for long exposure: Sigma DP1s, ISO100, f4, 6s

Tim

Paul and busch those are excellent car trails. Paul I like your creative thinking with miniaturise.

While this image is on the short end of long exposures at 1/5 sec (I hope its acceptable :eek:), this image was however done without a tripod. Camera in hand was rested and I used the 2 sec self timer so that I was steady when the shutter fired.

This is an out of camera jpg with a border added using Sagelight editor.

Ricoh GRD III 1/5 sec at f1.9

pollobarca

Thanks Tim ,Busch63, Derek.
Good steady hand Tim. Very powerful cityscape Busch63.The Sigma is a camera I would like to have.
My first slow exposure shot with the gx100 I took balancing the camera on a bike saddle in sub zero Innsbruck. I've posted that photo elsewhere here on the forum but here it is again :-

another the same evening in Innsbruck

more from that set here, balancing on the skating rink rail:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/sets/72157603694967091/

b rgds

paul

busch63

I made this shot about 18 month ago but it is still one of my personal all-time-fav: Herman the German in Teutonia Forest, near Detmold. Shortly before spooky Midnight (Ricoh GX200, ISO64, f2,9, 8s)