The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 in Pergamon

otumay

Who said DP1 can't shoot history? Yes, we all know it can. I played the ignorant toting a funny small point-and shoot camera, eyed unenthusiastically by DSLR-carrying ladies and gentleman in Bergama (Pergamon), near İzmir (Smyrna).
Best,
Osman

Tim

Osman

#2 Particularly stands out for me - I like the ancient stone hallway look - I'd probably do a slight rotate to the left just a tad, but I feel #3 seems to have that DP2 or foveon looking pop to it - was I right about it being DP2? :toocool:

otumay

You're definitely right on the flawed horizon on the second shot, Tim.
All shots by DP1, with a little help from Color EfexPro. I'm still considering a DP2 purchase, by the way.
Thanks for the input.

Will

Excellent series Osman, I particularly like the third image with the beautiful light and almost 3D DP1 effect.

otumay

Thank you, Will. When your subject has that classical beauty and you have the right light, it is not easy to go wrong;)

MisiekBunnik

Great! The "negative fill light?" of 1, is amazing, but the natural light of number 2 and 3 is amazing and make the subject really shine.

I really can recommend the dp2, i do own both and the dp2 gets more of the action, although i do like the quick set button option on the dp1 better than the QS button on the dp2. also the dp2 files look a bit more digital in my opinion... But they make a perfect couple.

D

D upton-Hackett.

these are absolutely spot-on the light on #2 #3 and 4 lovely tone.

otumay

Ronald, Wayne and Derek, thank you very much.
Ronald, you are convincing me towards buying a DP2...

bbodine9

Really great series Osman and those columns are great for the amount of detail the DP1 picked up. These little cameras take great photos if you are not in a hurry.

pollobarca

Osman,
lovely set. I wouldnt worry about the horizon nr 3. There are so many lines in there.
Brick wall, stone wall, the stones on the columns, the lines in the grass , the hills.All are
different. Theres a lot going on !.
Really like nr3 and 2.
Who needs a DSLR! Unless you have a bag of lens's , a patient wife/companion and time,
you cant better a good fixed lens camera. The only thing that can really help most times is a tripod.

all the ebst

paul

D

D upton-Hackett.

[QUOTE
Ronald, you are convincing me towards buying a DP2...[/QUOTE]

Go-on you know you want too.:D:D

Don Ellis

I guess if a post gets enough comments I'll finally see it... and I'm glad I did. I'm partial to 2 and 3, as many others are... but they're all lovely.

Thanks for posting these.
Don

smokysun

hi osman, can't believe it. tried the sd9 and didn't like the way it handled. ordered the sd14 over the weekend and cancelled it this morning. yes, thinking of trying the dp2 again. i really could have used it last week. the tighter lens would have cut down on too many dynamic blowouts between the tree shade and the sunlight (had to crop a lot, which i will do if necessary but i really am lazy and like to get it right in the camera). i do wonder what the sd15 will be like. supposed to be out this month.

www.pbase.com/wwp/fest

i do have a question for those with both dp cameras. the dp2 i tried was new and the focus mechanism really a loud grind. did i test a lemon?

thanks.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. i've looked at a lot of sd photos on the web and compared them at the same time the dp's. they just don't have the snap and clarity of the latter, even with alternative lenses like leica.

otumay

Thank you, Don, and thanks to the many commentators who made your visit possible;)
You are one of the few people who continue to inspire me, especially with the DP series.
Wayne, I do have an SD14 and regret to say that it is a poorly designed camera, with mediocre results. I wonder what the SD15 will be like...