The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Monday Morning Spooks

Don Ellis

A day without Spooks is like a day without sunshine... with apologies to Anita Bryant.

DP2 this morning with Spooks on granny's quilt.

hilld

Always a pleasure to see Spooks, in what I take -- I speak as someone owned by three cats -- to be a characteristic pose. Here is one of our cats, Princess (don't blame us, we just decided to stick with the name the breeder gave her -though she, Princess, thinks it entirely appropriate). It's not really a portrait, but rather my using the DP2 to capture the nice light.

This is Princess's immediate post-breakfast nap. And, being a stickler for this sort of thing, she is most concerned that this not be mistaken for her mid-morning nap, much less her late-morning nap.

Last edited:

Don Ellis

Always a pleasure to see Spooks, in what I take -- I speak as someone owned by three cats -- to be a characteristic pose. Here is one of our cats, Princess (don't blame us, we just decided to stick with the name the breeder gave her -though she, Princess, thinks it entirely appropriate). It's not really a portrait, but rather my using the DP2 to capture the nice light.

This is Princess's immediate post-breakfast nap. And, being a stickler for this sort of thing, she is most concerned that this not be mistaken for her mid-morning nap, much less her late-morning nap.
Oh, very sweet... yes, it's the light that gets the camera out of my bag as much as the animal. Yours is a lovely photo (and cat, of course, in case she's listening).

Thanks for posting the Princess.
Cheers,
Don

P.S. Before you print it 16x20 and frame it, you are going to clone out that bit of kibble to the left of her bed, yes? :)

hilld

Don, many thanks for your kind reply. I hadn't spotted the kibble ( yes, that's exactly what it is) and cloning it away will the first thing I do with my newly- acquired Photoshop Elements 8.

(No need to worry about Princess overhearing anything, she's ... er ...sleeping.)

regards

D

D upton-Hackett.

Both cracking images, nothing ever bothers cats my last-one was so lade back she often fell over.

hilld let me no how you like elements 8. may upgrade from 6.

Thank you.

hilld

Both cracking images, nothing ever bothers cats my last-one was so lade back she often fell over.

hilld let me no how you like elements 8. may upgrade from 6.

Thank you.
Hi Seaton,

I like it very much: it seems a vast improvement on the enormously clunky Elements 4 that I was using ( more accurately, avoiding using) these last few years. Even after a few days use I feel I can recommend version 8.

That said, I have to confess that acquiring this upgrade wasn't entirely necessary*, since I already have Silkypix 4 and a couple of other apps that allow you to muck about with your shots.

* Rendered in the latin, I fear this phrase -- vix "this upgrade wasn't entirely necessary" -- would be an appropriate motto for those of us smitten with the photography and ( yes, let's be honest) gear bug.

Regards.

Tim

Don,

Your image of Spooks has that DP2 pop about it. The quilt cover certainly shows the DP2 signature.

Here is my old friend Mocha. He passed many years ago. He was quite a unique cat, very trusting. I can recall that when I washed my car on hot sunny days he would wander up and take a drink, lapping up some water if I held the running hose low enough, but I had to hold it very still - quite rare for a cat to trust someone holding a running hose!

The image is a film scan from my OM4 and probably the Zuiko 40mm f2.0 from around 1990.
No real PP at all here - I may get to it one day!

Last edited:

Don Ellis

Hi Tim... thanks for your nice comments... and even more for your photo of Mocha. Lovely cat and a very nice picture... even the back ground works well. I'm sorry you've lost him but I'm glad you have something to remember him.

Cats are really some kind of special creatures -- I don't really trust people who don't like cats. :)

Cheers,
Don

My grandmother made the quilt and I have four of them -- I must say that this is the least attractive of the lot, which is why we occasionally put in on the bed. The others tend to stay in the cupboard.