The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Belly Up

Don Ellis

Trust me... there is no need for you to comment on every photo of this creature. They're just for fun and I have nowhere else to stick them. I'll certainly let you know if I ever have anything in the "fine art" category that is cat-related. :)

DP2.

les

Well, if not the cat, what can we say about the bedcover?.................
Coming from a two cat household I'm in awe of the lack of 'thread pulls' on this bedcover. What's the secret, is he professionally manicured twice a week, or is he just too aristocratic for such hooligan behaviour?

Don Ellis

Hi Les... I certainly didn't mean you couldn't talk about the boy... I just wanted to reassure those who had fallen asleep on the couch as I leaf through the kitty album that snoring is acceptable.

Spooks has never been manicured -- he's an indoor/outdoor cat and I wouldn't want to dull his weapons in a village full of dogs. In fact he's only been to the vet's once, when he got into a fight and received a pretty deep claw hook in his leg. The vet cleaned it (Ouch!), disinfected it, put a Kitty Cone around his neck, and gave us pills to shove down his throat and salve to rub in the wound.

We followed that regime for about four hours -- one pill, a little salve, and a lot of time watching Spooks trying to back out of his collar. So we sat him down, told him if he didn't lick his wound or get infected, we would take it off. He seemed agreeable so we dismantled it and left him alone... and all was well.

There are three major things he doesn't do without our having trained him or even told him: 1) he doesn't claw anything indoors, 2) He doesn't eat any human food, even if it's tasty and on a plate on the counter, and 3) he doesn't use our garden as a latrine.

No wonder we're friends. :D

Cheers,
Don

pollobarca

Sounds Like a sensible Cat Don, Does he go out on the tiles for a few days? My aunt had a cat that went away for about 18 months one time. Came back a sorry mess , but no doubt a happy one.
BTW Lovely detail and colours in this picture.
paul

Don Ellis

Hi Paul... no extended holidays for Spooks. He roams the village but always returns home. He spends his days sleeping on a cat-sized quilt on one of the sofas or in his own deep-dish chair on the terrace. Then he wanders out the cat door about 11pm when we go to bed and we don't see him until breakfast.

We tried letting him sleep in the bedroom, but there are two problems with that: 1) if the air conditioner is on, the door is closed and I have to get up and open it to let him out (I've only toyed with the idea of a bedroom cat door) :), and 2) even in the winter when we leave the bedroom door open, he doesn't just get up and go; he likes to get up and put his nose in your face and give a low little goodbye sound to let you know he's leaving; then he walks over you -- and little cat paws can be like high-heel shoes when they step on you. :D

Eighteen months is a very long time... what a surprise it must have been for your aunt to see her cat again.

les

Don,
Your aristocrat must have gone to one of the best finishing schools. Despite regular nail clippings (which are now accepted without fuss), we have to live with thread pulls on some fabrics. That's the price we pay for always having models at hand to photograph.