The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

excellent article on street photography

cam

it's on Mike Johnston's blog site, written by our very own Mitch Alland (yes, Mitch, we own you :p ) here.

it's a very interesting read and the comments have already started coming in there. i thought people might want to discuss it further here and have a place to put some of their best shots up.

(note: i request that this not be a quibble about whether street photography is the correct phraseology. i'd personally rather discuss the actuality and the images rather than the terminology. thank you in advance. oh, and big cameras are allowed to join in once again.)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I saw that this morning and have been a little uncomfortable ever since. After letting it sit for awhile, I decided the thing that saved it for me was the word "An" in the title.

After reading the comments I tend to agree with Ken Tanaka's response.

Brian Mosley

I am so glad that Mitch did the article, and I'm enjoying reading the comments on TOP also... really food for thought!

Kind Regards

Brian

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Indeed -- KUDOS Mitch! Mike Johnston has an excellent blog site :thumbs:

W

wbrandsma

Respect Mitch for writing that article and expressing your approach to street photography. As Brain said: "really food for thought!"
I personally think that form factor is part of the story, but also think that emotions adds something extra to a photograph. Whether it be the emotions of the "subject(s)" or those of the photographers.

Cheers,

cam

i'm somewhere in between, Tim. the end of Tanaka's second paragraph pissed me off. it was just a little too flippant and smug.

i think there is room for all sorts in this genre and, frankly, i value what both Mitch and what Tanaka was saying (which is why i mentioned the comments, btw). i *do* treasure form and sometimes that will make a photo stand on it's own. sometimes. but if there are stronger factors (emotions) at stake, then who cares? i am a fan of Levitt and Erwitt, but i'm also a fan of those who tend towards geometry and textures. emotions implied rather than explicitly shown. and there's nothing finer when looking at an image than not knowing or, perhaps, knowing all too well...

jlm

Workshop Member
in this context especially,i thought Meg made a useful contribution, emphasizing content over form

cam

Indeed -- KUDOS Mitch! Mike Johnston has an excellent blog site :thumbs:
Jack, Jack, Jack! where have i been? (yeah, i know, avoiding the M8 forum at all costs ;) ) i just saw your wonderful wedding shots with the 3 year old! they were so sweet and warm and funny (and OMG that lens is just gorgeous!). which reminded me...

i think humour gets very short shrift because people are always going for the grand drama. i like pictures that make me laugh :D