The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Classic Drive By

Lili

I saw this car coming from a long way off, there was just one place where I could get a clear shot.
If it were not for how fast the GRD works on snap mode, and for use of the LCD and my periphial vision, I would've missed this

Last edited:

Will

What a great picture of a beautiful car!

That is a very difficult shot to have got right! Do you find that you are getting better at this sort of picture with all the practice you get using the GRD this way?

I do traditional English war bow archery and we don't line up on the target using sights or even part of the bow or arrow. You just look where you want the arrow to go, and with enough practice you can get very accurate. It is a bit like a cricket or baseball player throwing a ball. I presume that as we use our cameras in snap mode we gradually get better at getting the shots, the camera effectively becomes part of us and we no longer need to consciously work out where to point it or when to press the shutter.

My son took this one. Excuse the strain on my face, it is a heavy warbow and it was the end of an all day shoot.

Last edited:

Lili

What a great picture of a beautiful car!

That is a very difficult shot to have got right! Do you find that you are getting better at this sort of picture with all the practice you get using the GRD this way?

I do traditional English war bow archery and we don't line up on the target using sights or even part of the bow or arrow. You just look where you want the arrow to go, and with enough practice you can get very accurate. It is a bit like a cricket or baseball player throwing a ball. I presume that as we use our cameras in snap mode we gradually get better at getting the shots, the camera effectively becomes part of us and we no longer need to consciously work out where to point it or when to press the shutter.

My son took this one. Excuse the strain on my face, it is a heavy warbow and it was the end of an all day shoot.

Will, I do find the GRD becomes far more instinctive with practice.
My ex used to quote the Western Gunfighters adage;
Beware the Man with one Gun, for he knows how to use It.....
As to your portrait;
OMYGOD!!!
You are shooting in a Warbow!!!!!
That Noblest of Weapons!!!
I adore Longbow and shooting barebow.
I've two longbows (or so we Yanks would call them, you more properly call them flatbows, one made for me by a bowyer from Tyler Texas and the other an old Sky Archery Trophy Longbow).
Nothing so elegant and elemental as yours (Mary Rose Style?).
Here's a shot of my Sky Archery bow's grip and arrow pass.

Last edited:

Will

Well Lili who would have thought it, two of use in this forum shooting in bows! Yes you are right, it is a Mary Rose mediaeval style warbow pulling about 80lbs at 32inches (I'm working my way up to heavier bows but it takes a while for the tendons and ligaments to adapt to the strain) In the picture I'm about to loose a standard war arrow in the flight section of the annual Mary Rose warbow championships. I only managed 194 yards since the standard war arrow is quite heavy and needs a heavier bow really. I did 248yards with a lighter flight arrow the same afternoon.

Lili

Well Lili who would have thought it, two of use in this forum shooting in bows! Yes you are right, it is a Mary Rose mediaeval style warbow pulling about 80lbs at 32inches (I'm working my way up to heavier bows but it takes a while for the tendons and ligaments to adapt to the strain) In the picture I'm about to loose a standard war arrow in the flight section of the annual Mary Rose warbow championships. I only managed 194 yards since the standard war arrow is quite heavy and needs a heavier bow really. I did 248yards with a lighter flight arrow the same afternoon.
Wow, that is so very very cool.
If you refresh my earlier answer has a pic of one of my bows
And it is indeed antic Coincidence.
I love the longbow for the same reason I love the GRD, elegance, simplicity and effectiveness for their intended function.
But only at the cost of intense effort, practice and thought.

Will

Looks like a lovely bow Lili, and I see you have Hugh Soars' book, he was at the same shoot last summer!
What sort of shooting do you do, field target? (left handed?)

Well it's 1.50 am here now so I'm going to turn in.

Last edited:

Lili

Looks like a lovely bow Lili, and I see you have Hugh Soars' book, he was at the same shoot last summer!
What sort of shooting do you do, field target? (left handed?)
Thank you Will that was one of my first shots with the GRD.
I do indeed shoot left handed, around here most of the traditonal shooting is 3D, hunting style courses.
Which can be fun in good company.
But mostly now I shoot at indoor range.
With the Compound Bowhunters practicing for Season.
A Blonde with a 'longbow' draws much attention.
Even more so when she shoots heavy wooden arrows instead of carbon dart.
"Heck Lady you don't need a chronograph for them arrahs, you need a Calendar!"
However after Sir Galahad offered to pull my arrows for me he observed;
"They may be slow but I don't wanna be on th' recieving end!"
He had to brace his foot on the target stand to pull them.
800 grain 32'' Ash shafts fletched with grey barred shield fletch hit very HARD, even from a 42# bow.

cam

jealous of you two, grumble, grumble... showoffs!

got me thinking, though, Will's comments... over on DPR, Jim Radcliffe mentioned that he used the breathing techniques learned by being a sharp-shooter with the camera to keep it still. i tried the belly-breathing techniques i learned for rock-climbing and it worked surprising well.

as for shooting (camera), i've come to use the spotting techniques i learned doing that as well. look for where to go next and do it. the only problem is that it is a rather explosive moment and focus is not always spot on and metering gets its knickers in a twist. (my last experimental pic was an example of this -- wham, bam, thank you ma'am!) i tend to be fairly spot on with my aim... now i just need to incorporate a breathing technique at the right moment...

Photon-hunter

Lil,
love those shots! I have to say the back of the Jap car sticking out in a "shy mode" in your first shot is almost like a joke to my eye..

Cheers!

Lili

Csm, the marksman analogy is a very good one, esp with longer lenses.
For me the analogy of the instinctive archer works best with wide angle, esp shooting from the car, fluid smooth and quick.
But I suspet you know or practice this already from your lovely street work :)

Lili

Lil,
love those shots! I have to say the back of the Jap car sticking out in a "shy mode" in your first shot is almost like a joke to my eye..

Cheers!
Erick, thank you. The Nissan lurking; that was more a matter of necessity that planning on my part, I had to rush to get to the only gap in the left lane traffic to catch this.
The timing and placement just happened to work out very well ;)

sizifo

THis car is always around the area where I live. It looks like a trashy pickup version of the car you took the photo of. What is it anyway? I'm sure I checked this, but forgot. My naive european guess would be a cadillac?

Last edited:
J

Joe Dasbach

The pickup is a Ford. And Lili's lavender/pink gem looks like a Mercury, a slightly upscale cousin of the Ford.

scott kirkpatrick

I saw this car coming from a long way off, there was just one place where I could get a clear shot.

Isn't that pimpmobile a Mercury from the early 1960s? And the pickup is definitely a 1959 Ford. Ford came a few years late to tailfins, but they had their share.

scott