Site Sponsors

Thread: Mission Motel

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Mission Motel

One of the many, quickly vanishing motels in this area of Dallas. They started out as great places for travellers back in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Then most if not all became used by a different clientele. Now this city, like most, seems bent on erasing the memories of its seedier past.
    Soon to be gone; with all their echoes of Dreams, Nightmares, Hopes and Fears.
    I last visited here in October, right after I got my GRD, I went back today with both the K100D with the kit lens.

Today, K100d at 28mm efl

Today, K100d at 28mm efl

GRD Back in October
    Here is the link to the slide show
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette...80324918/show/
    It is looking far more rough.
    No longer for Lease, now the signs are cudely hand lettered 'For Sale'
    Hope the mix of APS and Small Sensors images is ok.
    I partly used my Pentax to get an idea, albeit a rough one, of how an APS sensor would see a place I'd used my GRD in.
    Shades of Sigma DP-1, you know?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mission Motel

Interesting how sometimes quite ugly places acquire beauty with age and history. It is a shame that sometimes the world seems hell bent on erasing it's recent past, but will spend a huge amount of time and resources digging up the more distant.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Interesting how sometimes quite ugly places acquire beauty with age and history. It is a shame that sometimes the world seems hell bent on erasing it's recent past, but will spend a huge amount of time and resources digging up the more distant.
    There is a quote from a movie, I cannot recall which, that given enough time everything becomes respectable or valuable.

The recent past suffers from the whole 'familiarity breed contempt' thing, the distant past becomes exotic and romantic.

For me, places like this echo distantly with the memories, faintly calling to us.

Post Thanks / Like

Then there's Las Vegas, where other cultures are safely transformed into theme hotels and fake fronts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili: really like the second composition and processing of the motel shot; tells the whole story.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Lili: really like the second composition and processing of the motel shot; tells the whole story.
    Thanks Jack, it was straight JPEG from the Pentax.
    I have gotten much better since the first series with exposure and such in camera

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
    Then there's Las Vegas, where other cultures are safely transformed into theme hotels and fake fronts.
    David, Vegas is Smoke, Mirrors and Glitter
    Ain't it great?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lili, this brings back memories of places we used to always see on road trips when I was a kid. It's a shame that most are either long gone or soon to be bulldozed.

Great shots, with both cameras! Don't tell me you're getting the DP1 bug now, too?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Lili, this brings back memories of places we used to always see on road trips when I was a kid. It's a shame that most are either long gone or soon to be bulldozed.

Great shots, with both cameras! Don't tell me you're getting the DP1 bug now, too?
    Thank you, Joan.
    I am attracted by the images, the 'drawing' of the DP-1 work I see here.
    The comments about perofmance, speed, etc. do concern me however.
    So I did some experimenting with the Pentax, admittedly a differing sensor but it does give me some idea...