The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any Samsung TL 500/E1 users???

Martin S

I'd appreciate any opinions about the camera. I realize that there is no MAC based support for RAW images.

Thank you.

Martin

simonclivehughes

Martin,

No, not yet... I'm considering one though. I have seen and briefly handled one and it is a nice camera to hold, operate etc. The images I've seen so far are very nice.

Cheers,

pollobarca

That lens looks like it could be a replacement for the C5050z (f1,8) and they havent
done silly things with the zoom (24/72mm). Plus the swing out LCD....
Seems that the flash shoe is not standard, but then neither is the C5050z which also has extra contacts. Need to see what that does.
I am always surprised by the quality of pictures the cheap PnS Samsung cameras give.
Need to see some from this one too.

b rgds

paul

B

Bill Wilby

I have been using the Ex1, that is what it is called in Canada, for the last month. I have been posting photos on my blog and on dp. I have not used an LX3 before or any other small sensor camera recently and have enjoyed the Ex1 for its handling and IQ. Actually I have not picked up another camera for the last month and carry the Ex1 with me all the time in my pocket. regards Bill Wilby

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

I just got my EX1 (from Bill Wilby at Contact Photo Arts... thanks Bill!). This is a really sweet little camera. The feel of it is reminiscent of the Leica M, or the Ricoh GRD series, very solid and very well put together. It doesn't have that lovely "sticky" covering that the GRDs have but it does fit nicely into my hand without having buttons underneath where you hold it.

The controls are also very well thought out. the wheels all have a good detent and stay where you put them. The video button is recessed so you don't trigger it by accident. The front wheel is not sloppy and requires a firm push to change it's mode.

The swivel screen is just amazingly crisp and colourful. One of the main reasons I bought this camera was the swivel screen, I find them so useful. I am using my Voigtlander 28mm brightline finder on the the EX1 and it perfectly lines up with the 24mm lens position... bonus!

There are a couple of things Samsung needs to address in later FW, such as the histogram disappearing when you adjust the EV (that's just plain silly!) and the AEL button doesn't trigger or lock AF (which would be handy). (A better manual would surely help too.)

Just starting to shoot with it and hope to have some pictures and a mini-review on my website by the end of next week.

Cheers,

B

Bill Wilby

Thanks Simon, I am looking forward to your review and seeing your photos, I hope you enjoy using it as much as I enjoy using mine. Maybe one of us needs to start a "fun with the EX1 thread" Bill

Martin S

Bill and Simon

Since I am a Mac user , and therefore unable to work with RAW images (!!!!!!!!!), I wonder if either of you has worked in RAW, and if so, what are the results???

Martin

Martin S

Just received the TL 500. So far seems unlike most P+S. Less emphasis on bells and whistles. More on basic photo functions. One question - how do you shut off digital zoom?? Menu, and f keys don't seem to have a function disable.
Also, some menu choices seem odd. Such as, "smart range", function description, start image, reset, usb, and PC software settings????

Thanks alot.

Martin

simonclivehughes

Martin,

You can't shut off the digital zoom (in this FW). But, when you zoom, it does not automatically keep going from optical into digital zoom. It stops at the end of optical zoom and you need to then purposefully re-engage the zoom lever. Not the best scenario, but it does work.

Agree on the menu name choices, the manual is similarly English challenged.

Cheers,

Martin S

Thanks Simon.

What do you think the menu items that I listed really mean????

Is the manual in PDF format, or do I need a Windoze machine to read it???

I'm at work, and didn't bring the disk with me.

Martin

Martin S

Apparently Samsung has just released a MAC version of the RAW converting program at their web site. I will try it later today. I hope that it works!!

Martin

simonclivehughes

Don't remember the link offhand (I'm on a different computer now) but it was the Samsung UK website. Look for the support page. It's SilkyPix. I downloaded it but I'll probably just wait until ACR can inhale the RAW files.

Cheers,