The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Central Park

Joan

Over the weekend I took a trip to NY to visit my photographer friend Terry (TEBnewyork) and tried out my "new" Digilux 2. While for many it's "been there, done that and moved on" with this camera, I am delighted with my recent adoption of it and was generally pleased with many of the shots I got.

Saturday was chilly and the sky was gray, so the park was sparsely populated, but the gloomy weather served to make the foliage colors really intense.

View attachment 3961

Sunday the sun came out and the park was FULL of people engaged in all sorts of activities:

Sunbathing in Sheep's Meadow
View attachment 3963

Riding, snacking, and playing
View attachment 3964

Striding along with serious determination
View attachment 3966

And taking buggy rides
View attachment 3967

Minimal PP using iPhoto, some from jpegs and a couple from RAW. Straightened, levels adj. and a bit of cropping.

C&C welcome. Hope you enjoy,
Joan

Terry

Some of us regret letting that camera go!!!! It always gives such good colors.

But now my dear I must add this. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: because you now need to have some fun on google... Your determined woman in yellow can be found on the internet. She is the Chief Judge for the State of NY. Your such a paparazzi!!!!!

Joan

Wow, how 'bout that?!!! It must be the camera, I've never honed in on a genuine dignitary before! :D She was very grim despite her bright attire, sort of jumped right out at me amongst all of the partying park-goers.

helenhill

Beautiful- Joan
looks like you made the right choice in your camera quest
Love the First shot /the swirl & dance of bark against the mesh of greens

Certainly enjoyed your Company & Conversation at Brunch.......
Best, Helen:clap:

Lili

Joan, these shots are great and show the camera and you are meshing nicely
Brava Chica!

A

asabet

Great series Joan! Not sure which I miss more when looking at these - the D2 or New York. The images really have that D2 signature. I especially enjoyed #1, 3, and 4. I didn't even know there was a Chief Judge for the State of New York, but you have gotten a very nice image of her!

cam

very cool! i'm sorry i missed you too, Joan. so much to catch, so very little time... the city's great to hone your skills and bond with a camera, non?

Joan

Beautiful- Joan
looks like you made the right choice in your camera quest
Love the First shot /the swirl & dance of bark against the mesh of greens

Certainly enjoyed your Company & Conversation at Brunch.......
Best, Helen:clap:
Thank you, Helen, you're such a sweetheart. :) Loved brunch with you and it was terrific to see a little slice of your awesome design work. I would so love to come back up there and continue our political discussion ... :ROTFL: ;) ;) AND check out your canvasses when you get those rolling, awesome idea that I'm sure you'll pull off with aplomb.

Ciao Bella,
Joan

Last edited:

Joan

Thanks so much for the kind comments Lili, Amin and Cam. The D2 sure is a fun camera. Now, I just need to figure out which software to use to refine the results. Terry used Lightroom to help me process the RAW files I posted in the Sunset Bar "get together" thread. I really like how those came out, but am a bit 'confoosed' and intimidated by Lightroom. my next trial will be Bibble, I think.

Along with the D2, I also snapped some shots with my little Panny TZ3 and got a few more fun shots in the park, here are my faves from that lot:

View attachment 3973

View attachment 3974

View attachment 3979

Terry got some awesome shots of the skaters with the D300, a fantastic piece of gear for catching people in motion. I'll need a lot more practice to get the hang of that! The little Panny seems to compliment the D2 pretty well though, and they were a great lightweight kit for the weekend.

NY is such a wonderful place, there's something interesting to shoot everywhere you look!

Thanks for looking, :)
Joan

Last edited:

Will

That shot of the trees is so beautiful!
I remember agonizing over the D2 when it first came out but regretfully I didn't manage to persuade myself to get it. I have become more persuasive since then, 5D, GRD, GX100, GRD2 and DP1:p

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Nope,
As liberal Democrat as they come. (appointed by Cuomo, re-appointed by Spitzer)
Conservatives are happier.:D
-bob

helenhill

Nope,
-bob
A LIBERAL ACTIVIST JUDGE.......disguised as a REPUBLICAN
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Can't wait till Joan wakes Up she'll Choke:D
BEST, H

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I don't mean to intrude here, but I thought it worth mentioning that when I scanned this thread quickly, I was under the impression that the judge in question was the Roller Blader (with yellow top). I found that kind of interesting and to be honest, I felt a little let down when I realized my mistake and discovered the correct photo of the judge. You have to admit though, both women look intimidating in their own way. ;)

helenhill

oh God Tim
Thanks for the tip .......
I thought the Yellow Shirt meant Lady in Black Suit /more business like demeanor....possibly abit uptight facial expression
Shall I take my FOOT out of my MOUTH now:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Lady Blader looks too whacked to be a judge but YES there is that Stern demeanor ;););)

Over the weekend I took a trip to NY to visit my photographer friend Terry (TEBnewyork) and tried out my "new" Digilux 2. ...
Joan
Well, you seem to get along very well with it....:clap:

The first and third one are my favourites - and that "Leica Glow" is there, for sure :salute:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
oh God Tim
Thanks for the tip .......
I thought the Yellow Shirt meant Lady in Black Suit /more business like demeanor....possibly abit uptight facial expression
Shall I take my FOOT out of my MOUTH now:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Lady Blader looks too whacked to be a judge but YES there is that Stern demeanor ;););)
I think we need an official clarification. :eek:

Terry

Official clarification. The post I made about the judge wearing a yellow shirt was before Joan posted the rollerblade shot.

Per - my favorite picture of Joans from the D2 was posted in the Sunset forum on the "meet up" thread....that shot is so good of is worth either going for a look (I can't post the link) or Joan reposting the shot(s) in this thread!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Nope,
-bob
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously, Joan, I enjoyed your shots. Congratulations on the new Leica. I look forward to more.

Joan

A LIBERAL ACTIVIST JUDGE.......disguised as a REPUBLICAN
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Can't wait till Joan wakes Up she'll Choke:D
BEST, H
Run, Forrest, RUN!!! :ROTFL:

Nope,

-bob
So true, Bob! ;)

Actually, I think her downcast expression is most likely because her feet are killing her in those heels. :p My own tootsies were toast wearing sneakers roaming around on all that pavement.