The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh GX100 Additions

• Thread starter The End Of Print
  • Start date
T

The End Of Print

Anyone else spiced up their Ricoh GX100 (or their GRD's) with other-brand accessories/additions?

Heres some of my combinations.

Ricoh GX100, Ricoh HA-2, 43>46mm Step-up Ring, Nikon 16mm WC-EC8 Wide Angle Lens, Lomography Coloursplash Flash.

Ricoh GX100, Ricoh HA-2, 43>46mm Step-up Ring, Nikon 16mm WC-EC8 Wide Angle Lens, Viewfinder from Lomography LC-A+ Wide Angle Lens Kit.
(The viewfinder seems to be a similar wide angle to the lens so works well as a true viewfinder)

Ricoh GX100, Ricoh HA-2, 43>46mm Step-up Ring, Nikon 16mm WC-EC8 Wide Angle Lens, Lomography Ringflash

Side view...

To attach the Lomography Ringflash, i'm using the adapter for the Lomo Fisheye2 camera. It covers the tripod hole in the Ricoh GX100 so what i'm going to do is make a hole in the adapter so i can bolt it on so that it's solid!
Surprisingly, the ringflash actually fits the GX100 BETTER than it does to the Lomo LC-A and Holga lol!

Ricoh GX100, Ricoh HA-2, 43>46mm Step-up Ring, Nikon 16mm WC-EC8 Wide Angle Lens, Mirage 400 (old skool flash)

In order to get the Nikon lens to fit the Ricoh HA-2 adapter I had to get a 43 to 46mm step up ring. It's a beautiful lens, I got it for a bargain £32 from ebay. It is very heavy - probably about the same weight as the camera.
It manages to give a superwide image but keeps lines relatively straight - impressive stuff! It does however give some vignetting in the corners when on full wide zoom. I dont mind this though - can add a bit of character to pics.
If you zoom in a little bit though, the vignetting dissapears.
Here's an example of the vignetting ....

JDavila

Hello TEOP,

I just posted this in another thread:

I noticed that you have not done the necessary modification to your HA-1 hood and Nikon lens. Without these modifications you will(as you now know I'm sure) get a strong vignette. So in fact to get a clean shot free from vignette on the corners of your pic you would have to shoot at 19mm.

My advice to to you is this, check out the thread: Report on mounting Nikon WC-E68 on GX100 and you will get a clear understanding on how to proceed with the alterations. Read it all very carefully.

I have modified the WC-E68 for fun and can now shoot at 16mm but It will take some work and allot of patients. I also bought a 15mm Voigtlander finder to get the 100% field of view when using the 16mm.

Good luck
Jeff

T

The End Of Print

Jeff,
Just read your report :)
That is good news that it's possible to get the lens working without vignetting.
I'm going to have to hit a hardware store and get myself a metal/plastic file to do the necessary tweaks. Kinda scary lol, but i'm sure i can do it carefully enough.

JDavila

TEOP,

Yes it was scary for me even though I only spent 35 bucks on the lens.

I picked up another HA-1 adapter because once you do this modification you need to keep the lens on it at all times.

Again re-read the post I suggested until you are done. I also suggest a range of files both for small projects and bigger ones. If you read down further in the thread I ask how to protect the lens. Tape the cover on good and tight. Do this every time you file down more metal to be safe.

It took me several tries to get it right. I will post some shots of what 16mm looks like with this lens.

Jeff

JDavila

Brian,

When the lens is on the Ha-1 it is secure and tight but the Ha-1 to the body can come loose quickly do to the weight of the lens.

jeff