The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pana LX5 will be announced on July 21

Rawfa

It´s supposed to have a very "new and advanced sensor"...aren´t all new cameras advertised like this? :D
It could be very cool.

http://43rumors.com/ft4-panasonic-lx5-to-be-announced-on-july-21-and-keep-an-eye-on-the-new-sensor/

Shall we start the wish list?

- Larger sensor (all those waiting for a micro 4/3 sensor can forget about it...Pana will release ANOTHER compact camera with a micro 4/3 sensor and a fixed lens later)
- Better dynamic range
- Better iso performance
- Faster AF
- Smaller more compact body (I want to be able to comfortably put it in my jeans pocket)
- Front wheel ring control
- Longer zoom range
- Faster lens (f1.8)
- Get rid of that freaking removable lens cap!!!

Last edited:
C

canuck88

It's already live on the panny website:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-...eras/model.DMC-LX5K_11002_7000000000000005702

Listed specs:

DMC-LX5K
New! 10.1 Megapixel Digital Camera
•F2.0 Leica DC Summicron Lens
For all camera user who loves photography and pursuing image quality
•1/1.63" High Sensitivity 10 megapixel CCD with evolved sensor technology
Realized industry top level image quality in compact digital camera
•Creative photography
My color mode, Manual exposure even in movie mode.
•HD Movie Recording - AVCHD Lite

There's also a white version.

V

Vivek

Don, What I am looking for is the G3 (with no :cussing: video ) and a 14/2.5 prime. Together with that, a decent, reliable flash of the sophistication/utility of the Samsung SEF20A would make me very very satisfied.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Don, What I am looking for is the G3 (with no :cussing: video ) and a 14/2.5 prime. Together with that, a decent, reliable flash of the sophistication/utility of the Samsung SEF20A would make me very very satisfied.
Well, when you find it, get me a set too.....

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi Rawfa,

You've probably read the specs on the Panasonic site and the corrections on the rumours site by now. In that light, let me look at some of your wishes.

- Larger sensor (all those waiting for a micro 4/3 sensor can forget about it...Pana will release ANOTHER compact camera with a micro 4/3 sensor and a fixed lens later)
I'm sorry. Reality has caught up with the rumours site and it seems that physics were right when they said it couldn't be done. Also, µ43 as a standard states a lens mount, not a fixed lens. I would really have liked a fixed lens µ43 camera with a range like the LX3, too. But frankly, I'm glad I decided to order an E-P1 before any of the announcements were made. No more anxiety, just a short wait until it arrives and I can go back to work.

- Better dynamic range
- Better iso performance
I'm curious to see how the LX5 will handle high ISO. On another forum, somebody mentioned that R+B would be read twice and G would be made twice as sensitive. That's a different way of implementing high ISO than pixel binning. We'll soon know if it works.

- Smaller more compact body (I want to be able to comfortably put it in my jeans pocket)
It seems the body is a bit larger, but not as deep, as the LX3's. Do note that Panasonic now states the depth including the lens (not excluding like the LX3 !) With the released specs, I'm quite certain you'll need to have a very big pocket before it fits.

I found the LX3 to be too large to comfortably carry in my pants. Since that meant I had to carry a small bag during summer, I decided that I might as well replace my LX3 by an E-P1 when the former broke. The E-P1 is smaller and lighter than my SLRs (Olympus OM) and rangefinder (Zorki) and it doesn't make most of the compromises that a real pocketable camera does. We'll see.

- Front wheel ring control
- Faster lens (f1.8)
Nope.

- Longer zoom range
Yep. But I don't know if this is a good thing. With its wide angle zoom, the LX3 was clearly a niche product. That means that most users who suffer from featuritis will immediately forget about its existence by merely looking at the specs. By introducing a 25-90 zoom, we immediately see that hawks from the superzoom and the EVIL camera worlds are swooping down and picking on the fact that the camera doesn't have a real zoom (like theirs does), that the LX5 is really much bigger than their Sony NEX, and so on.

I don't know if Panasonic will sell more cameras now that it has a longer zoom, but I don't really appreciate the extra attention.

- Get rid of that freaking removable lens cap!!!
Coming from a 1980s SLR, I don't understand the problem. Part of the fun of photography surely is to unconsciously remove the lens cap, stow it in one of the many coat and pant pockets, work away, then spend 15 minutes frantically searching through all pockets to find back the cap ? :ROTFL:

Peter.

jonoslack

Puff....I´ll buy the LX3 back again before I buy this camera.
Doesn't it all depend on whether it really is good at high ISO?
Still, I now completely doubt the existence of the small fixed lens 4/3 lens camera - but I do accept the possibility of a new compacter 4/3 cam in the autumn.

P

PeterLeyssens

Hi Rawfa,

Puff....I´ll buy the LX3 back again before I buy this camera.
Yeah, I know the feeling. I expect high ISO will be pretty good, though. The EVF will be interesting for those who want that, but I'm not. And the longer lens is not an advantage in my opinion: I'd rather have a 21-48/f2 because it'll be clearly a niche product that divides people between understanders and others.

But, I'm very happy to say that for me, the decision has become really quite obvious ! I'm not going to buy the LX5. I could've been seduced by it after dropping y LX3 (lens stuck). After I told the repair shop I wasn't planning on paying €408 for a repair and please send it back, it turns out the lens now works again. So, I got a repair for around €40 + shipping. And I already ordered my E-P1+17 kit, too. Those two should be enough toys for the next few years (except for the fast primes that will be announced, and then a lensbaby, and an E-P2 body for the EVF, and and and :ROTFL:)

I still wonder what they were going to ask another €360 for...

Peter.

Rawfa

Doesn't it all depend on whether it really is good at high ISO?
Still, I now completely doubt the existence of the small fixed lens 4/3 lens camera - but I do accept the possibility of a new compacter 4/3 cam in the autumn.
It depends on lots of things and most of them were not addressed. This sounds more like the LX3.1 than the LX5. But who knows...I´ll be happy to be wrong.

Terry

Two things on the LX5 launch that appear interesting.
1) the change in controls away from the joystick to GF1 handling. Sounds Good
2) the new step zoom which will take the user from 24 mm to 28, 35, 70, 90mm automatically in steps. This was a great Ricoh feature.

Here are the official details. This camera looks very promising. The samples look good and reading between the lines the person reading the preview thought it was going to be hard to get your hands on.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10072110panasonicdmclx5.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1007/10072112lx5gallery.asp

Rawfa

The price is 500$. For that kind of money you can buy a second hand GF1, EP1, EPL1...and for 50$ more you can buy the NEX3 with the pancake. If they had only made it smaller you could maybe justify that it was a jeans pocket camera and the other cameras weren't but they didn't even do that. Quesabesde has posted a iso 1600 comparison and it's a bit better but not a world apart. The only good thing to come out of this is the drop in prices for the LX3 (if it´s not taken out of circulation) .

jonoslack

The price is 500$. For that kind of money you can buy a second hand GF1, EP1, EPL1...and for 50$ more you can buy the NEX3 with the pancake.
Hi Rafa
well, it's a degree of magnitude smaller than anything other than the NEX with a pancake . . . which is missing from 22-90 :)- and it has a reasonably large range zoom. the F2 makes up a stop for low light.

I think it's a different beast really, this is a small segment of the market, and whether one wants one or not it seems to be a welcome addition.

It'll be interesting to see whether Leica do a d-lux5

P

PeterLeyssens

I agree with Jono. The reactions now are probably quite similar to when Panasonic introduced the LX3: that's not really a follow-up of the LX2, is that all, can't they do better ? I'm pretty sure the LX5 will be a very nice camera to use. On DPReview, a reviewer already mentioned the UI was much improved and very close to the GF1. Sounds like another evolutionary step for a photographer's camera: nothing fancy you can get out of the specs, just a good solid offering when you use it.

Peter.

Rawfa

The LX3 was a world apart better than the LX2. I had high hopes for the LX5. I´m looking forward to a good jeans pocket camera but I´ve been spoiled by the quality of cameras such as the EP1 and the GF1 and have prooven that it won´t take long to fit an even better sensor into an even smaller body.
At the moment I´ll just wait for the rumored compact micro 4/3.

sonomichele

The LX3 was a world apart better than the LX2. I had high hopes for the LX5. I´m looking forward to a good jeans pocket camera"
I think the only really good jeans pocket camera is probably the S90. The others are just that little bit larger.

But the LX5 is much as I expected. There really aren't any technological miracles that have occurred over the past 2 years that warrant some totally new miracle camera. But they took most the niggling problems and appeared to have fixed them, scroll wheel instead of joystick, slightly longer lens, 1:1 easily accessible, supposedly better menus, supposedly better ISO, etc.

They took one of the best cameras in the class and made it a bit better. While we all might want something radically different, it looks to me like they really listened and upgraded the LX3 in the way people were asking but without coming out with an entirely different sort of camera. If you are good with a small sensor camera, it looks to me like Panny has raised the bar once again.

Michael