Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: London Town

Post Thanks / Like

Re: London Town

Quote Originally Posted by Per Ofverbeck View Post
    Paul, very good images; especially the third one ("GX100") is a minor masterpiece!
    While I like all the images, especially the last, no. 3 would never strike me as a minor masterpiece. Nos. 2 and 3 do strike me as interesting and quirky (with some phallic stuff going on, or maybe it's just me...) Per, could you elaborate a bit on why you think no. 3 is so excellent? Paul, I'd love to hear your comments as well of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Some photos of the south bank from me. The first one is of the artificial sun at the tate, that was a while back.
    Last edited by sizifo; 4th April 2009 at 12:12.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sizifo View Post
    While I like all the images, especially the last, no. 3 would never strike me as a minor masterpiece. Nos. 2 and 3 do strike me as interesting and quirky (with some phallic stuff going on, or maybe it's just me...) Per, could you elaborate a bit on why you think no. 3 is so excellent? Paul, I'd love to hear your comments as well of course.

sizifo,

I think Per was saying the camera is a masterpiece.
    I took that nr 3 pic wanting to show the bridge from a different
    place.There was queue for the normal photographing position that everyone uses.They could sell tickets... Phallic - I thought it was a funny shot ,St.Pauls
    cupola grew out of the bridge. I dont normally see willys everywhere! Although now I see it.Must be a freudian slip.I also liked the different things going on in the picture , water flowing,girl looking at and moving towards something, writing on the glass etc etc. I had to work a bit on the picture
    while I was taking it.

Nr 2 I liked the flowers and the guy ran into the picture , and got a branch
    in a strange place. I wanted to show how green London is in the centre of town.The runner made the picture for me.

Now if the Tate would clean its windows:-

Glad you like nr 4.This I saw when I was on the escalator.The Ricoh powers up quick and I was able to snap this.I think this is one of my favourite pictures.

thanks for the comments Per and Sizifo

b rgds

paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pollobarca View Post
    sizifo,

I think Per was saying the camera is a masterpiece.
    ....l
    Well, no; I did mean your image (which you gave the caption "GX100" )

Well, there are several details, not all of them easy to verbalize (why is Alfred Stiglitzī "The Steerage" a major masterpiece?).

First, the obvious surprise effects, like people walking around above the water in a not entirely obvious topology, and the unexpected dome of St Paulīs exactly above the bridge pillar. Then the entirely different colour keys in the upper and lower parts, and the careful balance between the heavy pillar-dome structure and the main figures on the bridge.

All these elements contribute to a puzzling mixture of disconnectedness and unity, in a very complex image, and thus one tends to remain with the image and try to sort out what exactly is going on in there. Obviously, all this is subjective, but I find I have to look far longer at this image than at the superficially similar, but far simpler, escalator image directly below it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice. Are these shot with the small Leica?
    Yes, they were with the D-lux3

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, there are several details, not all of them easy to verbalize (why is Alfred Stiglitzī "The Steerage" a major masterpiece?).

First, the obvious surprise effects, like people walking around above the water in a not entirely obvious topology, and the unexpected dome of St Paulīs exactly above the bridge pillar. Then the entirely different colour keys in the upper and lower parts, and the careful balance between the heavy pillar-dome structure and the main figures on the bridge.

All these elements contribute to a puzzling mixture of disconnectedness and unity, in a very complex image, and thus one tends to remain with the image and try to sort out what exactly is going on in there. Obviously, all this is subjective, but I find I have to look far longer at this image than at the superficially similar, but far simpler, escalator image directly below it.
    Paul,
    I agree with what Per wrote above. I really like that shot and it forced you to look at it longer and sort out all of the details. Really well seen.

Now, through the window at the Tate I actually think works better with the dirty windows. Contrast of old window looking out to the modern bridge etc. Another image that keeps you looking longer. Well done again.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, no; I did mean your image (which you gave the caption "GX100" )

Very interesting.

Let me first say that I've been over that bridge so many times, that the geometry struck me as nothing weird, and I knew exactly where everything was. In fact it it was only after a few viewings that I realized the pillar and the dome were aligned on purpose. I can be an idiot, I know.

So I missed a lot of what's going on, because I knew the place, and also thought that the composition of the people didn't quite work. (And when I say "didn't work" I mean in terms of it being a really GREAT photo. I like the photo a lot, no question about that). What I was looking for instinctively - imagining that I was there taking the photo myself -, was a person doing something interesting, people whose heads are barely visible to be more apparent, the guy on the lhs to get out of the way, and not at the geometry of the composition as you described it.

In general I find that certain photos immediately strike me with something, whereas others take a lot more time to appreciate. For example, "The Steerage", which you mention, I just saw for the first time, and was immediately very impressed, w/o appreciating any of the details in the photo. On the other hand, I was looking through a Winogrand book a few days ago, and must admit that a lot of the stuff didn't strike me at all immediately. It took quite a lot of thought to begin to appreciate the intricacies of the compositions.

I'm not sure whether I'm won over by your description, but am very grateful for it.

This might be an interesting question more generally. Does a photograph lose some of its appeal if you are very familiar with the place where it was taken?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some photos of the south bank from me. The first one is of the artificial sun at the tate, that was a while back.
    Lovel all of them, however third one of the jumper off the stairs simply rocks!

Post Thanks / Like

All,

thanks to you all for the comments. I am a Londoner but I havent lived in London for 27 yrs now. So London is all new to me . This was the first time I had seen the Millennium Bridge ,I did wait a few seconds for the people in front of the dome to move on and give a better view. It actually had snowed a few minutes before this picture (GX100) was taken.
    The Picture through the Tate window. I wanted to zoom and just get the bridge and background. But the glass was so dirty thought it best to show the window too and use the dirt. Thanks TEB newyork for the comment. You have to be quick to get the pic as the Tate doesnt allow photography in that gallery and the staff stop you.This is where a camera like the GX100 wins.You couldnt pull out a DSLR from your jacket and get the picture.

Thanks to all

b rgds

paul
    Last edited by pollobarca; 19th May 2008 at 01:06. Reason: forgot to sign

Post Thanks / Like

All,

thanks to you all for the comments. I am a Londoner but I havent lived in London for 27 yrs now. So London is all new to me . This was the first time I had seen the Millennium Bridge ,I did wait a few seconds for the people in front of the dome to move on and give a better view. It actually had snowed a few minutes before this picture (GX100) was taken.
    The Picture through the Tate window. I wanted to zoom and just get the bridge and background. But the glass was so dirty thought it best to show the window too and use the dirt. Thanks TEB newyork for the comment. You have to be quick to get the pic as the Tate doesnt allow photography in that gallery and the staff stop you.This is where a camera like the GX100 wins.You couldnt pull out a DSLR from your jacket and get the picture.

Thanks to all

b rgds

paul
    Thanks a lot. I found this discussion very illuminating. My esthetics often don't agree with people who know a lot better. It's great to pick up on how different people see the same photo, and there's a lot to learn from it. I just hope you didn't take my comments as dismissive of your photos, because I really liked all of them, it's just that to start an interesting discussion it's necessary to go a bit beyond "great photo" etc.. As for the phallic thing, well, the runner had the branch in a strange place, and one photo leads to the next... It's what happens to me in springtime.

The reason I know that area so well is that I used to go jogging around the themes, usually crossing the millennium bridge, for a few years. It must be one of the most impressive jogging paths in the world.

Cheers,

Vid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lili View Post
    Lovel all of them, however third one of the jumper off the stairs simply rocks!
    Thanks. I believe they were practicing some new dangerous kind of sport that involves jumping over large gaps in an urban setting (parkour?)

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, also, I can't get it out of my head that the guy in the middle on the photo in post 10, is some well known figure? He just seems so familiar. Do any of the Brits among you recognize him?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fantastic shots Sisifo and Will, makes me not only wish I had the GRD2 but also the money for a trip to London.

More?
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, also, I can't get it out of my head that the guy in the middle on the photo in post 10, is some well known figure? He just seems so familiar. Do any of the Brits among you recognize him?

He looks like Michael Palin , Monty Pythons Flying Circus member. But he also looks a bit young for him so its most probably a look-a-like.

all the best

paul

Post Thanks / Like

I get the feeling he is a musician or promoter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I get the feeling he is a musician or promoter.
    I also that he's some promoter or DJ, or something. He was with four or five bald guys with a beard. He does look like Michael Palin, but MP is over 60 already.

Post Thanks / Like

I also that he's some promoter or DJ, or something. He was with four or five bald guys with a beard. He does look like Michael Palin, but MP is over 60 already.
    A gang of posers then.

Sizifo- didnt see it before-your Harrods Pic is lovely

b rgds

paul

ntrolls

Smithfield, tone-mapped image from a single RAW. Still tons to learn for a decent result...

I guess a single RAW/tone-mapped images must contain more noise than multi-exposure HDR, but this is very grainy/noisy compared to some of the better tone-mapped images I've seen. Do you have any tips?

Post Thanks / Like

A gang of posers then.

Sizifo- didnt see it before-your Harrods Pic is lovely

b rgds

paul
    Thanks. Definitely a gang of posers. He just seemed familiar from somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ntrolls View Post
    Smithfield, tone-mapped image from a single RAW. Still tons to learn for a decent result...

I guess a single RAW/tone-mapped images must contain more noise than multi-exposure HDR, but this is very grainy/noisy compared to some of the better tone-mapped images I've seen. Do you have any tips?

No tips really. Doubt I'd be able to get more out of it with Aperture + shadow tool. It looks good, even with the noise.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=ntrolls;29261]Smithfield, tone-mapped image from a single RAW. Still tons to learn for a decent result...

Nothing wrong with this picture unless you are looking for noise.
    Viewed from the right distance on the screen its a beautiful picture.
    I am sure it would print well or look good on a digital frame.

b rgds

paul

ps what software are you using?

ntrolls

Nothing wrong with this picture unless you are looking for noise.
    Viewed from the right distance on the screen its a beautiful picture.
    I am sure it would print well or look good on a digital frame.

b rgds

paul

ps what software are you using?
    Thank you pollobarca and sizifo. I did a small 4x6 print today to see what it is like. It mostly turned out okay, except they did the white border in very fancy way - I was expecting a much simpler one. The highlight in mid-right cloud came out a wee bit yellowish, but I can live with it.

Paul, I used Photomatix. It seems to be easier to deal with compared to doing the same thing in Photoshop.

Post Thanks / Like

London plane

GRD2 21mm ISO400

Utilitarian graffiti

GX100 24mm ISO800

Post Thanks / Like

Will,

I love the tones of the tree shot.

Post Thanks / Like

Will, I really love the first B&W conversion. How come you chose to shoot the second at ISO800, I mean, given that it seem like daylight?

Here is GRD at the Wembley stadium. England vs. Croatia game in November. Not a great photo - GRD is not exactly a sports camera - but I'm just trying to tease any english football fans on this forum, with Euro 08 coming up. As you may guess, I'm croatian.
    Last edited by sizifo; 4th September 2008 at 09:52.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=sizifo;29781]Will, I really love the first B&W conversion. How come you chose to shoot the second at ISO800, I mean, given that it seem like daylight?

I was playing with grain in the rain. I think it was my first outing with the GX100 and I was finding its limits.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Office Tower.

I remember having a meal in the rotating restaurant at the top with my grandparents in about 1967 or 8. There was an IRA bomb explosion in it in 1971 but it wasn't closed until 1980 when another IRA bombing campaign made it too much of a security risk.

The building on the right is the BBC broadcasting house.

DP1

Post Thanks / Like

DP1 B&W conversion. Looking back from the PTO.

All Souls Church which is next to broadcasting house. I'll have to go back and get one with all the steps in next time!

DP1

Post Thanks / Like

Will, I also have a fascination with cranes, at leas a subconscious one, since I do have loads of photos of them. Will try and pick some to post. Like the DP1 crane photo a lot.

Here is one of the photos I posted at the beginning of the thread. Admittedly the PP was c**p, way too dark. Here are two more versions (the first is the original one)? Any preference or suggestions?

Vid
    Last edited by sizifo; 1st September 2008 at 10:57.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the middle one best. I would probably give it a little highlight reduction some slightly aggressive unsharp mask, but thats just my style.
    Last edited by Will; 24th May 2008 at 10:33.

ntrolls

What a nice surprise, this is the corner around where I study (KCL). I think I also like the middle one.

Will, I also have a fascination with cranes, at leas a subconscious one, since I do have loads of photos of them. Will try and pick some to post. Like the DP1 crane photo a lot.

Here is one of the photos I posted at the beginning of the thread. Admittedly the PP was c**p, way too dark. Here are two more versions (the first is the original one)? Any preference or suggestions?

Vid
    Here's one I took at Canary Wharf yesterday after mild cropping.

Post Thanks / Like

What a nice surprise, this is the corner around where I study (KCL). I think I also like the middle one.

Here's one I took at Canary Wharf yesterday after mild cropping.

Really. I did my phd at King's. What do you study, if you don't mind me asking?

The blue in your photo is very characteristic of London. Must say Canary Wharf is one area of London I don't know at all. Been there maybe twice.

Here's a photo of a mega crane near Harrods (sorry, not small sensor).

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the modern architecture near Chiswick.

DP1

ntrolls

Really. I did my phd at King's. What do you study, if you don't mind me asking?
    PhD in computer science - except I seriously lack the mathematical rigour that is necessary to become a scientist, so I prefer the "software engineer" hat

Here's one from Somerset House.

I don't know what it is, but this picture never looks level no matter how I rotate it...

Daz Tazer

i was down in London at the weekend for the League Two play off final at Wembley.

here's wembley way, with some Stockport County fans in the foreground.

Post Thanks / Like

Great images, I specially like the Wembley arch picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great images folks!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Daz Tazer

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Great images, I specially like the Wembley arch picture.

thanks.

ntrolls

A construction crane in Aldwych. B&W from GX-100 with texture-mapping.

I always find it mildly surprising that London's skyline contains so many construction cranes. I used to think this was a very old city, not changing much. That was a wrong impression!

Post Thanks / Like

A construction crane in Aldwych. B&W from GX-100 with texture-mapping.

I always find it mildly surprising that London's skyline contains so many construction cranes. I used to think this was a very old city, not changing much. That was a wrong impression!
    Definitely!

Post Thanks / Like

Love that image and what you've done with it ntrolls.

ntrolls

Thanks, Will!

Sizifo, were you standing on top of something when you took the Harrods mega-crane shot? The perspective is very interesting (as well as the tones of colours).

Post Thanks / Like

View looking from the new london assembly building (the one affectionately known as Kens T-------e, but perhaps now it will have to be Boris' b-----k?)

GX100

ntrolls

Fantastic! I just came back from "The Scoop" Is the building open to the public? This is such a nice view!

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if the public can get to the balcony I took the picture from. I was there for the Urban Design Compendium launch, so I could wander around looking at the views.
    Funny coincidence that you were there the day I posted the image though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a couple of "classics" of mine from Southwark:

Leica D-Lux 3, ISO 800, PP in Lightzone.

Post Thanks / Like

They are great Maggie. Looks like the technique is to do a Judo throw on a girl and then she is won over lol

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pictures, first one like a lot. Typical drunk english people. I think the
    Wright Bros Oyster and Porter house had something to do with the dancing.
    "I ruined my health by drinking to everyone else's." Brendan Behan
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pollobarca/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice pictures, first one like a lot. Typical drunk english people. I think the
    Wright Bros Oyster and Porter house had something to do with the dancing.
    Either that or the Wine Wharf! (across the street from the "Bankside" sign)

Post Thanks / Like

London Assembly Building again, this time looking down the inside.

QX100