The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

London Town

sizifo

These are some recent photos that I took in London.

It would be nice to see other people's London photos as well. Maybe it's a good idea for a thread.

I'll start off with 8 darker ones, but there are more...

sizifo

GRD II. That's the only camera I use now. Though I still have my GRD I - I'm biding my time for the day the look of those jpegs will bring its price up to 5000 pounds :)

Last edited:

sizifo

Ah, and the "Crown cafe bar" is with the 40mm. I have to say that if there was a GRD40 I'd use that all the time. It's a great focal length, but this way it's too much of a pain to lug the converter around.

Will

Great idea sizifo. Some great shots you have there. I used to run a design studio in Flitcroft Street so they are of very familiar scenes for me. And you have one with Centre Point, my favorite building in London!

My contribution.
Night shots.

Liverpool St Station.

Nelsons column

China town

Soho

Endel Street

My favorite subject, Centre Point.

N

nei1

East end near whitechapel taken with a minox b,25asa b&w film,scanned and then badly photoshopped,no idea what I did,sorry if you cant post film images,all the best,Neil.
Its a bit small isnt it? Actually the smaller it is the better it gets.

Last edited:
V

VladimirV

Great idea for a thread. Since most posted darker pictures, here some more colorful pictures from London.

sizifo

Will, I like the "maison Bertaux" a lot.

Isn't Flitcroft Street where I'm standing for my second photo (the church one)?

Center Point is a strange building. I'm not sure it's anywhere near my favorite, but the honeycomb structure is interesting. The immediate surroundings are dreadful though: the underpass, and the fountain which you can hardly walk by because there is no pavement. I've read somewhere that architecture students learn how not to design the access to a skyscraper by studying the Center Point case :D.

Anyway, here is another Center Point photo. And also Harrods at night.

sizifo

Neil, the photo looks cool. Is it the scan that makes it look ancient, or does the minox camera give it that look?

VladimirV, the phone booth is excellent.

Yes, one question. I've taken the photo below near Embankment, and I'm sure the guy is somebody well known...

This also reminds me, near embankment in buckingham street, i stumbled on a photo gallery that exhibited photos of Mohammed Ali by Sonia Katchian. She was a photographer that followed him around in his latter years. There was some great stuff there. I think the exhibition closes sometime very soon, or perhaps it already closed..

Will

Will, I like the "maison Bertaux" a lot.

Isn't Flitcroft Street where I'm standing for my second photo (the church one)?

Center Point is a strange building. I'm not sure it's anywhere near my favorite, but the honeycomb structure is interesting. The immediate surroundings are dreadful though: the underpass, and the fountain which you can hardly walk by because there is no pavement. I've read somewhere that architecture students learn how not to design the access to a skyscraper by studying the Center Point case :D.

Anyway, here is another Center Point photo. And also Harrods at night.
Thanks.
I like your new CP image and the Harrods one is great, what a strange atmosphere you captured!

I know I'm a bit perverse liking Center Point so much but it is hated so much by the traditionalists, and has been used over the years as a whipping boy that I have grown to be very fond of it. The surroundings are great, full of litter, dark corners, beggars and dug dealers. I love seeing tourists standing looking at their guide books with there backs to a pimp and a couple of his 'enforcers' with this clean modern (quite old now though) building behind them all LOL Unfortunately it is all going to be changed when they do the TCR tube 'improvements though.
Yes, you were standing in Flitcroft Street in your second picture, with the Elms Lester gallery on the right foreground.

Will

Great idea for a thread. Since most posted darker pictures, here some more colorful pictures from London.

Vladimir I had no idea that there was such a thing as two sizes of phone boxes? Never seen that before. Great picture of the Thames skyline as well.

Will

No apology for another Center Point image and one of the metropolitan police memorial which strangely echos the building.

GRD2

GRD2

sizifo

No apology for another Center Point image and one of the metropolitan police memorial which strangely echos the building.
It does have the look of a 60s carpark. Or rather many carparks stacked on top of each other. But I can see how one can grow to love it. Talking about the immediate surroundings. I love the Korean restaurants, and the 12 bar (below).

Will

I like the 70s guy, very London that one!

OK, I'll give you a break from Center Point (this time)

Paper

Cheese

Tobacco

sizifo

Is that the pub on Neil street, in the last photo? You've posted that photo before, no? There was some discussion about shooting behind your back, right (and the ethics of street photography)? It is very very good.

Here are some more photos. Various things on the move.

helenhill

THE GRD2 is the BEST
SIZIFO: You shine with your action shots
WILL: Love your last two /Cheese- British isle AND Wine & Spirits....Charming & Moody