The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

London Town

sizifo

Many photos to catch up on.

PhD in computer science - except I seriously lack the mathematical rigour that is necessary to become a scientist, so I prefer the "software engineer" hat :)
I did mathematics\physics (=string theory), and am still doing it, as a postdoc in germany.

>Sizifo, were you standing on top of something when you took the Harrods mega-crane shot? The perspective is very interesting (as well as the tones of colours).

Thanks. I think just on the stairs of one of the victorian houses.

Will, those two city hall photos are seriously cool, ESPECIALLY the last one.

Last edited:

sizifo

Here are some third-world London photos, with some experimental PP. It's probably not evident from the photos how bad this particular neighborhood looks in real life.

Forgot exactly where it was. Think somewhere around Willesden Juncion.

N

ntrolls

Maggie : great shot!

sizifo : so you must be holding your breath for the LHC to be ignited - the collider itself will make a very photogenic item, I often imagine.

pollobarca

I was born in Willesden-it wasn't that bad..(50 yrs ago). Nice pics all the same.

Maggie, love the clouds.Very exciting to me!

an un-third world pic of Liberty's

b rgds

paul

sizifo

I was born in Willesden-it wasn't that bad..(50 yrs ago). Nice pics all the same.

Maggie, love the clouds.Very exciting to me!

an un-third world pic of Liberty's

b rgds

paul
Sorry to inadvertently insult you... Indeed I was at Willesden Junction, but that's a mile away from Willesden (accoring to wikipedia), and the two places may be miles apart :) as far as shabby-ness. I really don't know the area at all.

However, around Willesden Junction: garbage dump, bus depot, seriously shabby houses. Third world is an adequate description. Although it had a rough charm as well, just about.

Anyway, my point was that London has a very different side to it.

Nice photo btw. Which camera was that?

sizifo

Maggie : great shot!

sizifo : so you must be holding your breath for the LHC to be ignited - the collider itself will make a very photogenic item, I often imagine.
I've have never been to cern, but it is supposed to be very impressive - visually, i mean :).

pollobarca

Sizifo- not insulted at all ! As a small kid lived in Curzon Crescent Willesden.
Left there for Tooting when I was 6.

Camera is my GX100 for the Liberty pic. Glad you like it. Liberty didnt seem to bother about people photographing in their shop. My daughter had me take a few for a project she was doing.

paul

N

ntrolls

Australia House, Aldwych. Converted to B&W from RAW (thank you Wouter for your wonderful article!). This is a nice building, but it is so huge I don't know how to get a decent framing.

N

ntrolls

Hmm, didn't know that the absolute URL changes when you replace a flickr image. Here's the image in the previous posting (I played with the curve a little bit, hence the replacement).

Will

Good version ntrolls. That building looks like an interesting challenge, perhaps next time I'm in the area.....

Here is another one from a while back in Oxford Street with, you guessed it, Centre Point in the back ground.

GRD2

sizifo

Will, I've noticed that in your B&W conversions you often choose lift the shadows to a rather noisy level. For example, in the faces of the two women in the above photo. Is this deliberate, or maybe some artifact of the jpeg conversion, or how you upload it? Does it print well like this?

N

ntrolls

The famous London City Hall. Had a chance to get in during the open day. It's really intriguing, I recommend a visit if you're in London during the open days.

Open day schedule

Will

Will, I've noticed that in your B&W conversions you often choose lift the shadows to a rather noisy level. For example, in the faces of the two women in the above photo. Is this deliberate, or maybe some artifact of the jpeg conversion, or how you upload it? Does it print well like this?
I B&W tend to go for the overall impact rather than worry about noise, particularly in shots like the one above where there is so much going on and where I didn't catch the sun on the facial expressions I wanted to show.. I wanted it clear that the woman walking towards the camera was aware of it and obviously quite aware of me and seems happy about it, (helps that I'm so damed handsome of course)
I'm not sure how it would print but grain usually reduces quite a lot so I'm guessing it would be OK.

Will

All GRD2

Couldn't bring myself to do a B&W conversion on this one because the tattoos are so colourful

sizifo

Lovely photo. And I absolutely agree, it's a stunning building, and the light inside the main entrance is very special. I've got some photos from there, will dig them up and post.

sizifo

OK. I only found a few, and almost all slightly blurry. Here's one in B&W and in color.

ntrolls, just as a question, do you have a link to larger versions of your photos? They are on the verge of being too small.