The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Cat Sleeps.

D

D upton-Hackett.

This is not a very enterprising photograph but the true story made me sad.......
While visiting the Isle of Guernsey one of the Channel Islands i came across this Cat sleeping in an art shop window. The shop owner explained that the cat was a stray that comes every day to sleep in her window, as most of the cats on the island have Leukaemia she has taken pity and lets it sleep in peace.

Last edited:

pollobarca

Derek, I was intrigued and checked out the web. Seems to be much more of a problem in Guernsey, Leuchemia along with feline AIDS etc . Some happy souls are busy neutering cats wholeslae to cut down the feral cat population of guernsey ( and making the cats miserable too).

A friend of mine in Crete has turned cat care into a business :-

http://www.kissamos-cats.com/services.htm

seems that the ex pats in crete need somewhere to lodge their animals etc. Trust my mate Steve to catch on... I think cats must be much easier guests to look after than humans are.

a nice little picture and Story Derek. I at present am in Sud Tyrol . Picture taking is not much fun . Height and UV are playing me around in these mountains.

all the best

paul

darr

Derek,
Thanks for the picture and story.

A few years ago, when my son was a little guy (now he is 21), his kitty passed away suddenly. I decided when the time was right, I would take him to the pound to get another. So we went to the pound and he picked out this darling young female that looked a lot like a squirrel in color and he named her, Monet. She had the sniffles and sneezes so I thought it best to get to the vet asap and separate her out of our pet family. It turned out that beautiful Monet had kitty leukemia. We had two other cats in the family and were advised to get rid of her since it is contagious to other kitties, but Monet could live a long life with the disease.

I searched for about three days trying to find a resolution for Monet. Finally my search turned up a solution. There was this lady that lived way up in the mountains of Georgia (we lived near Atlanta at the time), that operated a kitty leukemia home. I contacted her and assured her a decent donation if she could take care of precious Monet.

So my son and I drove for about two hours in the snow and ice finding this nice lady and her home for sick kitties. Poor Monet had been separated in a cage in the other side of our home and would only be out for some lov'in every now and then, so I was anxious to set her free, but sad at the same time. It all turned out well as the kitty home was acceptable to my standards and there were a lot of happy kitties living there!

My son I think, learned a valuable lesson on the appreciation and care for animals. Just this year, he called me from the pound in Tallahassee (where we live now), and told me he wanted to adopt this huge red tabby he wanted to name Baron, but since he is a college student he needed help with vet bills since his first stop the next morning would be at my vet's office for a complete check up. My kid knows that I have a huge spot in my heart for pound babies, so of course Baron has been added onto my vet account along with my five dogs and one cat.

If I had my life to do over, I would definitely be doing something similar to what that wonderful lady in the Georgia mountains was doing. I often thought of Monet and missed her sweet soul. I am happy knowing that she knew she was loved. :)

Thanks again for posting the picture and the story!

Kind regards,
Darr

Lili

Derek,sadly sweet image and story
Darr, good for you; I take in strays and care for them, I feel so for the many I simply cannot and it is good to know of folks like that Lady

D

D upton-Hackett.

Well what a surprise i had reading your lovely responses its nice to see people can show love and affection to animals who desperately need our help in many ways, it brought a tear to an old duffers eyes thank you Lili, Paul and Darr and anyone else who wishes to add to this post.

Don Ellis

This is really a lovely photo and a touching story -- I'm sorry for the situation but glad that I know more about it now. It not only expands our understanding of the world but our empathy.

les

Ditto to everything Don has said. You learn the most surprising things on this forum - what an erudite bunch you all are.