The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

E-520 launched

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Apparently, the E-520 has been launched today in the Philippines (that would be tomorrow for those living in America ;) ). Same upgrades as the E-420, plus 3 IS modes:

IS1: vertical & horizontal stabilization
IS2: vertical stabilization only (for panning)
IS3: horizontal stabilization only (for upward or downward camera movement)

For those of us drawn between the E-3 and the E-420, this looks like a nice option. Still a month or two until it hits the shops though.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
They apparently launched the 9-18mm f/4-5.6 as well. I did some calculations on the weight of this equipment:

E-520 + 9-18 + 14-42 + 70-300 = just under 1,600g. That's less than my Nikkor 80-200 AF-S. Seems to be an unbeatable travel kit.

Add the 50mm f/2.0 for macro and portrait, and the 25mm pancake for lightweight walk-around, and the weight is still under 2 kilograms.

I may need a smaller camera-bag :)

Brian Mosley

Great reach and ultra compact... but I'd consider the 11-22mm and 14-150mm OIS + E-420 for maximum reach / IQ / compact travel kit.

If you had a backup E-420, the 25mm pancake is also a superb quick snapshot cam.

Kind Regards

Brian

A

asabet

Have you seen anything about price on the 9-18 zoom? Someone in another thread said $599 MSRP, but that sounds very high for an f/4-5.6 "Standard" grade lens. Perhaps their just being proactive in their US pricing, assuming that the dollar will continue to weaken.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Brian,
I kind of agree, particularly since I have the 11-22 already. My only problems with that are the battery puzzle (my E-1 and the E-520 use the same battery) and the price of the 14-150.

The nice part is that there are so many quality choices within the 4/3 system.

Brian Mosley

I was just thinking the 11-22 probably doesn't need IS and the 14-150 is exceptional quality with built in IS... buy some spare batteries! LOL and rob a bank for the 14-150 :D

Kind Regards

Brian

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
and rob a bank for the 14-150 :D

Kind Regards

Brian
Good idea. I'll start practice on the "stick 'em up" phrase :angel:

Should I say it with a deep, determined voice, or will a hysterical "I'm willing to do whatever needed" variety work better?

You're right about the 11-22. It can be used handheld at surprisingly long shutter speeds, at least with the E-1.

Brian Mosley

:eek:On second thoughts Jorgen, maybe not the time for a career change:ROTFL::ROTFL:

The satisfaction of using the PanaLeica lens will far outlast the pain of purchase ;)

Kind Regards

Brian

J

JeffCharles

The satisfaction of using the PanaLeica lens will far outlast the pain of purchase...
Thanks a lot Brian. Just when I had convinced myself that a 520 with the kit 40-150 plus my 14-54 was the "sensible" thing to do, I read this. :mad::D

Is the 14-150 pretty good wide open at all focal lengths? How is the IS? Does it provide as many stops as the 510/520 in-camera IS?

Jeff

Brian Mosley

Hi Jeff, I've just spoken to Ian (a fellow Safari Group member) and he has his 14-150mm welded to his E-510. He generally uses the in-body IS, but says that he can't tell the difference between in-lens and in-body IS performance.

We had a laugh about that... it's the sort of thing that some forum member on dpreview will no doubt spend 3 days photographing bookshelves in various lighting conditions... to conclude that there's half a stop performance gain one way or another - followed by much discussion about the validity of the test method.... and so on and so on.

Meanwhile, the bloomin' thing works well enough! lol

The bottom line, for me, is add-on OIS for the E-420 and this kind of image quality :

Kind Regards

Brian

J

JeffCharles

Hi Jeff, I've just spoken to Ian (a fellow Safari Group member) and he has his 14-150mm welded to his E-510. He generally uses the in-body IS, but says that he can't tell the difference between in-lens and in-body IS performance....
The bottom line, for me, is add-on OIS for the E-420 and this kind of image quality :
Thanks. I have seen some of the parrot shots before. They look great.

OIS for the E-420 and a single-lens to cover a broad range are the two arguments for the 14-150. On the other side is cost ($1300 in the US), and the f/5.6 max aperture.

Certainly, many Nikon users have opted for the 18-200, which doesn't cost much less and is almost certainly not as good optically.

I just have to determine if it is worth an extra $900 (at least) over an E-520 configuration, although I don't believe that I would regret it.

(I guess these US dollar prices sound like chump change to those in Europe or the UK. Prices in the US are very low, especially considering the value of the dollar. I live in Mexico, but will be in the US this summer and will get whatever camera and lenses I decide on when I am there.)

Jeff

Joan

Decisions, decisions .... I finally sold my E410 body, and now I need to choose between the E420, the E520, and the Panny L10, OR switch to Nikon and go with the 18-200 and a couple of primes. I played with the L10 at B&H Photo and it is SO perfect ergonomically for me, plus the articulated LCD is fab.

I just don't know what to do. Meanwhile, my "new used" Digilux 2 is going back to Leica to be repaired or replaced (Everything is perfect on it except the EVF is messed up, darn it.) So, I'll be shooting with my trusty TZ3 P&S for a while. Crazy here.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Joan,
If you're used to Olympus and Leica quality, don't even consider the Nikkor 18-200. Optically it's ok (but in no way better than the PanaLeica 14-150), but it doesn't feel well built, and the zoom creep was driving me crazy.

Joan

Hi Jorgen,
Yes, I know what you mean ... the Nikon bodies are really great, but to get the kind of lens quality that Olympus/4/3 offers you have to really go for the big heavy glass. *sigh*
I am determined to have a light weight kit, come hell or high water. If I had $3K+ to spend, it would be easy. L10 with 14-150, 25 f/1.4 and the 9-18 UWA. That's all I'd ever need. I'll have to join you in the bank robbery business, LOL.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen,
I'll have to join you in the bank robbery business, LOL.
Still practicing. Can't seem to get that mean, threatening voice right though :angry:

I'm kind of in the same boat. I use Nikon and Olympus and find some of the good Nikon camera plus lenses combos too heavy to carry around, and sometime to lift even, at least for an extended period of time.

A couple of more primes (a 100mm f/2, which is on the roadmap, and a 40mm f/1.4,which is not), and I might go for Olympus only, except maybe for the 80-200 AF-S. That's my magic lens :thumbup:

Brian Mosley

Hi Jorgen,

I guess the 35-100 f2 (70-200 EFL) would be worth a look... not small and not cheap but certainly worth the cost and weight IMHO. I'm still saving for that one!

Cheers

Brian

helenhill

Well I'm in heaven over..........
my E420 & 50mm f2 Cron / just 'Got It' tonight
:):):):):):):):)

a PURRfect compliment to my GRd2

Best, H

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen,

I guess the 35-100 f2 (70-200 EFL) would be worth a look... not small and not cheap but certainly worth the cost and weight IMHO. I'm still saving for that one!

Cheers

Brian
I would of course love to have that one, but the disadvantage with the expensive Olympus gear, is that the used market is so tiny, which means I have to fork out buckets of money for all those nice lenses.

I'm considering buying an OM 100mm f/2.0 as an interim solution btw. It's supposed to work extremely well on the 4/3 cameras. Unfortunately, it's not easy to find.

jonoslack

Well I'm in heaven over..........
my E420 & 50mm f2 Cron / just 'Got It' tonight
:):):):):):):):)

a PURRfect compliment to my GRd2

Best, H
Hey, you changeling you . . I thought you were getting a 330?
Anyway, I'm sure you'll both be very happy together.
:clap::clap:

helenhill

Hey, you changeling you . . I thought you were getting a 330?
Anyway, I'm sure you'll both be very happy together.
:clap::clap:
I did but YOU were right......
Viewfinder WAY too DIM (e330)
LCD dreadful in terms of viewing what you shot / better pixs once downloaded

So that went back via mail /kept the lens & went to 17th Street Photo (thank you CAM)
who were nice enough to charge the battery for me in advance and sell me body only
Here in the States they generally sell the body w/the 42-54 mm Combo /No Pancake lens yet for the US

and Finally I got to work hard and post some Fab pictures......instead of being the GetDpi loser :ROTFL:
(and Shine like Brian whose work is ALWAYS SPOT ON Brilliant)

Best to You Jono Dear
helen

Last edited: