The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ooops I did it again

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I saw this after my reply. I will say a smile would have helped. There really is no comparing. Also, my D300 does well at ISO 3200 (better than GRD2 at 800 for sure. So, it will be interesting to see how I use it. I don't mind noise per se but skin tones have to render OK for me in a B&W conversion and it may take some time to get that right.
Mitch got it right but he had secrets. I wish he was still around.

oh Terry, that cheese burger shot makes me hungry.

Last edited:

cam

Bob,
I am bringing it with me and we can play with it together. Once you see what you are getting from the D3 and your M8's you are not going to be overly pleased. However, it will be fun to see how it does out on the street.
it's a totally different beast, and not really fair to compare it at all to the big boys... that said, what it does -- it does brilliantly, and is THE street camera! i seriously love bokeh and all that, but when you're shooting blindly from the hip, you never know exactly what you're going for until the moment is upon you. this is where the GRDII (and, i must say, the small sensor) shines.

the only thing i really really miss is shutter priority. i know it can be done in full manual but i don't always have the time to shoot that way.

i am having a blast with my R-D1, but it will never replace my GRDII for shots on the street. period. i already kind of knew that, but my time in NYC solidified that fact... it's a different way of shooting, but once you're able to make it yours, it's priceless!

eta: those actions i told you about do beautiful b/w conversions, especially for skin tones.

Last edited:

Terry

it's a totally different beast, and not really fair to compare it at all to the big boys... that said, what it does -- it does brilliantly, and is THE street camera! i seriously love bokeh and all that, but when you're shooting blindly from the hip, you never know exactly what you're going for until the moment is upon you. this is where the GRDII (and, i must say, the small sensor) shines.

the only thing i really really miss is shutter priority. i know it can be done in full manual but i don't always have the time to shoot that way.

i am having a blast with my R-D1, but it will never replace my GRDII for shots on the street. period. i already kind of knew that, but my time in NYC solidified that fact... it's a different way of shooting, but once you're able to make it yours, it's priceless!

eta: those actions i told you about do beautiful b/w conversions, especially for skin tones.
Cam,
It is more a sense of pullng up the file and saying s**t how do I work with this file. There just is more you have to deal with and reorient your workflow a bit. So, not comparing per se but just thinking about workflow.

The actions are quite interesting to me. I just wish they were for Lightroom!

sizifo

Mitch got it right but he had secrets. I wish he was still around.

oh Terry, that cheese burger shot makes me hungry.
Agree (with the first bit, not hungry right now).

Also many of the photos in Mitch's series were shot with a film Leica. And wheras I was not serious about comparing the quality of GRD output with that of the M8, it certainly isn't far fetched to compare it with the film Leicas.

But in any case, comparing image quality is not the all important thing, because image quality is not all important. For me it is the character of the GRDs that I fell in love with. Ended up replacing my Nikon D80, which I used once in a blue moon, with the GRDI, and later GRDII, which I carry around all the time.

sizifo

There is one more thing I wanted to say.

I use the GRD II 90% for B&W, even though I'm happy with my B&W conversion most of the time. This partially has to do with the fact that the color on the small sensors is a very problematic thing. Comparing, say with certain D80 shots, there is just no contest. Some of the color shots could not be taken with the GRDs in a thousand years. There is just too little color gradation to make it work as a believable reproduction of the richness of color in real life. Now, the GRDI gave appeal to color photos via a very special oversaturated look. The GRDII jpegs are c**p, and I've not been able to reproduce the color look of the original GRD in raw conversion.

The sharpness of the lens is phenomenal, and I guess this is the reason why the shots are loosely speaking comparable to the film leicas, as I mentioned earlier. And, in my opinion, are easily better in this respect than the D80 with the kit lens.

Maggie O

Terry, LightZone plays very well with small-sensor files, especially in B&W. Mitch and I both use it.

Lili

There is one more thing I wanted to say.

I use the GRD II 90% for B&W, even though I'm happy with my B&W conversion most of the time. This partially has to do with the fact that the color on the small sensors is a very problematic thing. Comparing, say with certain D80 shots, there is just no contest. Some of the color shots could not be taken with the GRDs in a thousand years. There is just too little color gradation to make it work as a believable reproduction of the richness of color in real life. Now, the GRDI gave appeal to color photos via a very special oversaturated look. The GRDII jpegs are c**p, and I've not been able to reproduce the color look of the original GRD in raw conversion.

The sharpness of the lens is phenomenal, and I guess this is the reason why the shots are loosely speaking comparable to the film leicas, as I mentioned earlier. And, in my opinion, are easily better in this respect than the D80 with the kit lens.

I hear you about JPEGS in GRD
As regards color; I find some of the best color work with the GRD comes from playing with strong and large areas of bright color.
Almost Surreal instead of Real.
Crayon instead of Watercolor if you will.
However, I really feel what the GRD First Gen does best
is B&W jpegs.
Love the creamy, sparkling tonal range it can produce.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
There were a couple of contentious threads about his art and street photography in general, I think he got bored and left. I don't know where he went from here. I have conversed with him some via email but I miss his input to this forum.

Will

All his images posted on Flickr lately have been from Namibia, presumably he is busy there and will re emerge here when he is back? All his new images posted are landscapes and wildlife shots with the D300, and are really good of course.

sizifo

I hear you about JPEGS in GRD
As regards color; I find some of the best color work with the GRD comes from playing with strong and large areas of bright color.
Almost Surreal instead of Real.
Crayon instead of Watercolor if you will.
However, I really feel what the GRD First Gen does best
is B&W jpegs.
Love the creamy, sparkling tonal range it can produce.
Very nicely put, and I agree completely with the first part (I've never used the B&W in camera conversion on the GRDI, so don't know). In fact, a good proof of this point is in the 4 park photos I posted in the London thread. The first is taken with a Nikon D80, and the richness of color tones is superior to the other shots, which are with a GRD. This is clear even on the small jpegs. And I think if the GRD photos were shot with the nikon, they would look better, since the grd doesn't add much esthetic value in the way it erases the color info for these photos. But often it does, especially in the situations you describe.

Lili

Just an example of a shot that I think works only because of the crazy GRD colors.

sizifio, exactly what I meant
The GRD of both generations can produce lovely, subtle color, but not so well as larger sensors.
But they glory in intensity; a different palette indeed!