The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigh

Lili

Got home today late
Laptop hard drive died screaming
Learning Vista
On a new Laptop

Most, not all pics backed up to external drive

mwalker

Subscriber Member
yikes...you may be able to recover the hard drive..don't panic and find a good computer geek...and pray..good luck

helenhill

:cry:Sorry to hear that Lilii
it happened to an old ibook of mine this past summer......
decided not to deal with the hard drive issues
bought a new Desktop and always backup .......(almost) EVERYTHING
Best- H

Lili

Thanks everyone
I do have a 320GB external drive that has utilities to back everything up
Sadly I never did
I lost everything shot with my GRD, only that on my flickr account is left

Will

Thanks everyone
Sadly I never did
There are firms that will recover data from almost anything Lili, it might be worth looking into.

A

asabet

Thanks everyone
Sadly I never did
Lili, you can almost certainly recover those photos. There are broadly two classes of hard drive failures. One is pretty easy to recover from using software, and the other requires surgery where the HD is taken apart and the platters are reassembled in a new HD. Either way, you can get your data back, but the latter is very expensive. Still, there's a decent chance its the former. SpinRite is a program which will recover your hard drive data if it can be recovered through software. $89 is a bit pricy, but nothing is better than SpinRite for this situation. No affiliation with the product, but I've seen it save more than one person's stuff.

Regards,
Amin

Lili

Jono...Cam? LOL I looked at Macbook Air, a bit too pricey, LOL
I may get a desktop soon as well and am looking at Mac's, for now I got little Vista laptop
Ironically I had been shopping for a small laptop as my Toshiba Satellite Desktop Replace,ent, while gorgeous, at 10lbs was a pain to travel with.
Amin, I will give your Idea a try, its worth a shot
in the mean time I will back up once a week.
Will, thanks, seems we've both had some tech issues this week, eh?

Martin S

All is not lost. For a usually outrageous amount of $$ you can have the drive's contents recovered by specialized firms like Drivesavers in sunny Calif.

Had that done and usually the data can be recovered.

It depends on how much the data is worth to you, and how much are u willing to spend to retrieve it.

Best of luck making that decision. (I have had to do it twice - ouch)

Martin

sizifo

It really sucks when this kind of thing happens. One reason for getting an apple: Time Machine. I've never before backed up very regularly (luckily w/o consequences), but TM really makes it hassle free.

Will

All macs now come with Time machine which backs up your hard drive to an external drive and up dates it every hour. At any time in the day you can go back to any previous hour in that day, or to the last update on any previous day.

Just a thought to help you make up your mind about going Mac.

sizifo and I must have been typing at the same time lol

DavidE

Oh my, Lilli, sorry to hear the bad news.

I agree with Amin about SpinRite, though it has been a while since I've used it personally. If your drive still spins, SpinRite can probably rope off the bad sectors so you can boot the drive and access the sectors that are still viable. If your drive doesn't spin, it may be a controller or drive head issue. That's when you should consider sending it to a company that specializes in data recovery.

Robert Campbell

Oh dear, Lili, sorry to hear about this.

I gather that data can usually be recovered from disks, but it may cost - as per posts above.

I suggest you try SyncBack from http://www.2brightsparks.com/
This can be set up to automatically backup/synchronise your laptop with the external HDD. And, it makes a true copy of whatever you wish it to, not some mysterious 'bak' type files which you then need a program to 'undo'. You can set it to run automatically and forget it. Very simple and effective - and the freeware version is all you need.