The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bleak

Lili

Player, Yes Dylan is a tough act to follow.
Picutres can indeed equal a thousand words tho...

Joan,
Exactly, Nero fits, decline of an Empire and such
When first I was married, right out of school, I knew these areas well.
To come back and see what they've become is sad

Robert Campbell

Perhaps slightly OT, but a couple more quotes:
Lewis Carroll's acrostic poem at the end of Alice in Wonderland

Life, what is it but a Dream?

Yeats's epitaph, as written by himself:

scanned from an even older Kodachrome than the one above.

DavidE

Then there's the case of Spike Milligan (best known for The Goon Show). I wasn't until two years after his death that his family agreed to put his chosen epitaph on the tombstone. They translated it into Gaelic ("Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite"). He wanted, "I told you I was ill."

[Not my photo. I found it at this site: http://www.glenister.info/milligangrave.htm.]

sizifo

Then there's the case of Spike Milligan (best known for The Goon Show). I wasn't until two years after his death that his family agreed to put his chosen epitaph on the tombstone. They translated it into Gaelic ("Duirt me leat go raibh me breoite"). He wanted, "I told you I was ill."

[Not my photo. I found it at this site: http://www.glenister.info/milligangrave.htm.]
I don't mean to lower the level of the discussion, but this made me think of Billy Connoly's great idea for an epitaph. Written in very small letters at the bottom of the tombstone, so that the grave visitor has to come up very close: "You're standing on my balls". :ROTFL:

B.C is a Scottish comedian, for those not familiar.