The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone found a quick release plate/head for point and shoot cameras?

spotmeter

My Casio EX-FC150 seems to have plastic threads in the screw hole.

I want to shoot high speed videos on a tripod and don't want to wear out the threads.

The distance from the center of the screw hole to the battery compartment door is a little more than 1/2", so any plate would have to be smaller than this.

Does anyone know of such a plate and head combination?

simonclivehughes

Maybe try looking at the QR plates that the Gorillapods use, they are pretty small. Or, have a look at Kirk's PZ-130 plate which is for the G1/GH1 etc. It is about as small as I've seen for a Arca-style plate. This plate has 3 places where the screw can placed so you can get it pretty close to things like a battery door etc. I use this on my m4/3 and Sony NEX cams.

Cheers,

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That is not much at all.
Arca makes a 32mm square "slidefix" plate which might work (0.62 inch center to edge). It can work with any dual channel arca clamp or their slidefix device. I have one of these on order, but Terry reports that it is a bit "strange"
-bob

simonclivehughes

With the mounting screw moved to one of the outer slots, the edge of the Kirk PZ-130 is only 3/8" from the centerline of the screw. Should work for you nicely. The other side would be 1-1/8" from the screw center.

Cheers,

Terry

Hot,
The first set up looks too big for what the OP was looking for. The one I posted gives access to the battery on the G's which is very useful.
On the second one with the super strong magnet any thought about a super strong magnet and electronics? I never thought that the two were a good combo.

pollobarca

Have a look at the Manfrotto modo pocket tripod. I looked at mine and if you keep it to one side you will half 1/2 inch at least. Its also a very good tripod! Although it is not tripod shaped.
costs about 16 to 20 euro here. Saturn are knocking out at 16 euro.
http://modo.manfrotto.com/

b rgds

paul