The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Square images

Will

It is a crop so I cheated but it is square!

Thought we could have a thread for square images perhaps?

GRD2 f 3.2 1/160 ISO80
Flower only about 10mm across

Last edited:

pollobarca

I have been cropping to square a fair bit, I have tried to use the square format option but I dont want to lose my RAW file on the GX100

Heres a China Air container- come fly with me!:eek:

this one made it to the company staff magazine:clap:

An artist with the square format is this guy, mmatsuba:-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mmprint/2513932384/

b rgds

paul

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Great idea! One of the things that grabbed my attention on the GRD2 was its ability to shoot a square raw. Hopefully I'll have a few to add after this weekend :thumbs:

Will

That is such a good image ntrolls.

Here is one that made me laugh. Note that the one of the flies is blurred even though it is on the same focal plane as the other one lol

GRD2

W

wbrandsma

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Naughty, naughty. I didn't know you were a pixelpeeper :D Maybe therefore macro photography is popular :rolleyes: Cool one Will

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I did get one decent one a few weekends ago and posted it in the other thread, but thought I should add it here as well since it was taken with the GRD2 in square mode ;)

Will

That really is a beautiful image Jack.
I've always liked the idea that there is a sculpture in every stone just waiting to be revealed. I like to think the same may apply to photography, there is perhaps, always a beautiful image somewhere in every scene if you can only find a way to bring it out. The greater the photographer the more often it happens. The rest of us just keep on trying, and maybe once in a while we get it right!

D

Dirac

Square, street-y, with grain: it was fated to be inserted here:

Actually, a 4:3 cropped to 1:1, because doing street without a real continuous mode is already difficult enough. For architecture and landscape, however, the 1:1 functionnality of the GRDII is a treat.

Will

Nice images Daniel. The GX100 seems to be producing some wonderful B&W work from a lot of people. Doing a GX100 B&W search on Flickr is interesting.

Do you, or would you, use the GX100 for professional B&W work?

Daniel

Thank you, Will.

I don't do photography catering to clients who have expectations of how a quality image should look like - subjects in focus, sharp, good colors, noiseless - so I'm not sure if I can give a good answer. You probably can use this camera for some professional work so long as you use it within it's limitations.

However, I know I can see myself using this camera for "artistic expression". And, if the images succeed in conveying the message or story in print, I know I would certainly want to show them off and sell them.

Will

GRD2 can't decide if the black or the white background is better? I think the white one makes it more unusual perhaps.

Last edited: