The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX-5 first impressions (adding to Vincent's review)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I hope Vincent gets the tags sorted some time; I would like to see those images.

My additions to his remarks are, basically, this camera is what the LX-3 should have been (I had one of those, too, but the 60mm EFOV was too short for me). This camera is simply excellent. In dot point form, here are the things I like most about it:

* the step zoom function; I keep mine on 35, and the other settings are simply instinctive clicks away; you don't need to look at anything (and this is displayed in the finder, too).

* the EVF is 100%, and definitely good enough for framing and allows the cameras to be used as—a camera, pressed to the forehead, and braced by arms and elbows. For me, SO much better than the LCD, although that still can be used when that's the best way to frame.

* the 24mm EFOV alone means that I tend to take this little camera out the door rather than the GF-1 with the 14–45: the LX-5 will fit in a pocket, whereas even King Kong's pockets will struggle with any of the µ4/3rds offerings from Panasonic, in my experience.

* the UI is excellent; exposure compensation is instantly accessible via the wheel, and you can have the histogram display immediately (and from memory, while composing, too).

* my only quibble (and this should be able to be fixed by a firmware update) is that flash exposure compensation is not available either by the Quick menu or the Fn button. As far as I can tell, the only way to change the flash power is to go into the shooting menu (but click up, rather than go through the list); this means that this setting is (again, from memory) about 4 clicks away, too many for me.

I am very pleased with this camera, and I will be putting my S90 and GF-1 up for sale when I get back from a John Deere shoot in North Queensland in a week or so.

I really like this little camera! :thumbs:

Braeside

Thanks, answered most of the questions I had.

Just waiting for Aperture to support the RAW format and I may be ordering one.

sonomichele

So if the light is good, you really don't miss your GF1? I've always been curious, some people say the difference is dramatic, others say you really can't tell except in low light or really large prints. I was just curious.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I do like this camera. As an owner of the DLUX4 (LX3) I will pretty sure go for a DLUX5 (LX5), as it is available now (soon) from Leica.

Main reason, this cam is really small and finally gets into the area (lens wise and obviously IQ wise) of M43 and NEX cameras, but has a much smaller form factor. Which I prefer for my every time with me camera!

And I was already happy with the IQ from the DLUX4, which should be easily outperformed by the DLUX5.

Only thing I complain is the EVF with only 200k pixels, Panasonic (Leica) should have been able to offer a 1.4MP version. But maybe there is room for improvement.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
A real nice feature is ...
You can set your focus and step zoom where you want.
Even if the camera powers off, it returns to your settings on power on.
Great camera, all the things that bothered me with the LX3 have been fixed.
Don